[comp.sys.amiga] Mac disks on Amiga and vice-versa

mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (04/27/87)

spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) writes:

> impossible.  The Amiga has a constant speed drive.  There would be no way
> to read a disk like that on a variable speed mac drive, so I spoke to one
> of our Mac Programmers here (I don't usually speak about work on this net)
> and he said that you can do anything you want (if you have the programming
> know how.
>
> So the question still stands:  Is there a program (for the Mac or the Amiga)
> that lets me read and write disks back and forth so that I don't have to
> have a modem to transfer files from one machine to the other?

I don't know where the world at large was when I asked this same
question last year, but the answer is:

	NO.  Amigas cannot read/write Mac disks and vice/versa

According to the Mac Gurus I talk to here, yes, you can control the
speed of the Mac disk controller *but only on the 512K Mac and below*.
The Mac Plus has its speed control built into the hardware; there is
*NO* way to control the speed of the disk on a Plus.  So you may be
able to write such a program on the Mac, but it would be incompatible
with everything from the Plus on up.

The Amiga disk drive runs at a constant speed, and cannot read/write
Mac disks of any type.

It would be a nice idea;  I saw the commercial prospects in such an
idea a long time ago.  But it can't be done.--

Mike Portuesi / Carnegie-Mellon University Computer Science Department
ARPA:	mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu
UUCP:	{harvard | seismo | ucbvax | decwrl}!spice.cs.cmu.edu!mjp
BITNET:	rainwalker@drycas (a MicroVax I on Bitnet...can you believe it?)

"Amiga hackers do it graphically, with lots of sound effects"

"Mac owners dream in black and white
 Atari owners dream in color...
 but Amigoids dream using Hold and Modify!"