[comp.sys.amiga] C-Ltd hard disk

vanam@pttesac.UUCP (04/17/87)

I just wanted to report on the status of my C-Ltd 20 Meg
hard disk.

I bought one at the Commodore show in S.F. about a month ago.
That one quickly went bad and I sent it to C-Ltd for repair.
It came back about 2 weeks later with a note that a bad PAL
chip had been fixed in the controller.  Well within a few
days the drive went bad again.  I sent it back again after
calling them.  I convinced them to send me a different unit
so that if the same identical thing happened again, I could
suspect my Amiga or C-Ltd AMega RAM.

I was dissapointed with the speed with which they sent me the
new unit.  I suspect they spent some time trying to repair my
old unit before bothering to send me the new one.  After I spent
$40 of my money to send the thing back to them for the 2nd time,
I expected them to send me a new unit the same day.  After waiting
a week, I called.  I was told that they had trouble finding a new
unit to send to me.  Hmmm.  Anyway a few days later, I did get a
new unit.

This one works!  No fatal errors yet.  No lost data yet.
There was a problem with a superbase demo on this disk.  The demo
worked OK on the first drive I had (while the drive was still working),
but on this new one, I would get a guru everytime I tried to run the
demo.  Finally I tried deleting the entire drawer.  From then on the
hard drive would take about 6 minutes extra to boot.  I could hear
it doing something (trying to fix itself?) and my startup-sequence
would seem to hang.  Eventually everything would come up and I could
read everything on the hard disk OK, but I couldn't write on it.  It
would always say "DH0: not validated".  Doing an "info" command would
show that DH0: was always still being validated.

I finally reformatted the entire drive and partitioned it into 4
sections (I had wanted to partition it eventually anyway).  Formatting
found 0 errors (a pleasant surprise).  I haven't had any "not validated"
or unexplained guru's since.  I only have 2 things (not very fatal)
that still seem to happen.

I have been getting a kind of locked up condition about every
4 hours of use.  Rebooting has so far always brought everything
back.  Another thing that is wrong is that I get this streaking
jibberish on the screen when running "oing" or "instant music".
I suspect the same thing will happen with a lot of games, but
I don't do games much.  I saw the same trouble in a local store
here when they first connected up a hard disk in addition to
expanded memory.

When I say every 4 hours of use, I mean heavy use.  I'm usually
typing a lot and fairly fast.  As a matter of fact, sometimes I
think the lockup condition happens when I'm doing a lot of type-ahead.
Not sure about that yet.

I guess I could try some of Fred Fish'es tricks like adding special
grounding or replacing my 68000 with a ceramic and/or faster version.
Anyone know what that streaking stuff is?

Despite the problems I'm still happy having a hard disk.  I never had
one before.  I love not having to constantly swap floppies.  And the
thing is fast enough that I don't have to put everything in ASDG-RAM:.
I still need to work on backups.  It looks like Fred's backup utility
may be just what I need.  I've just barely started playing with it.

Marnix

rokicki@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Tomas Rokicki) (04/18/87)

In article <411@pttesac.UUCP>, vanam@pttesac.UUCP (Marnix van Ammers) writes:
> I just wanted to report on the status of my C-Ltd 20 Meg
> hard disk.

I thought I'd do the same.  About two weeks ago I had an Amiga with an
Amega board, and nothing else.  Everything worked fine and dandy.  I
sent CLTD a check for $1600, for a 50 Meg Hard drive.  About ten days
later, I got a big UPS package.  I removed my CLTD card, plugged in
the disk, and booted; the hard drive would not come up.  The machine
always locked in the first reference to DH0:.  So I sent it back,
after calling them and telling them that I was shipping it air, and
wanted my second drive shipped air.  (The original was shipped ground.)
In my depression about getting a bad drive, I purchased and installed
the KickRAM.  I highly recommend it; it works like a charm.  But, with
it, my Amega board no longer works.  (I know how to fix it; the
instructions are in the KickRAM docs; you simply replace a resistor and
capacitor on the reset generation circuitry.)  I was so busy writing
BlitLab for the BADGE meeting that I haven't get around to fixing the
memory board yet.  Well, Thursday (the day of BADGE) I got another
package, my new hard drive!  I plugged it in; everything seems to be
working like a charm.  And I exercised that drive.  I moved every single
picture from all of the fish disks and FAUG disks into a directory,
created a huge dpslide.cmd, and let her run for four hours.  No problem.
Next, I moved all of the TeX source onto the drive, and recompiled TeX
*twice* while kermit'ing some stuff from the hard disk down to another
Machine.  At the same time, I was diskcopying some floppies for a friend.
No problems at all yet.  And I've got the disk 31% full.  (Remember, this
is a 50 meg drive.)

I also did some development on the machine.  Let me tell you, having that
drive makes my Amiga an entirely new computer.  Compilation and TeX is
faster than on a 750 with no one else on.  Everything is faster than shit.
I can recompile TeX fast enough to where I can now *experiment* with the
program.  I love the drive.

So today I'm tearing into and fixing the Amega card.  (By the way, if
you have the Amega card and order a hard drive from CLTD, make sure you
also order the APTB (Amiga Pass Through Board) to connect the two; I
didn't and had to wait a few days for it.)  Then I'm going to put
everything back together, and put a few more megabytes of stuff on the
drive.  I just got 3.40a from Manx, yesterday, so I'm going to
recompile TeX and everything else again to see if they work.  (It
was pleasant seeing that they've included my profiler and my setenv
routines in the new stuff.)  And I'll keep everyone posted.

-tom

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (04/22/87)

rokicki@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Tomas Rokicki) wrote in article <249@rocky.STANFORD.EDU>:
>I sent CLTD a check for $1600, for a 50 Meg Hard drive.

I was talking to a guy who also has the CLtd 50M hard drive.  He said
that although it came as one partition, he broke it into six 8M partitions
which made it a lot faster (due to the smaller bitmaps that AmigaDOG
has to wade through).  He suggested I partition my 20M drive into
four 5M sections to increase the speed.

Has anyone done this?  Have you done any benchmarks before/after?

..Bob

PS This guy is also trying to get a Bernoulli Box (removable 20M disk)
   to talk to the CLtd controller.  I guess the BBox wants a certain
   format that CLtd's 'scsiformat' program doesn't provide, but CLtd told
   him that other people have succeeded in formatting the disk on the
   PC and then using Amiga's FORMAT to format it for AmigaDOS.  He tried
   this and it didn't work either.  Anybody had any success with this?
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.   page@ulowell.{uucp,edu,csnet}

alex@clwyd.uucp (Alex Laney) (04/23/87)

In article <411@pttesac.UUCP> vanam@pttesac.UUCP writes:

>.....  Another thing that is wrong is that I get this streaking
>jibberish on the screen when running "oing" or "instant music".
>I suspect the same thing will happen with a lot of games, but
>I don't do games much.  I saw the same trouble in a local store
>here when they first connected up a hard disk in addition to
>expanded memory.

I have gotten vertical 'streaking' from a Basic program, that I typed in
from Compute! magazine. (the Banner program from a recent issue) I have
no 'extra' hardware other than a 256K expansion. So it is not a Chip vs.
Fast Ram issue for me.

I would like to know what is causing it! I suspect Basic (v1.1) though.
Mind you the Banner program is pretty minimal, so I doubt I'll use it
again.

(With all the Basic games on Fish disks and available in magazines, I have
gotten to know Amiga Basic, and I think it is a quantum leap better than
90% of home computer Basics, but I still feel like I'm slumming)

Alex Laney, Condition: Headache
Employer: Xios Systems Corp, 150-1600 Carling Av, Ottawa, Ontario
Disclaimer: none of the contents of this are approved by Xios
Net: {utcsri,utzoo}!dciem!nrcaer!xios!alexl == alexl@xios.UUCP
     {utcsri,utzoo}!dciem!nrcaer!xios!clwyd!alex == alex@clwyd.XIOS.UUCP
Quote: "Who sent you.. the sissies at Delmore Catering?" - TCM2

Next new address: alex@xicom.UUCP ... xios!xicom!alex

cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (04/23/87)

In article <1207@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu>, (Bob Page) writes:

> I was talking to a guy who also has the CLtd 50M hard drive.  He said
> that although it came as one partition, he broke it into six 8M partitions
> which made it a lot faster (due to the smaller bitmaps that AmigaDOG
> has to wade through).  He suggested I partition my 20M drive into
> four 5M sections to increase the speed.
>
> Has anyone done this?  Have you done any benchmarks before/after?
>
> ..Bob

I talked to a guy from Supra who said they partitioned their drives
because on the Atari "you have to." Personally, I don't think he
was very well informed nor do I think partitioning helps the 40
folder bug on the ST's. Anyway on one's Amiga there are no such
restrictions on how big a disk you want to add. Due to the hashed
directories searching for a file is relative only to the number of
files in a directory and the number of layers 'deep' it is.

So partitioning your drive on an Amiga does make it faster but
not for the reason Bob mentions (ie bitmap size). There are actually
two ways that you win here. First, when there is a problem with the
drive and it has to be 'validated' it takes longer on a bigger drive
because it has to go look at *every* file on the disk. Fortunately,
if the driver that comes with your drive is correctly written then
it won't have to do that very often. The second feature is that
AmigaDOS always maintains a few blockbuffers for each disk device.
This mini-cache which can be increased with the 'addbuffers' command
is local to the partition and therefore things like copies and some
directory reads can be greatly enhanced.

I have a MicroBotics MAS-Drive and have run it as one partition,
two partitions, and three partitions. The multipartition case
is a wee bit faster in some cases but I haven't noticed and
major speedups.

--
--Chuck McManis
These views are my own and no one elses. They could be yours too, just

vanam@pttesac.UUCP (Marnix van Ammers) (04/27/87)

In article <294@xios.XIOS.UUCP> alex@clwyd.UUCP (Alex Laney) writes:
>In article <411@pttesac.UUCP> vanam@pttesac.UUCP writes:
>>
>>.....  Another thing that is wrong is that I get this streaking
>>jibberish on the screen when running "oing" or "instant music".

>I have gotten vertical 'streaking' from a Basic program, that I typed in
>from Compute! magazine. (the Banner program from a recent issue) I have
>no 'extra' hardware other than a 256K expansion. So it is not a Chip vs.
>Fast Ram issue for me.
>
>I would like to know what is causing it! I suspect Basic (v1.1) though.

I have discovered that the streaking I've been experiencing was not
due to my hard disk but to the use of the morerows program.  I am now
quite happy.  If I really want to play a game, I restore my
devs:system-configuration file with a non-morerows version and
reboot.

That reminds me.  Does anyone have a program that will allow changing
the morerows setting in the system-configuration file or the printers
setting in the system-configuration file without running preferences
and without rebooting (to change morerows) ?