[comp.sys.amiga] Overscan graphics

hobie@sq.UUCP (04/08/87)

	In the latest Amazing Computing rumours column it is mentioned that
all the latest Aegis stuff coming out is done with overscan screens.  The
column author mentions that the programmers "changed some Intuition internal
structures and called ReThinkDisplay()".  Does anyone know the details of this
scheme?  I am sure there are others out there who would be interested in this
information, as overscan graphics, being better suited for production quality
video, will probably be the wave of the future for Amiga graphics.

 Hobie Orris			 	|"You don't have to be crazy to work
 SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, Ont.		|here, but if you aren't we'll rip out
 {ihnp4 | decvax | ? }!utzoo!sq!hobie	|your liver with a card saw" - evil ed

(NSA terrorist CIA cryptography DES drugs NRO cipher IRS secret RSA decode
coke libyan crack penguin lust russian nuclear missile atom assassinate)

hadeishi@husc7.UUCP (04/13/87)

Re: Overscan graphics under Intuition . . .

	Yes, that's exactly how it is done, fairly simple, really.
SlideShow 1.2 will support full overscan displays as well as panning
(although panning and overscan do not mix well.)  Unfortunately, due
to the design of Intuition, Intuition will not work well on a panned
screen (Intuition doesn't know about the Dx, DyOffset in the RasInfo
structure of the ViewPort of the Screen.  So it renders into the bitmap
oblivious to this, although the "hot spots" of gadgets and so forth
are where you'd expect them to be.  So you have to reset Dx and DyOffset
to zero before using Intuition gadgets, requesters, etc.  Too bad.)

				-Mitsu

dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (04/14/87)

	Word of Warning:  For all you developers out there, DON'T COUNT ON
OVERSCAN when developing programs!!!  That is, any software you develop had
better run on a normal 640x200 screen as well.  Remember, there are people
out there who don't have fancy monitors... or even monitors at all, and many
TV's can't handle anything larger than 640x200 (640x400 interlaced).

	A good example is a modem program... you don't want to open a
650x210 normal (w/borders etc...) window to get 80x25 text unless you first
check to see if the (workbench) screen can handle it... easy enough to do.

					-Matt

UD118191@NDSUVM1.BITNET (04/27/87)

What Hobie says is true...more and more future graphics programs will have to
be written for the Overscan or "FullVideo" mode on the Amiga. This is very
very necessary, especially since quite a few people use their Amigas for
desktop video, and to make things professional, it is imparative that the
overscan mode is adopted in future graphics programs to make the picture as
close to broadcast quality as possible. For instance, Jim Kent, the author of
Aegis Animator, is working on another version of animator that will support
overscan from what I hear! Also, I'm pretty sure that someone in the future
will put out a PD program called something like "SeeFull" or "SeeOver" that
will basically do the same thing as "Seepic" but it will display a Fullvideo

IFF file. Look for these things and more in the future. If the Amiga is to be
considered for its graphics applications, the increased use of the Fullvideo
mode will become necessary. The only problem is that Deluxe Paint 2 by Dan
Silva sets its own FullVideo mode maximum to 676 X 444 in HI-Res interlaced
mode. Well, Mr. Silva, I have news for you: Many Monitors that are being used
with Amigas can display several more pixels then 676 X 444 in fullvideo mode.
The Sony KV-1311CR is just one example. I have calculated the Sony's Overscan
maximum to be approximately 704 X 480. THat's Ok...Dpaint 2 is more messed up
than just its Fullvideo "Blunder." In fact, there were so many bugs reported
in Dpaint 2 that a new version of Dpaint 2 has been released according to the

people at Electronic Arts in San Mateo. Since I use Dpaint 2 extensively for
the production of TV weather graphics, I need a program that is more bug free
than Dpaint 2, so I called EA and complained. The gentlman that I talked to
told me that there is a way to determine if you have the old or "new" version
of Dpaint 2. Follow these instructions:

1.) Load Dpaint
2.) Bring the pointer to the Picture menu.
3.) Select the "About" part of the Picture menu (just above the Quit option).
4.) A window will pop up on your screen displaying the EA and Dan Silva

    Copyright information.
5.) Note where the capital E in Electronic Arts is.
6.) If the E in Electronic Arts falls directly below the 9 in 1986 then your
    Deluxe Paint 2 is the old version!
7.) Send in your original disk ot EA and get a FREE upgrade of Dpaint 2! Yes,
    a FREE upgrade...this is why EA has not widely publicised this info!

Good luck!

* Brendan Larson, KCNN Weather                                              *
* & Weather-Buffs Company-->>"Dedicated to Expanding the Horizons of the    *
*                                                                           *
* UD118191@NDSUVM1.BITNET                  A M I G A !"                     *
*                                          ^^^^^^^^^^                       *

In article <136UD118191@NDSUVM1> UD118191@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:
>What Hobie says is true...more and more future graphics programs will have to
>be written for the Overscan or "FullVideo" mode on the Amiga. This is very
>very necessary, especially since quite a few people use their Amigas for
>desktop video, and to make things professional, it is imparative that the
>overscan mode is adopted in future graphics programs to make the picture as
>close to broadcast quality as possible.

Yes, yes, *BUT* remember overscan is a the expense of sprites!  Those extra
video fetches have to come from somewhere.  As you use more pixels, the
higher numbered sprites will be preempted, and unless disabled, funny video
smearing will result.

>Yes, yes, *BUT* remember overscan is a the expense of sprites!  Those extra
>video fetches have to come from somewhere.  As you use more pixels, the
>higher numbered sprites will be preempted, and unless disabled, funny video
>smearing will result.

	A perfectly acceptable solution for me... I never use more than one
sprite anyway (my mouse pointer).  Game programs which use sprites aren't
effected because they open their own custom screen...  Of course, Zoing,
Boing, (etc.... ) are all effected, but then those are only demos.

					-Matt