[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 500/2000 Clock and Autoconfig explained

wpd@bacchus.UUCP (04/24/87)

In article <1715@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> eric@cbmvax.UUCP (Eric Cotton) writes:
>In article <11335@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) writes:
>>In article <2300005@hpsadla.HP> jimh@hpsadla.HP (Jim Horn) writes:
>>>
>>>     Does anyone know how the battery-backed real time clock in the Amiga
>>>500 and 2000 is addressed?  I assume it is used to set the interrupt-driven
and Eric answers...
>		setclock opt load|save
>		    opt load   loads system time/date from clock
>		    opt save   saves system time/date to clock
>--
>	Eric Cotton
>	Commodore-Amiga
However, the original question still remains.  How does one physically access
that clock?  What address must one, to use BASICism's, peek and poke at, in
order to set or read the clock?  I believe Jim wanted to know so that he could
design his own clock to sit at the same address.  For you autoconfig buffs, the
"correct" way to do this is to use a latch and a comparator.  During
autoconfig, the Amiga would say, "Who's out there?"  And the clock would
respond, "I am, but I have no memory", (for just a clock).  The Amiga would
then say "Fine, your control address is <insert-a-number-here>", which the
board would latch onto.  Thereafter, whenever ^^^ (that number) was addressed,
the comparator would signal true, and the clock would be addressed.  (There is
more, but I think the idea is understood.)  Does the clock in the 500/2000
autoconfig or is it permamently mapped to a certain address and, if so, what
address?
               | Patrick Doyle            (617) 253-3261 (msgs) |
               | MIT, E40-358                or 225-8467 (home) |
	       | (617) 253-4231 (work)     410 Memorial Dr.     |
               | wpd@athena.mit.edu        Cambridge, MA 02139  |
               | ...{decvax,ihnp4}!mit-eddie!mit-athena!wpd     |
               |________________________________________________|

andy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (04/24/87)

In article <473@bacchus.MIT.EDU> wpd@athena.mit.edu (William P Doyle) writes:
>What address must one, to use BASICism's, peek and poke at, in
>order to set or read the clock?
Our clock chip sits at $DC0000.  However, unless you use the same
clock chip we used (the Okimate clock chip) our program to read/set
the clock won't work with your clock design.
--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore/Amiga		 /or/ pyramid!amiga!andy }

"Do not meddle with the affairs of wizards, for it makes them soggy and hard
to light."