[comp.sys.amiga] DevWare announcement / call for authors

	Up till now, Perry had the record for commercial utilization of
comp.sys.amiga, but this takes the cake!

-From: mercurio@crash.CTS.COM (Phil Mercurio)
-What follows is a statement of purpose and a call for authors by a new
-company called "DevWare".  We're looking for your feedback on these
-ideas.  Please respond to me via email; if there's enough interest, I
-can post a summary of the responses.  We apologize if the commercial
-nature of this posting offends, but we felt that this community would be
-interested in these ideas and might be able to benefit from them.

	Don't bother apologizing, just don't do it again.  If you want
to discuss the relative merits and problems with various methods of software
distribution, you can, but it shouldn't be in the context of your corporation.

					-Matt

hatcher@INGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Doug Merritt) (04/25/87)

In article <8704250043.AA09200@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>>-From: mercurio@crash.CTS.COM (Phil Mercurio)
>>-         [ ... ]             We apologize if the commercial
>>-nature of this posting offends, but we felt that this community would be
>>-interested in these ideas and might be able to benefit from them.

>	Don't bother apologizing, just don't do it again.  If you want
>to discuss the relative merits and problems with various methods of software
>distribution, you can, but it shouldn't be in the context of your corporation.

Phil was not being rude; it's ok to post announcements and ask for ideas,
even about commercial subjects, just so long as there isn't constant
advertising. There is no way that I would have heard about this notion
without it being posted, and as an Amiga programmer I find it intriguing.

A lot of people hear folklore about noncommercial use of the net, and
without getting more accurate information, start flaming people
indiscriminately. -> What everyone should do is read mod.announce.newusers! <-

For instance, here's a pertinent excerpt from "Rules for posting to Usenet":

:Announcement of professional products or services on Usenet is allowed;
:however, since someone else is paying the phone bills for this, it is
:important that it be of overall benefit to Usenet.  [ ... ]
:Advertising hype is especially frowned upon -- stick to technical
:facts.  [ ... ]

In other words, it's ok to post a simple announcement. Anything beyond
that is frowned upon. Naturally interpretation of the rules can be
subjective, but it's important to note that it is, in fact, not a white
and black issue.
	Doug Merritt	ucbvax!ingres!hatcher

lear@aramis.RUTGERS.EDU (eliot lear) (04/26/87)

Sorry, Matt.  I place that message in the same category as new product
announcements.  If the authors are obligated to support the programs
that DevWare distributes, then it may even be a good idea.  It will
promote software distribution and won't cost an arm and a leg.  That
as always been one of the biggest problems with proprietary software.
I think Perry still holds the crown as far as most commercial use of
this group.  It is nice to see announcement of ideas that will hit the
market.  Besides, do you feel misc.jobs is mostly used for proprietary
reasons?

					cya,

						...eliot
--

[lear@rutgers.edu]
[{harvard|pyrnj|seismo|ihnp4}!rutgers!lear]

dca@kesmai.UUCP (04/28/87)

> -What follows is a statement of purpose and a call for authors by a new
> -company called "DevWare".
>
> 	Don't bother apologizing, just don't do it again.  If you want
> to discuss the relative merits and problems with various methods of software
> distribution, you can, but it shouldn't be in the context of your corporation.
>
> 					-Matt

Oh, dandy.  They can follow the usual net practice of debating to pieces
software problems with the usual impractical and useless discussion that
accompanies it but they can't provide a real, feasable, and useful solution
because it is too 'commercial'.  Spare me the holier than thou
pronouncements.  I would bet there are more than a few hackers on this
group that would like to release shareware but realize it is a losing
proposition.  I know that I find limited commercial postings of far
more interest than much of what passes through this group and doubt
that I am the only one.

Lighten up.  The key phrase here is moderation.  Why is an occasional
short and succinct posting from a corporation any better or worse than
a net member with no association giving the same info.

David Albrecht