[comp.sys.amiga] Assign RAM: VD0:

mb@munnari.UUCP (04/23/87)

Can somebody please enlighten me why this command cannot be performed:

Assign RAM: VD0:

If this really can't be done, would developers please refrain from taking
liberties with my RAM: . They really should use LOGICAL NAMES, not physical
file names! That's what the ASSIGN command is for, no?

(Thanks to NewZap3.0 I changed RAM: to VD0: in csh. And :T to T: in Execute.
Yes, those cheques are in the mail. Seriously.)

dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (04/23/87)

	Actually, RAM: is better for temporary files than VD0: because it's
faster.  I use VD0: for semi-permanent storage (include files, executables,
libraries, terminal program, etc...).

	However, I see your point.  Perhaps we should all start using T:
for temporary file storage...

				-Matt

cmcmanis@sun.uucp (Chuck McManis) (04/24/87)

In article <8704232046.AA21748@cory.Berkeley.EDU>, (Matt Dillon) writes:
> 	However, I see your point.  Perhaps we should all start using T:
> for temporary file storage...
> 				-Matt

One argument against using T: versus :t is that 1.2 knows that :t is
a temporary directory and will create it if it doesn't exist. At least
thats the way I understand it to work.

--
--Chuck McManis
These views are my own and no one elses. They could be yours too, just

mb@munnari.oz (Michael Bednarek) (04/27/87)

In article <17325@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.uucp (Chuck McManis) writes:
>One argument against using T: versus :t is that 1.2 knows that :t is
>a temporary directory and will create it if it doesn't exist. At least
>thats the way I understand it to work.

The suggestion to use T: of course necessitates ASSIGN T: FOOBAR

In my Startup-Sequence, it reads: ASSIGN T: VD0:
Others might have ASSIGN T: RAM: or ASSIGN T: :T

Still, my original question has net yet been answered:
Why can't ASSIGN RAM: VD0: not be done? And how can I tweak AmigaDOS to
do it anyway?

BTW, I don't like the concept of AmigaDOS's logical names at all.
If I "ASSIGN SS: DF0:s/Startup-Sequence" I mean exactly that:
Startup-Sequence in directory s of drive zero, WHATEVER the disk in that
drive currently is.
Similarly, if I add DF0:c to my path, I want the directory c of whatever
disk is currently in DF0.

Michael Bednarek (mb@munnari.oz.au)

uh2@psuvm.bitnet.UUCP (04/27/87)

In article <17325@sun.uucp>, cmcmanis@sun.uucp (Chuck McManis) says:
>One argument against using T: versus :t is that 1.2 knows that :t is
>a temporary directory and will create it if it doesn't exist. At least
>--Chuck McManis

  Seems to me it should be the other way around.  It oughta create
  the logical temporary directory if it needs to, whether it
  is called :t or :foo.

  Just a thought