[comp.sys.amiga] Katin vdk:

mwm@violet.berkeley.edu.UUCP (04/12/87)

Since several people have asked for it, I've made it available. You
can find a copy (shared & uuencoded) in pub/amiga on ucbvax. Use
anonymous ftp. I've also mailed a copy to amiga-binaries-request.
Deluge them with request to have it pushed forward in the queue if you
want a copy.

Note: this is true PD software; no copyright notices, no shareware
notices. Also no support. If the ASDG RRD did what I wanted, I'd stay
with it, as I'd have someone to shout at if it broke. In this case,
you can shout at Katin, but he has no obligation to fix it.

	<mike

--
Here's a song about absolutely nothing.			Mike Meyer
It's not about me, not about anyone else,		ucbvax!mwm

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (04/13/87)

In article <3137@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@violet.berkeley.edu(Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) writes:

>Note: this is true PD software; no copyright notices, no shareware
>notices. Also no support. If the ASDG RRD did what I wanted, I'd stay
>with it, as I'd have someone to shout at if it broke. In this case,
>you can shout at Katin, but he has no obligation to fix it.
>
>	<mike
The last time I spoke with Neil, the vdk is *not* shareware or public
domain.  Instead, it is a commercial product, soon available (with
support) through an Amiga software house.  The copies that are floating
around are various Beta test copies, with the ownership information removed.

I'm sure Neil would appreciate it if the program were not passed
around.

			andy finkel
--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore/Amiga		 /or/ pyramid!amiga!andy }

"Do not meddle with the affairs of wizards, for it makes them soggy and hard
to light."

mwm@eris.UUCP (04/14/87)

In article <1665@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:
>The last time I spoke with Neil, the vdk is *not* shareware or public
>domain.  Instead, it is a commercial product, soon available (with
>support) through an Amiga software house.  The copies that are floating
>around are various Beta test copies, with the ownership information removed.

The vdk.doc file clearly labels it as a beta copy, and has Neil's name
(and a phone number) not far away. If there was a copyright notice
attached, someone (somewhere) broke the law by removing it.

If it's going to be released as a commercial, supported product, I
hope that the competitions pricing ($10, if you feel obligated) is
kept in mind.

A copy has already gone to comp.amiga.binares. You'll have to talk to
them to prevent further distribution.

Better yet, have Neil do it.

	<mike
--

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (04/14/87)

In article <3160@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) writes:
>In article <1665@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:
>The vdk.doc file clearly labels it as a beta copy, and has Neil's name
>(and a phone number) not far away. If there was a copyright notice
>attached, someone (somewhere) broke the law by removing it.

The copy I have also has the following:
Copyright (c) 1987, Neil Katin
All rights reserved.
on the disk label.  It's also within the handler (type it opt h to see it)

>If it's going to be released as a commercial, supported product, I
>hope that the competitions pricing ($10, if you feel obligated) is
>kept in mind.

You get what you pay for.  (Only kidding, Perry!)  Seriously, market
forces (like a shareware rrd being available) will set prices.

>A copy has already gone to comp.amiga.binares. You'll have to talk to
>them to prevent further distribution.
Well, comp.amiga.binaries ?  I hope you read this newsgroup,
as mail bounces.

I hope everyone has enough class to not distribute copyrighted software.
(BTW, Nowadays, there must be an explicit statement putting something
 in the public domain.  It is still protected even if there is no
 statement, just no damages can be collected.  I think.  Since there
 is a notice, however, damages could be collected. )

>Better yet, have Neil do it.
Neil isn't currently on the net, actually, which is why I'm doing it.

>	<mike
software.  It isn't public domain or shareware, so it should not
be distributed.

			andy finkel
--

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (04/16/87)

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) wrote in article <1679@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>:
>It isn't public domain or shareware, so it should not be distributed.

It has been available for almost a month on People/Link.  I doubt that
anyone knew Neil didn't want it distributed -- the Amiga community seems
better than most about not stealing software.

I suggest people put any restriction notices in the documentation -
unfortunately copying a disk with a copyright notice on the label
doesn't mean the label gets copied.  Also, even I am guilty of not
using TYPE OPT H on a file to see if it has a copyright notice
imbedded within.  Indeed, if it's that hidden, what purpose does
it serve in protecting against accidental copying?

If Neil's original disks had a distribution restriction on them, it
should be fairly easy to find out how one slipped out to the public.

Lastly, a copyright notice does not restrict redistribution per se.
It does restrict it from sleazebags selling it as their own work.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.   page@ulowell.{uucp,edu,csnet}