[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Hardware Problem

jwabik@umnd-cs.UUCP (04/15/87)

A friend is having some (what he believes to be) hardware problems with
his Amiga -- Has anyone experienced (and found a solution for) theses
symptoms:

Turn on Amiga -- Before it finishes self test (and plays that catchy little
tune), the screen will turn green, pause for a second, then re-start the
self-test process.  This happens only when a warm-boot is performed.  Leaving
the machine off for .5 hour will let it be rebooted once.

Any ideas?   Thanks  ..

upl@puff.WISC.EDU (Future Unix Gurus) (04/16/87)

In article <542@umnd-cs.D.UMN.EDU> jwabik@cs.D.UMN.EDU (Jeff Wabik) writes:
>A friend is having some (what he believes to be) hardware problems with
>his Amiga -- Has anyone experienced (and found a solution for) theses
>symptoms:
>

>Turn on Amiga -- Before it finishes self test (and plays that catchy little
>tune), the screen will turn green, pause for a second, then re-start the
>self-test process.  This happens only when a warm-boot is performed.  Leaving
>the machine off for .5 hour will let it be rebooted once.

I have almost the exact same symptoms. What I did was to attempt to play
with the printer cable with the power on (a REAL no-no) and blew out my
parallel port. I can boot off of kickstart 1.1 but not 1.2. Apparently
1.2 has more rigourous machine tests. (I think) My solution has been
to leave my future sound plugged into the port. For some reason this
seems to patch the problem (i've been meaning to fix it, I understand
the chips that handle the printer port are socketed, or at least thats
what I'm told).

Jeff Kesselman
upl@puff.cs.wisc.edu

hah@omepd.UUCP (04/16/87)

[]

A green screen during the boot-testing indicates bad RAM.  If you have access
to a 9600 baud terminal, plug it in to the serial port to read the error
report.

				Hans(ex CA Amiga ATE engineer)

mwm@eris.UUCP (04/17/87)

In article <542@umnd-cs.D.UMN.EDU> jwabik@cs.D.UMN.EDU (Jeff Wabik) writes:
>Turn on Amiga -- Before it finishes self test (and plays that catchy little
>tune), the screen will turn green, pause for a second, then re-start the
>self-test process.  This happens only when a warm-boot is performed.  Leaving
>the machine off for .5 hour will let it be rebooted once.

I have seen the exact same symptoms - except they didn't go away after
1/2 hour. Mine were associated with a (now departed) MicroForge
expansion card. With card in, it did that. Take off card, and it
booted like a charm.

	<mike

--
Here's a song about absolutely nothing.			Mike Meyer
It's not about me, not about anyone else,		ucbvax!mwm