[comp.sys.amiga] The New IBM Wonder-Toys

mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP (04/04/87)

So, I got to see a demo of the New Personal System/2 here on campus
yesterday.  It was being shown by an IBM rep that looked like she had
all of 20 minutes experience with the machine.  Apparently they've
repackaged the PC and AT into the Personal System/2 models 30 and 60
respectively.  They've added a fair amount of stuff standard,
including video circuitry on the mother board that handles 640x480
with 256 colors simultaneous out of 262,000.  The pictures it
generated in the demo were "Amiga-quality."  The version 30 has an
8086 at 8 Mhz, the 60 has an 80286 at 10 Mhz.  They weren't showing
the 386 machine (the Personal System model 80), but it has been
announced (two models, low end 16 Mhz, high end 20 Mhz).  The
expansion bus is proprietary and is also auto-config, if I understood
the saleslady correctly (she was glowing about how the auto-config
"intelligence is distributed across the machine.")

With the educational discounts they're giving here at CMU (and I
suspect many other universities as well), a 386 PC with 1 floppy, 44
meg hard drive and color display costs $5500.  A comparably equipped
Mac II (1 floppy, 40 meg SCSI) costs $4000.  So IBM isn't even being
competitive with Apple.  The system 30 (XT equivalent) can be had for
less than $2000.

I suspect IBM may find itself caught between a rock (Apple) and a hard
place (the clone makers).  But after seeing these new machines, I
can't help but think the whizzy graphics display the new PCs contain
wouldn't be there if it wasn't for the Amiga's influence on the
market.

				--M

--

Mike Portuesi / Carnegie-Mellon University Computer Science Department
ARPA:	mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu

"Amiga hackers do it graphically, with lots of sound effects"

"Mac owners dream in black and white
 Atari owners dream in color...
 but Amigoids dream using Hold and Modify!"

farren@hoptoad.UUCP (04/18/87)

In article <1177@spice.cs.cmu.edu> mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>The expansion bus is proprietary and is also auto-config, if I understood
>the saleslady correctly (she was glowing about how the auto-config
>"intelligence is distributed across the machine.")

My understanding is that cards can now have a lot more intelligence, and the
resources will be there to support it.  The expansion bus ("microchannel") is
evidently set up to allow for independent communications between cards at will,
without requiring data to be routed through the processor.  This can be a BIG
advantage in terms of I/O speed if software allows for it.

>With the educational discounts they're giving here at CMU (and I
>suspect many other universities as well), a 386 PC with 1 floppy, 44
>meg hard drive and color display costs $5500.  A comparably equipped
>Mac II (1 floppy, 40 meg SCSI) costs $4000.  So IBM isn't even being
>competitive with Apple.  The system 30 (XT equivalent) can be had for
>less than $2000.

I suspect that the '386 machine will have greater computational capacity.
Most benchmarks that I have seen have the '386 running slightly faster
than an equivalent 68020.  Also, the '386 has the MMU built in, whereas
the Mac II requires an add-on card (which isn't available yet).  Finally,
I/O on the IBM machine will likely be a lot faster, especially disk I/O.
The ESDI interface used on the IBM is considerably quicker than the SCSI
the Mac uses.

Still an Amigan ---

--
----------------
                 "... if the church put in half the time on covetousness

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (04/20/87)

in article <2004@hoptoad.uucp>, farren@hoptoad.uucp (Mike Farren) says:

> In article <1177@spice.cs.cmu.edu> mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>>The expansion bus is proprietary and is also auto-config, if I understood
>>the saleslady correctly (she was glowing about how the auto-config
>>"intelligence is distributed across the machine.")
>
> My understanding is that cards can now have a lot more intelligence, and the
> resources will be there to support it.  The expansion bus ("microchannel") is
> evidently set up to allow for independent communications between cards at will,
> without requiring data to be routed through the processor.  This can be a BIG
> advantage in terms of I/O speed if software allows for it.

The larger machines are supposed to have the "micro-channel" bus, whatever that
is, along with some kind of autoconfiguration scheme.  Haven't seen any of the
larger machines, though, as of now.  We did get the Model 30 in house.  The
configuration is 1 3-1/2" floppy, one 3-1/2" hard disk (the hard disk uses an
IBM-specific hard disk inferface, involving some large IBM custom controller
chips), and one color monitor.  The system cost something over $3000.

There's no "micro-channel" bus on the Model 30, its a normal PC 62 pin bus.
The unusual thing about it is that the 3 slots are available on a plug-in
card, and everything mounts horizontally.  Its possible that this plug-in
3-slot card could be replaced with something else, like a different bus or
more slots (more slots would require a larger case).

The video, while still driven by the processor (in this case an 8086) is
good looking.  The video circuitry consists of two gate arrays, 64K of
video memory (shift register DRAM), and various glue chips.  The only really
interesting graphic mode is the 320x200x8, which of course gives you 256
simultaneous colors out of a palette of 256K? (they're using an INMOS
color lookup table, I forget the exact size of this pallette).  The video
logic is doing scan doubling as well as the more common pixel doubling in
this lo-res mode, so there aren't any signal differences between the low
and high resolution modes.  The high resolution modes allow a maximum of
16 colors (all video is based on that 64K of video RAM), so they're nothing
different than Amiga hi-res modes, and of course, there's no blitter or
copper to speed things up.

> The ESDI interface used on the IBM is considerably quicker than the SCSI
> the Mac uses.

Even the 10 meg/sec of a SCSI drive is fast enough for me, if only our DOS
would do something more efficiently with it.  Someday...

> Still an Amigan ---
> ----------------
>                  "... if the church put in half the time on covetousness
> Mike Farren      that it does on lust, this would be a better world ..."
> hoptoad!farren       Garrison Keillor, "Lake Wobegon Days"
--
Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh
"The A2000 Guy"                    BIX   : hazy

In article <1177@spice.cs.cmu.edu> mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>including video circuitry on the mother board that handles 640x480
>with 256 colors simultaneous out of 262,000.  The pictures it

The specs I saw said you get 256 colors in the 320x200 mode and only
16 in the 640x480 mode.

>announced (two models, low end 16 Mhz, high end 20 Mhz).  The
>expansion bus is proprietary and is also auto-config, if I understood
>the saleslady correctly (she was glowing about how the auto-config
>"intelligence is distributed across the machine.")

What I thought was funny was watching the IBM salesman on 'The Computer
Show' demonstrate the advantages of the new 3-1/2 inch drive "See, you
can put them in your pocket" and being reminded of the Apple guys doing
that some 3 years ago.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locusasasa

mb@munnari.oz (Michael Bednarek) (04/22/87)

In article <1495@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:
>What I thought was funny was watching the IBM salesman on 'The Computer
>Show' demonstrate the advantages of the new 3-1/2 inch drive "See, you
>can put them in your pocket" and being reminded of the Apple guys doing
>that some 3 years ago.
>
>Keith Doyle

I think IBM should be applauded for doing the right thing.
( ... more joy about one repentant sinner ... )

And, as a flow-on, 90mm disks (as IBM calls them here) should now
become real cheap?

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (04/22/87)

In article <1571@munnari.oz> mb@munnari.UUCP (Michael Bednarek) writes:
>In article <1495@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:
>>What I thought was funny was watching the IBM salesman on 'The Computer
>>Show' demonstrate the advantages of the new 3-1/2 inch drive "See, you
>>can put them in your pocket" and being reminded of the Apple guys doing
>>that some 3 years ago.
>>
>>Keith Doyle
>
>I think IBM should be applauded for doing the right thing.
>( ... more joy about one repentant sinner ... )
>
>And, as a flow-on, 90mm disks (as IBM calls them here) should now
>become real cheap?

Huh?  The diskettes have already been getting pretty cheap without IBM's help.

Likewise drive prices have been steadily descending, mostly due to competition
between Japanese vendors.  IBM is using custom mechanisms that don't use the
standard power and signal cable arrangement.  Avoiding standardization doesn't
help lower overall prices.

Likewise the PS/30 has a non-standard 3.5" hard drive.  This means the average
dealer or customer can't just buy a generic drive and stick it in.  Now there
will have to be ST506 3.5" drives, SCSI 3.5" drives and IBM 3.5" hard drives.

Sometimes IBM leads and sometimes they follow.  Most of the time they try real
hard to watch their ass and protect their profits.  I wouldn't be surprised if
their 3.5" drives spin backwards 8-).

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (04/23/87)

In article <1495@cadovax.UUCP>, keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:

> What I thought was funny was watching the IBM salesman on 'The Computer
> Show' demonstrate the advantages of the new 3-1/2 inch drive "See, you
> can put them in your pocket" and being reminded of the Apple guys doing
> that some 3 years ago.

I was watching The Computer Show too via my satellite dish.  I
found the whole IBM demo rather amusing.  I thought it was rather
appropriate that the show started out with Victoria standing in
front of a building that looked rather like the Kremlin.

Well to get to the point, I got the biggest laugh out of the
Microsoft Windows demo, where they mentioned that in about a year,
we'll be able to stack up our windows, rather than tile-ing them
next to each other.-- Like, ummm, that's a real breakthrough.

Unfortunately, the Amiga has only made one solitary appearance on
The Computer Show, and it was when C-A announced PeeCee
compatibility using the Sidecar.  It didn't look good, as somebody
had dropped the Sidecar on the ground on the way to the show, and
it was not operational for the demo-- well, that's live TV fer ya.

My favorite silliness on TCS was Jean Louis Gasse of Apple showing
off the Mac II prototype where in he crashed the machine several
times, and pretended that it was a feature rather than a bug.
Typical Apple marketing fer ya.

My favorite recent goof was the recent premier issue of a computer
magazine that featured a free diskette supposedly with $30 worth of
free software.  There was also an unintended bonus-  the publisher
accicentally bound in 5 pages of Playboy's Miss May centerfold!  I
heard that it was selling like crazy- never mind the free disk.

Bill Mayhew
The Mad Science Torture Dungeon
Northeastern Ohio Universities' College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272  USA    phone:  216-325-2511
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP   ...!cbatt!neoucom!wtm)

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (04/23/87)

In article <556@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>Well to get to the point, I got the biggest laugh out of the
>Microsoft Windows demo, where they mentioned that in about a year,
>we'll be able to stack up our windows, rather than tile-ing them
>next to each other.-- Like, ummm, that's a real breakthrough.

Given sufficient screen area, I prefer the tile desktop.  On my Amiga at
home, I use stacking out of necessity.  On my Sun-3 at work I usually have
two or three 80 column wide windows open next to each other, in which I
do the majority of my work.  I like to be able to see everything at once
without resorting to moving things around.  Maybe this is partly because
I find the Sun window environment more awkward than the Amiga's.  It certainly
isn't because of "neatness", my physical desk is a lot more stacked than
tiled... :-) :-)

Guess its largely a matter of taste.  Anyone know of any studies on the
subject?

-Fred
--
= Drug tests; just say *NO*!  (Moto just announced new drug testing program)  =
= Fred Fish  Motorola Computer Division, 3013 S 52nd St, Tempe, Az 85282  USA =

spierce@crash.UUCP (04/23/87)

I heard that 75% of the 3 1/2" disks are made in Japan, and that prices may
jump due to tariffs.

carolyn@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (04/28/87)

In article <1047@crash.CTS.COM> spierce@pnet01.CTS.COM (Stuart Pierce) writes:
>I heard that 75% of the 3 1/2" disks are made in Japan, and that prices may
>jump due to tariffs.

   I sure hope not.  All of the reliable disks I've ever used were made
in Japan.  In general, the shells and hubs are more to-spec.  They seem
to seat solidly in every drive I've tried them on.  If I have to use disks
with USA shells, I use them for Write Once stuff only.
Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (04/29/87)

I thought I'd reply to Fred's response to my article about desiring
to be able to stack windows in OS/2.  I agree that side-by-side
windows on something of the resolution of a sun screen makes tiling
acceptible.  Even the new ibm screens don't have really adequate
resolution.  I'd also like to be able to make the choice- with
stackable windows; you can still tile if you want.

Soooo, you're right!

  --Bill  (wtm@neoucom.UUCP)