[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Hack 1.0.1.E Woes

hobie@sq.UUCP (04/16/87)

	I just finished playing Hack 1.0.1.E again, or rather, it finished me.
For the third time, I got down to level 26 and then had the system crash on me
when I tried to go to level 27.  Has anyone survived going down below level 26?
Has anyone ever won Amiga Hack?  I even had a scroll of teleportation and a
potion of confusion, ready to use them on level 27!!

 Hobie Orris			 	|
 SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, Ont.		|"There'll be no more giant leeches
 {ihnp4 | decvax | ? }!utzoo!sq!hobie	| When you find the good Lord Jesus"

(NSA terrorist CIA cryptography DES drugs NRO cipher IRS secret RSA decode
coke libyan crack penguin lust russian nuclear missile tuna assassinate)

ali@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) (04/19/87)

In article <1987Apr16.103019.14404@sq.uucp> Hobie Orris writes:
>	I just finished playing Hack 1.0.1.E again, or rather, it finished me.
>For the third time, I got down to level 26 and then had the system crash on
>me when I tried to go to level 27.

The same problems happened to be the few times I've played Hack
on the Amiga as well. (Of course, I rarely get that far!) But I do love
the little graphic creatures. Also, among the latest batch of Fish disks
(59..68) is a port of the latest version (1.0.3) of Hack. That one
probably will have solved most of the problems with version 1.0.1E.

Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu

avery@puff.WISC.EDU (Aaron Avery) (04/19/87)

There is a new version of hack on one of the newest fish disks, but I have
heard of a fix for your problem. On a local bulletin board, someone said that
if you increase the stack size to 20000 (this can be done from the CLI with
the command 'stack 20000'), you can complete the game.

Aaron Avery ({caip,seismo,allegra,harvard,ihnp4}!uwvax!puff!avery)
	    (avery@puff.wisc.edu)

hobie@sq.UUCP (04/22/87)

Aaron Avery (avery@puff.WISC.EDU) writes:

>There is a new version of hack on one of the newest fish disks, but I have
>heard of a fix for your problem. On a local bulletin board, someone said that
>if you increase the stack size to 20000 (this can be done from the CLI with
>the command 'stack 20000'), you can complete the game.

The second time I ran into this problem was after I had saved the game and
copied the disk while on level 25.  So when it blew up on 27, I did just that:
I increased the stack size up to 40 or 50000 and tried again.  It never did
get better.