[comp.sys.amiga] Interesting WB bug

glee@cognos.uucp (Godfrey Lee) (04/12/87)

I don't think anyone else has reported this:

SYMPTOM
-------

Do the following: hold down shift key, click left mouse button on a drawer,
hold down left mouse button on a second drawer, drag mouse (the two icons will
move together), let go of left mouse button, let go of shift key.

The "snooze" mouse icon comes on, and suddenly, the first drawer icon
disappears, then a error comes up on the WB title line about an error
encountered while doing the "whatever" on the second drawer.

When this happened to me the first time, I was trying to do a snapshot, so I
have selected all the icons in the folder, as well as the disk icon, mistakenly
moved the mouse, let go, and watched in horror as drawer after drawer
disappeared in front of my eyes!! However, the disk full percent did not
decrease. So I ran disksalv, and discovered that they are under the "Empty"
directory. So I went back to the original disk, sure enough, they have
been renamed in the "Empty" directory.

I suspect what happens is that if you select a,b,c,d and move the mouse,
it somehow treats this as move a,b,c into d!!

This is under WB 1.2 (official release version). I have not tried it under
WB 1.1. Although this is not a destructive bug, it will scare/puzzle and
easily panic the uninitiated into thinking that the files are really gone,
and prompt them to go off and try to re-create the data, and in the process
destroy any chance of "easily" recovering from the mistake. I have
seen that happen in other circumstances.

C-A: Please look into this, and fix it ASAP.
Godfrey Lee, Cognos Incorporated, 3755 Riverside Drive,
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA  K1G 3N3
(613) 738-1440		decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!glee

carolyn@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (04/20/87)

In article <542@cognos.UUCP> glee@cognos.uucp (Godfrey Lee) writes:
>[]
>
>When this happened to me the first time, I was trying to do a snapshot, so I
>have selected all the icons in the folder, as well as the disk icon, mistakenly
>moved the mouse, let go, and watched in horror as drawer after drawer
>disappeared in front of my eyes!! However, the disk full percent did not
>decrease. So I ran disksalv, and discovered that they are under the "Empty"
>directory. So I went back to the original disk, sure enough, they have
>been renamed in the "Empty" directory.

I reported a similar bug.  It occurs when you rearrange drawer and program
icons after copying a new disk.info to a disk.

So here's a warning:  If you copy a spiffy new disk.info to a disk, reboot
with that disk in one of your drives before attempting to straighten out
the other icons on that disk.

Note to Fred Fish - you'll probably need a similar README FIRST warning
with distributed disk.info icons.  I'll send you mine as soon as I get
a chance.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180