[comp.sys.amiga] WARNING! vt100 v2.6 can

flaps@utcsri.UUCP (04/16/87)

I have corrupted three floppy disks in the last couple of weeks.  These are
the only disks I have ever corrupted on my Amiga (besides two that I pulled out
while writing, shortly after I got my Amiga).  All three corruptions happened
while downloading files with vt100 v2.6 using kermit.  I have only been using
vt100 v2.6 a short while before the first corruption.

(I download lots of stuff, fairly frequently, and just generally move around
lots of files.)

I'm not sure if vt100 v2.6 is necessarily to blame, but it sure seems like it.
The only other thing I am usually using since the previous reboot is Manx's
Z editor, which I used while running vt100 v2.{2,3,4}, extensively, without
problems.  Of course it's possible that this could be a fault of the Z editor
I suppose.  But I am fairly sure that at least one of the three times would
have happened without using the Z editor.

--

Alan J Rosenthal

flaps@csri.toronto.edu, {seismo!utai or utzoo}!utcsri!flaps,
flaps@toronto on csnet, flaps at utorgpu on bitnet.

"Probably the best operating system in the world is the [operating system]
made for the PDP-11 by Bell Laboratories." - Ted Nelson, October 1977

In article <4591@utcsri.UUCP> flaps@utcsri.UUCP (Alan J Rosenthal) writes:
>I have corrupted three floppy disks in the last couple of weeks.  These are
>the only disks I have ever corrupted on my Amiga (besides two that I pulled out
>while writing, shortly after I got my Amiga).  All three corruptions happened
>while downloading files with vt100 v2.6 using kermit.  I have only been using
>vt100 v2.6 a short while before the first corruption.

I had this problem with one of the early versions of VT100, tried doing a
full disk kermit (80% or so of a disk) and it crashed 2 times in a row with
a totally trashed disk.  I then gave up on VT100, and have been awaiting a
version that isn't quickly followed by scads of bug reports and bug fixes
(still waiting) out of fear of similar problems lurking therein.

>I'm not sure if vt100 v2.6 is necessarily to blame, but it sure seems like it.
>The only other thing I am usually using since the previous reboot is Manx's
>Z editor, which I used while running vt100 v2.{2,3,4}, extensively, without
>problems.  Of course it's possible that this could be a fault of the Z editor
>I suppose.  But I am fairly sure that at least one of the three times would
>have happened without using the Z editor.

I wasn't doing anything else but the kermit since boot.  It was a fully
unattended transfer, I was off elsewhere during the transfers.

After reformat, I used another kermit, and worked fine.  May have been
doing a binary transfer, not sure (it's been a while).

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa