[comp.sys.amiga] Attached-file icons vs. Font/DA Mover

hadeishi@husc7.HARVARD.EDU (Mitsuharu Hadeishi) (04/21/87)

	One thing I've noticed about Mac users is that they find the
Desktop metaphor very useful.  Something I HAVE noticed, however,
is that the non-technical among them don't even know the Font/DA Mover
exists, and they don't know how to handle fonts and desk accessories.

	There are advantages to this approach.  Having lots of
icons for all the fonts is probably too messy and not advantageous.
In this case, you might want to have something like a Font/DA Mover
(call it Font Mover.)  This is simply because fonts really should
be treated differently from support data directories or support
libraries, in that any application can use them, and it is easier
to perhaps manipulate a list of fonts in a Font Mover program
than to move tens of little font icons around (although the font icons
could be made to look like the font, which would be cute.)

	However, one can implement both strategies.  For things like
font management, you might want to implement something like a Font/DA Mover.
For device drivers, libraries, printer drivers, data directories attached
to an application, and so on (in particular the last use) you really want
to use an attached-files icon approach.  This approach has the advantage
of using the same visual metaphor and reduces the amount of technical
knowledge the user needs in order to play with his/her Amiga and configure
it to his/her needs.  I might be convinced that printer drivers should
be put under the aegis of a Font/DA Mover, but this is not the way
the Mac does it (there is a little icon for each printer driver in
the System folder.)  Also, the Workbench user who only uses one
printer (I suspect this is the majority of users) could simply delete
all the printer icons that s/he didn't need.  I've already suggested
a Device Manager or Device Mover should be implemented to allow the
Workbench user to select which devices should be mounted or not.
One small problem arises with vd0: and suchlike devices which must
be mounted first, before other tasks have a chance to mess up memory;
perhaps a special devices-to-be-mounted-at-startup list should be
provided and scanned at startup.  vd0: also needs to be polled, as in
a DIR command or something-can this be worked around, Perry?  Can
vd0: be changed to wake up at Mounttime rather than at first poll?
Perhaps the system software should initialize the device when it
is mounted, rather than just adding it to the device list.  Alternatively,
a "prepend" function (i.e., prepend to startup-sequence) could be
added (in addition to "append").  Of course, "prepend" is more
messy and in general isn't what you want.  So some sort of
explicit system support for mounting and initializing devices on
startup would be nice.

				-Mitsu

spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) (04/24/87)

In article <1710@husc6.UUCP> hadeishi@husc7.UUCP (Mitsuharu Hadeishi) writes:
>	There are advantages to this approach.  Having lots of
>icons for all the fonts is probably too messy and not advantageous.
>In this case, you might want to have something like a Font/DA Mover
>(call it Font Mover.)  This is simply because fonts really should
>be treated differently from support data directories or support
>libraries, in that any application can use them

Now, it was my idea, but I like it.  If you want to distribute a program
for people to use in ANY configuration then you give them a Font Mover
program and your executable will give an error message that tells them
what it needs.  There are only so many things that can be wrong.  "I need
pipe.device to be in devs:"  Then the user whips out the Font Mover, opens
sys: on one side, opens the distribution disk on the other side, and boom!
it displays pipe.device as not being on the sys: disk.  The user clicks
and copies the file over.

>	However, one can implement both strategies.  For things like
>font management, you might want to implement something like a Font/DA Mover.
>For device drivers, libraries, printer drivers, data directories attached
>to an application, and so on (in particular the last use) you really want
>to use an attached-files icon approach.

I think that using a Font/DA thingy would work better on all but the last
one, and all you need to do to keep the data directories attached is a
drawer!  By putting the executable in a drawer (that also contains your
non-iconified data files) you let the user move EVERYTHING at once, and
that way the computer can always find the support files.  (If you start
from WB the CD will be the location of those files, and if you started
from CLI you can find the path to them by editing out the command name
from argv[0].

Maybe there is a better way to do it.  I am talking about what to do Now.
I am releasing software Today, how do I do it.  Well, I give him a bootable
disk and tell him what my program needs to run by giving him error messages
when I don't find all my support files (libraries, and fonts, and devices...)
Then I give him the power to create his own environment.  Now, of course
you could do it with an install script, maybe that is a good option, but
that doesn't give the user as much control (and Joe User doesn't like
running programs that write to his hard disk unless he knows what is being
written, he is bound to feel more comfortable moving the files himself)

> I might be convinced that printer drivers should
>be put under the aegis of a Font/DA Mover, but this is not the way
>the Mac does it (there is a little icon for each printer driver in
>the System folder.)

There are only two printers that can be used on the Mac, I don't think
that they would ever make a printer mover for two printers.

>				-Mitsu
Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)284-4740
                         I N F I N I T Y                 BBS: (415)283-5469
Now working for          |||||||||||::::... . .                    BUD-LINX
Officially representing  ||||||||||||:::::... ..    ....ucbvax!mica!spencer
                         s o f t w a r e          spencer@mica.berkeley.edu