[comp.sys.amiga] Kermit Connection of Amiga to IBM Mainframe

daemon@rutgers.UUCP (04/05/87)

From: "MOSHE DEUTSCH"                             <F67234%BARILAN.BITNET@BERKELEY.EDU>

We tried connecting our amiga to an IBM 3081 mainframe running
MVS,but failed.The Amiga is connected via a serial line to
a 7071 protocol converter connected,in turn, to the mainframe.
The converter is claimed to run Kermit protocol but can handle
only seven bit even parity bytes.We used the kermit included in
the VT100 emulator on FISH #35. Although the emulator works fine
and the file transfer with kermit also works fine(to an IBM pc
running kermit)with 8 bit no parity, we could not establish
communication in the 7 bit even parity mode.
Did anyone run into the same problem ? did anyone manage to
do file transfer between an Amiga and an IBM mainframe using
kermit under similar conditions ?.We will be grateful for
copies of Kermit other then that on the FISH #35 disk.
Moshe Deutsch.

mb@munnari.UUCP (04/06/87)

In article <1379@rutgers.RUTGERS.EDU>
F67234%BARILAN.BITNET@BERKELEY.EDU writes:
>From: "MOSHE DEUTSCH"
>We tried connecting our amiga to an IBM 3081 mainframe running
>MVS,but failed.
>                                 We used the kermit included in
>the VT100 emulator on FISH #35.
>                                  We will be grateful for
>copies of Kermit other then that on the FISH #35 disk.

The "official" Columbia Kermit is on FISH #26, ported by Davide P. Cervone.
And John Toebes (Software Distillery) claims in POPCLI.DOC that they have
a KERMIT, too.

walton@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (04/06/87)

In article <1484@munnari.oz> mb@munnari.oz.au (Michael Bednarek) writes:
>In article <1379@rutgers.RUTGERS.EDU>
>F67234%BARILAN.BITNET@BERKELEY.EDU writes:
>>From: "MOSHE DEUTSCH"
>>                                 We used the kermit included in
>>the VT100 emulator on FISH #35.
>
>The "official" Columbia Kermit is on FISH #26, ported by Davide P. Cervone.
>And John Toebes (Software Distillery) claims in POPCLI.DOC that they have
>a KERMIT, too.

Actually, the "official" Columbia Kermit is now the Software
Distillery version, by agreement between them and David Cervone.
BITNET sites can find out about accessing the Kermit file server at
Columbia by sending the RSCS message "HELP" to KERMSRV@CUVMA.  Amiga C
Kermit is available in .BOO format as file CKIKER.BOO.  The same file
is available via anonymous FTP from CU20B in directory K2: (i.e., do
an FTP "get" on K2:CKIKER.BOO).

					Steve Walton
					walton@tybalt.caltech.edu

hyberts@ethz.UUCP (04/07/87)

Keywords:Kermit

In article <1379@rutgers.RUTGERS.EDU> daemon@rutgers.UUCP writes:
>We tried connecting our amiga to an IBM 3081 mainframe running
>MVS,but failed...  The converter is claimed to run Kermit protocol
>but can handle only seven bit even parity bytes.

I have the same problem with our LAN a SYTEK LocalNet. If I connect the
Amiga in my office I can switch the network to eight bit no parity and
everything (VT100 Kermit transfers) works fine. If I access the network
thru telefone then I can't change the seven bit even parity setting on
the receiving TBOX and I am not able to do a file transfer even if I set
everything to seven bits/even parity. This confused me really because I
thought that Kermit should be able to handle any transmission protocol.

Ruedi

hyberts@ethz.uucp
molekula@czheth5a.earn (Bitnet)

In article <4317@videovax.Tek.COM> stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) writes:

>Try Amiga Kermit.  It is available by UUCP and Kermit from Oklahoma
>State University (machine "okstate").  It is probably on at least one
>VAX at Berkeley (along with the rest of the Kermit distribution).  And
>certainly someone in the Bay Area has a working copy on an Amiga disk.
>Contact your local Amiga Users Group.
>					Steve Rice

Has this been fixed for odd-length binary file transfers yet?  I have
a version of it and it fails every time with binary files that are
odd-number sized.  It's a great kermit otherwise, and I'd rather use
it than the alternatives except for that one problem.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa

stever@videovax.UUCP (04/23/87)

In article <1486@cadovax.UUCP>, Keith Doyle (keithd@cadovax.UUCP) writes:

>> [ My suggestion to use Amiga Kermit ]

> Has this been fixed for odd-length binary file transfers yet?  I have
> a version of it and it fails every time with binary files that are
> odd-number sized.  It's a great kermit otherwise, and I'd rather use
> it than the alternatives except for that one problem.

I haven't noticed a problem, and I do have a procedure for copying files
back to our VAX and comparing for equality.  The only problem I have noticed
is that occasionally the very last newline in the file is dropped.  I have
sent a bug report in, along with a file that stimulates the problem.

					Steve Rice

Copyright 1987 by Steven E. Rice, P.E.  All Rights Reserved.  This material
may be redistributed only where such redistribution is without charge and
without restrictions on further redistribution.  Incorporation of this
material in a compilation or other collective work constitutes permission
from the intermediary to all recipients to freely redistribute the entire
collection.  All other uses are prohibited.
new: stever@videovax.tv.Tek.com
old: {decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver | cae780}!tektronix!videovax!stever