[comp.sys.amiga] UNIX IFF to Amiga IFF!, AmigaBasic 1.2, More then one Modem!

markr@garfield.UUCP (04/13/87)

Subject: UNIX IFF to AMIGA IFF!

  On are local Unix we have some UBC format image IFF files. Can I
convert them into a format that my Amiga can use? It would be nice
if I could convert the Amiga files to UBC Foramt as well.. Someone
may have done this!

Subject: AmigaBasic 1.1 VS 1.2

  AmigaBasic 1.2, I know that the input# has been changed so that
it will not return until it hits a chr$(10) or a chr$(13). (It will
take in ",:;" and all that stuff no problem. (Thank god!)) The DEL
key works in editing and you can load three copys into memory on
512K of memory! (Each copy can only run one program at a time! Drag!)

  No BOOK comes with your 1.2 on the new BASIC! And it is an extra 30K
biger then the old BASIC! So, what is new with the new BASIC?
(My copy of AmigaBasic 1.1 runs fine under 1.2 Kickstart and workbench.)

Subject: More then One modem on One Amiga!

  I wish to run a Multi-User BBS on my Amiga and I have no idea how
to hook up the second modem! Please help!!! I wish to know as well
how to use the second modem form basic.

P.S. Anyone done any neet ways of sending data from one AmigaBasic
program to the next one?

Your Lost friend,

Joseph Dawson...  {Help an Amiga owner!! Don't make me get an IBM S2!}

{{[I have only one reply from all my postings!? Is this stuff getting
   out?]}}

carolyn@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (04/21/87)

In article <3581@garfield.UUCP> markr@garfield.UUCP writes:
>[]
>So, what is new with the new BASIC?
>[]

  For the most part, AmigaBasic 1.2 is mostly bug fixes.  The only new
thing I know of is that the new version parses command line arguments.
This means that it is now possible to boot directly from the startup
sequence into a basic program.  The correct paths relative to the
current directory (initially df0:) must of course be specified.

Example:

If AmigaBasic is on the boot disk in a directory called "Basic" and
the basic program is on the boot disk in a directory called "Programs"

   Basic/AmigaBasic Programs/MyBasicProgram

should load AmigaBasic which should then load and run MyBasicProgram.

   One thing to remember however.  When you start AmigaBasic (or any
executable program) from Workbench, the resulting process is CD'd
where you double-clicked.  CLI processes however are CD'd to the same
place as the CLI they were started from.  So if your AmigaBasic program
needs to read in any files (such as bmaps, graphics, etc) or writes
files with no path expecting them to go to certain directory, you
will probably need to add a CHDIR statement to your Basic program
to make sure IT is CD'd where you want.

>[]
>P.S. Anyone done any neet ways of sending data from one AmigaBasic
>program to the next one?
>[]

CHAIN can call in and run another program while preserving all variables.
Or you might want to write out a RAM: or disk file which the other program
could read.  If you want to implement BSAVE/BLOAD type of stuff, see my
AmigaBasic ILBM programs on Extras 1.2 for an example of the kind of
BSAVE/BLOAD that can be implemented with AmigaDOS system calls.
(Better than BSAVE/BLOAD because you can save many different areas of
memory in one file, and can load portions of one file back into various
memory addresses.)

Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180