[comp.sys.amiga] WACK documentation

sanchez@gmu90x.UUCP (04/15/87)

When I purchased my amiga in Nov 85, I send CBM $400 for the RKM,
Lattice C, and some other goodies including WACK.  Now I never
received anything else from CBM nor did I expect to.  The WACK program
came with zero documentation and as such was pretty useless.  I
understand that those who received the "Gamma 1" package did receive a
rather substantial document on WACK.  I noticed that CBM was making
the "Native Developers Update" available for $20(a great deal!!) so I
ordered it with the expectation that the WACK docs would be here.  No
such luck.  My question to CBM is where can I get the docs.  Why don't
you just post them?  I know a guy who has them but in good conscience
I cannot get them since he signed up to not distribute the things.
Please give those of us in this boat a little life preserver.

Jim Sanchez
Sytek, Inc.

carolyn@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (04/16/87)

In article <199@gmu90x.UUCP> sanchez@gmu90x.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) writes:
>[]
>I understand that those who received the "Gamma 1" package did receive a
>rather substantial document on WACK.  I noticed that CBM was making
>the "Native Developers Update" available for $20(a great deal!!) so I
>ordered it with the expectation that the WACK docs would be here.  No
>such luck.  My question to CBM is where can I get the docs.  Why don't
>you just post them?  I know a guy who has them but in good conscience
>I cannot get them since he signed up to not distribute the things.
>Please give those of us in this boat a little life preserver.

I don't think we can post those docs.  The unfinished new Wack and docs
were on the beta-test Software Toolkit that was included in the
Beta and Gamma test versions of 1.2.  You won't see that disk again
until it's in the stores.  I can't post stuff that's going to be
a CBM product.

I understand that version of wack is REALLY unfinished - macros not
implemented, etc.

I can however give you a bit of help with the older Wack.

Typing ?, keys, or symbols in Wack will yield interesting lists
which include the various commands.  Use your right mouse button
to pause the lists as they scroll by.

In symbols, note things like "tasks", "mods", "devs", "ints", "libs".
If you type these words, you'll get a list of those present in the system.

In addition, this should help a bit.  It's a sample Wack session by
Carl Sassenrath (the father of Exec).

Carl Sassenrath posted this once.  Assumes -d flag used on LC2 for
adding symbol hunks to your code.

Example wack session (by Carl Sassenrath):

  wack fly

  ... wack loads programs and symbols, grind....

  [             (save entry point on wack indirection stack)
  _MySymbolname
  set           (set a breakpoint at MySymbolName)
  ]             (return to entry point)
  go            (start program)

  ... program runs, you hit breakpoint at MySymbolname...
  <TAB>         (singlestep)
  regs          (maybe look at register values, and poke around)
  !             (continue execution)

Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (04/17/87)

>In symbols, note things like "tasks", "mods", "devs", "ints", "libs".
>If you type these words, you'll get a list of those present in the system.

	The old Wack has these commands, but the one that came with Gamma 1
doesn't.

			-Matt