[comp.sys.amiga] Recent CBM upheaval

lachac@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Gerard Lachac) (04/27/87)

Does anyone on the net have any real information on the recent removal
of T. Rattigan as CEO of Commodore??  So far  stocks have been affected,
and from what I gather a lot of other things.

For instance the list price of the A2000 going from $1495 to $1695.  At
a small computer show in Fairfield, NJ that was the price orders for the
A2000 were being taken for.

What other price/policy changes will be taking place?  I heard that Kmart
et al. will now be the major distributor of CBM products.

"Tis the best of time, tis the worst of times..."

--
		"Truth is false and logic lost..."
					- Neil Peart

ali@rocky.UUCP (04/28/87)

In article <11465@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> Gerard Lachac writes:
>For instance the list price of the A2000 going from $1495 to $1695.

I have Abel Supply's price list from April 16th (before this "upheavel"),
and they mention the Amiga 2000 suggested retail price as $1695,
not $1495. Seems like the price raise is not related to this upheavel.

Along totally different lines, has anyone tried executing the
"littletask" example from Chapter 9 of Rob Peck's book under Manx?
I have had no luck -- I've set the littletask stack to 10000, the main
program stack to 40000, and still no luck. Seems like the littletask
can do simple things like "while(1);" and function calls to other
functions in my program, but as soon as I call an Exec function like
(FindTask()), I get a GURU. (I realize I can't call AmigaDOS functions
from a task. I just want to be able to call FindTask(), FindPort(),
and Get/PutMsg()...) This program works under Lattice anyway --- At least
the compiled version on Peck's disk does...

Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu

[ps. I'm using Manx 3.30e and still waiting for my 3.40a.]

ali@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) (04/28/87)

In article <276@rocky.STANFORD.EDU> I write:
>Has anyone tried executing the "littletask" example from Chapter 9
>of Rob Peck's book under Manx? I have had no luck.

Tom Rokicki just pointed out that I need to call geta4() (or do the same
sort of thing in assembly) otherwise anything I do involving any globals
is not going to work... I haven't tested it yet, but I think that
will work.

Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu

kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) (04/28/87)

In article <11465@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) writes:

>Does anyone on the net have any real information [...]
>What other price/policy changes will be taking place?  I heard that Kmart
>et al. will now be the major distributor of CBM products.

Well, not REAL real information, but I had an enlightening conversation with a
local dealer last week about the Amiga.

The gist of the conversation was that Commodore had really killed dealer
relations with the list price cut to $1295 for the A1000, which, he said,
was done without consulting with or warning the dealers, and the price
cut all came out of the dealer's profit.  He related the story of a local
dealership, which took delivery on several hundred Amigas, then got the
shock of the price cut.  The owner, he continued, told his sales staff:
"Sell them for what you can get, then close the place down."  He concluded:
"Commodore is never going to succeed if they keep lowering prices."

I thought about this one for a while.  I love, as a consumer, having great
hardware at low prices, but most of the Amiga dealers of last year in the
Norfolk area don't carry the line any more.  It isn't much fun having to
drive to the next town to get service or shop for accessories.  The fellow
I spoke to was selling  off his Amiga software at cost - nobody was buying.
Amiga software piracy locally is rampant, so it is easy to see why.

Driving your dealers out of business is a fine way to end up in Kmart, as is
joining the ranks of PC Clones.  The A1000 was a fantastic machine.  The A2000
is a PC Clone with some nice features, which were unique a year ago but are
state of the art this year (Apple has better sound, IBM has more low res
colors and better high res resolution, Atari does Juggler too..."Runs IBM
software?  Yawn.  I want a home machine for fun.  I have to live with that junk
at the office all day.").  Guess which way of presenting yourself has the
better chance of succeeding in the market.

Disgruntled Commodore stockholder (former happy Commodore stockholder ;-).

Kent.

In article <276@rocky.STANFORD.EDU> ali@rocky.UUCP (Ali Ozer) writes:
>In article <11465@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> Gerard Lachac writes:
>>For instance the list price of the A2000 going from $1495 to $1695.
>
>I have Abel Supply's price list from April 16th (before this "upheavel"),
>and they mention the Amiga 2000 suggested retail price as $1695,
>not $1495. Seems like the price raise is not related to this upheavel.

I would worry about the price when the units show up on the shelves.  All is
preliminary until then.  I think it probably a bit early for anyone to be
taking deposits.

carolyn@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (04/30/87)

In article <276@rocky.STANFORD.EDU> ali@rocky.UUCP (Ali Ozer) writes:
>[]
>Along totally different lines, has anyone tried executing the
>"littletask" example from Chapter 9 of Rob Peck's book under Manx?
>I have had no luck -- I've set the littletask stack to 10000, the main
>program stack to 40000, and still no luck. Seems like the littletask
>can do simple things like "while(1);" and function calls to other
>functions in my program, but as soon as I call an Exec function like
>(FindTask()), I get a GURU. (I realize I can't call AmigaDOS functions
>from a task. I just want to be able to call FindTask(), FindPort(),
>and Get/PutMsg()...) This program works under Lattice anyway --- At least
>the compiled version on Peck's disk does...

   The following is a re-posting of the sava4/geta4 inline assembler
required when spawning a task (or process or interrupt handler ?) with
Manx.

(From: crunch@well.UUCP (John Draper))

    I got permission from Jim Goodnough from Manx to publish the following
information.   Manx C has some problems when spawning tasks.   It appears
that the A4 register is improperly set.    Below is some code that you
need to add to get multi-tasking to work properly.

   Before calling the "AddTask" function,  it is necessary to call the
sava4() function which is listed below.    Then, in your Task,  you need to
call geta4().   The code below can be included in your source or be
seperately compiled and linked into your program.

/*====================================================================
  Get and Save A4 Regs code for Manx
=====================================================================*/
 #asm
a4sav  dc.l    0

        public  _sava4
_sava4
        lea     a4sav,a0
        move.l  a4,(a0)
        rts

        public  _geta4
_geta4
        move.l  a4sav,a4
        rts
 #endasm

Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180