[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga drive noise

conn@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Avery Shealey) (04/27/87)

I have a new Amiga 1000 with an extenal drive. How much noice should
the drives make? Both the internal drive and the external drives
sound like old PC drives. I also noticed that when I use Maxell 2D
disks, the drives are quieter than when I use the disks I bought when
I got my amiga.

Thanks alot.

Avery Shealey

Yesterday I could't spell engineer, now I are one.

uucp: ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!conn
ARPA: conn@pyr.ocs.gatech.edu

rgm@utcsri.UUCP (04/28/87)

In article <3501@gitpyr.gatech.EDU> conn@gitpyr.UUCP (Avery Shealey) writes:
>I have a new Amiga 1000 with an extenal drive. How much noice should
>the drives make? Both the internal drive and the external drives
>sound like old PC drives. I also noticed that when I use Maxell 2D
>disks, the drives are quieter than when I use the disks I bought when
>I got my amiga.

I normally use Fuji disks, and apart from the hideous grinding noise
the drive makes when seeking I get barely any noise at all.
For comparison: I borrowed a disk  from someone this afternoon
to bring home some software and it sounds terrible - like the disk is loose
inside the casing, I get a hiss-like noise that makes me think the disk is
being sandpapered in the drive. The guy I borrowed it from had a couple
of boxes of them - they had no brand name  ( just a made in USA stamp )
were black and were cheap (he said).
needles to say the software got moved onto a Fuji pronto.
summary: may well be the brand of disk thats the source of noise.

Gideon Sheps (or Cheops, as my Egyptian relatives spell it)
I am not a number !...                             ...I am a free variable !
gbs@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu                                          ///
gbs@utorgpu.bitnet/EARN/NetNorth                              \\\///
      I don't need a disclamer 'cause nobody listens to me.    \\\/

jerem@tekgvs.TEK.COM (Jere Marrs) (04/30/87)

In article <4688@utcsri.UUCP> gbs@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Gideon Sheps) writes:
>For comparison: I borrowed a disk  from someone this afternoon
>to bring home some software and it sounds terrible - like the disk is loose
>inside the casing, I get a hiss-like noise that makes me think the disk is
>being sandpapered in the drive. The guy I borrowed it from had a couple
>of boxes of them - they had no brand name  ( just a made in USA stamp )
>were black and were cheap (he said).

	That is most interesting. I just received two disks from Aegis
Development (SONIX, a wonderful program!) and I placed them in my external
drive. They would not `validate' and `info' said "unreadable disk." Hmm.

	I tried the other disk and the same thing happened. The disks
were black and had those same strange markings: MADE IN USA.

	Oddly, I placed them in the internal drive, and they validated
just fine. I desparately copied them onto generic disks I bought at
Egghead Software (MADE IN JAPAN). Now _every_ disk in my collection
(>100) will validate in df1: on my machine except these from Aegis.

	It would be nice for MADE IN USA to give me a warm feeling,
but, alas.

	I'm having great fun with SONIX.

Jere M. Marrs
Tektronix, Inc.