[comp.sys.amiga] Using RF Modulator

philip@dalcsug.UUCP (04/21/87)

Hello all,

   Today I recieved an RF-Modulator for my Amiga.  I am very pleased with
the quality of the television output and find it much clearer than when
using the composite signal and the colour much closer to what the Amiga
monitor produces.

My problem is this: I have two monitors for my system (one of which is an
ancient colour TV) and digi-view and I want to use the large TV to display
the image from the camera.  Problem number one, the TV does not take a
composite RCA jack. Well, I thought, I have this RF modulator here - why
can't I use it?  What pins of the Modulator must be connected to do the
job?  By guessing and looking at the Amiga users manual page R-15 (tv
modulator pinouts) I would say connect the centre pin of the RCA jack
to pin 4 (comp video) and the outside to pin 5 or 2 (??) would this work?

Whew, now that someone has told me how to fix that one (please) ...
Problem number two: How can I connect the TV and Digi-View at the same time?
I have tried just using a Y-cable but the signal must be too weak to drive
both (as they stated in the manual).  I remember seeing a description in
the Digi-View manual on how to split the signal using a special monitor (no
good to me, not enough room left on the desk :-) but there must be another
way (??) I can't look it up in the manual because I lost mine (must have
blown away 8-D )

Help greatly appreciated...

BTW, anyone interested in a review of TV*TEXT ??

Peter Philip
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia

In article <75@dalcsug.UUCP> philip@dalcsug.UUCP (Peter Philip) writes:
>Hello all,
>
>   Today I recieved an RF-Modulator for my Amiga.  I am very pleased with
>the quality of the television output and find it much clearer than when
>using the composite signal and the colour much closer to what the Amiga
>monitor produces.

	This suggests that something was wrong with your composite video
	setup.  You loose a lot of bandwidth (==detail) going through
	the RF section of a normal television.  You have already given
	up some to get to composite color, but that should still appear
	to have better quality.

>My problem is this: I have two monitors for my system (one of which is an
>ancient colour TV) and digi-view and I want to use the large TV to display
>the image from the camera.  Problem number one, the TV does not take a
>composite RCA jack. Well, I thought, I have this RF modulator here - why
>can't I use it?

	You can get video modulator, switch boxes and video processors from
	Radio Shack and various mail-order video specialty houses.  A cheap
	external modulator might be the best solution although a ~$100 US
	monochrome composite monitor might be more useful.

>Whew, now that someone has told me how to fix that one (please) ...
>Problem number two: How can I connect the TV and Digi-View at the same time?
>I have tried just using a Y-cable but the signal must be too weak to drive
>both (as they stated in the manual).

	Try a simple 2-positionvideo selector or speaker selector switch
	with phono jack connections.

	Also, contact Newtek's customer support.  I hear that they are very
	helpful and could probably make some suggestions and send you a new
	manual...