[comp.sys.amiga] 1.2 upward compatible? HA!

ugpete@sunybcs.UUCP (04/13/87)

< il cibo per la line eater >

Did I hear someone say 1.2 is upward compatible with 1.1?
They should try running Online! under 1.2. After an hour or so it
switches to a martian key-map. Some keys are scrambled, most just
send a '4'.
	How about Defender of the Crown with 1.2? The kingdom was
united by a Saxon named 'Guru'. (I can't be sure 1.2 caused this)
	Even Marble Madness had an extra-hard screen called 'the
reboot race.'
	sigh. I wish I had a list of what software was made under
what version. While I'm not 100% sure that version incompatibilities
were the cause of these and more problems, It looks like it.
	I guess this won't be a problem for long. All new software will
be written for 1.2, and most older software has been re-released to
work with 1.2.

	It kind of reminds me of when my old Apple switched from Dos 3.2
to Dos 3.3 and again to ProDos. At least Amiga 1.1 and 1.2 read the same
disk formats!!!

Sorry for the minor flames, it's late and all these crashes happened in
one night.

			Peter Theobald

SUNY/Buffalo Computer Science
csnet:	ugpete@buffalo.CSNET
uucp:	..!{nike|watmath,alegra,decvax}!sunybcs!ugpete
BITNET:	ugpete@sunybcs.BITNET

philip@dalcsug.UUCP (04/16/87)

In article <2978@sunybcs.UUCP> ugpete@sunybcs.UUCP (Peter Theobald) writes:

>Did I hear someone say 1.2 is upward compatible with 1.1?
>They should try running Online! under 1.2. After an hour or so it
>switches to a martian key-map. Some keys are scrambled, most just
>send a '4'.
> [ ... lots of other complaints deleted ... ]

I think if you set keymap=usa0 (put "KEYMAP=USA0" in tool types of the
info file of SetKeyMap, save, then double-click SetKeyMap) you will
keep the proper keymap during your session.  I believe that this was the
fault of the programmer, not AmigaDos.

Hope this solved one of your problems.

Peter Philip
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia

--------------------------
Look Ma!  No Disclaimers !
--------------------------

lachac@topaz.UUCP (04/19/87)

In article <2978@sunybcs.UUCP> ugpete@sunybcs.UUCP (Peter Theobald) writes:
>Did I hear someone say 1.2 is upward compatible with 1.1?
>They should try running Online! under 1.2. After an hour or so it
>switches to a martian key-map. Some keys are scrambled, most just
>send a '4'.

That's because of the way Online! was programmed.  If you type:

		setmap usa0

before you run Online!, the keyboard will funtion correctly.

>	How about Defender of the Crown with 1.2? The kingdom was
>united by a Saxon named 'Guru'. (I can't be sure 1.2 caused this)

Never did on mine.

>	Even Marble Madness had an extra-hard screen called 'the
>reboot race.'

Nope, not this either!

Kinda makes me wonder if your copy of 1.2 might not be flakey...

--
		"Truth is false and logic lost..."
					- Neil Peart

spierce@pnet01.CTS.COM (Stuart Pierce) (04/21/87)

I use Marble Madness and Defender of the Crown often, and I never get see the
guru under 1.2.

ugmiker@sunybcs.UUCP (04/22/87)

I think the problem with the programs pete is having trouble with is that
they like to take full control of the computer.   If you were doing somthing
and then decide to use another program, warm reboot the machine, and then try
the new program, some of the pointers are not wiped clean, and this(JUST A
WILD GUESS) is probably why problems like these (I HAVE HAD THEM) only (USUALLY)
happen when you try to use the program without turning the Amiga off.

This happens for the same reason that the ASDG RRD works(right perry?), that is
that all of the memory is not cleared when the machine is when you perform a
warm boot.

I am not positive if this is the reason, but it sounds logical....
right?????

        	             Mike Reilly                              //
                             ---- ------                             //
                   University of Buffalo Computer Science      AMIGA//
                   ---------- -- ------- -------- -------        \\//
                   csnet:	ugmiker@buffalo.CSNET             \/
                   uucp:	..!{nike|watmath,alegra,decvax}!sunybcs!ugmiker
                   BITNET:	ugmiker@sunybcs.BITNET, v107ln7z@ubvmsa.bitnet

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (04/22/87)

in article <2978@sunybcs.UUCP>, ugpete@sunybcs.UUCP says:
> Did I hear someone say 1.2 is upward compatible with 1.1?
> 	How about Defender of the Crown with 1.2? The kingdom was
> united by a Saxon named 'Guru'. (I can't be sure 1.2 caused this)
> 	Even Marble Madness had an extra-hard screen called 'the
> reboot race.'

 On my system (2 meg Fast Ram, 1.5 meg Recoverable RamDisk, 1.2
Workbench, 2 floppies) both Defender and Marble Madness work fine, it
must be something else that's causing your problem. For faster response,
I usually copy Marble Madness or disk 2 of Defender to RAM: (for some
reason if both disks of Defender are copied to RAM: the computer starts
cheating!).

  Both of those programs work fine with 1.2 and Fast RAM. On the other
hand, Archon and Adept (from EA) will _not_ work with Fast Ram. I wonder
what Electronic Arts will do when A2000 owners start complaining of
broken software? At least I can boot Kickstart 1.1 to avoid the problem,
but with 1.2 in ROM.......

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland
UUCP Address:   {ihnp4,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne