[comp.sys.amiga] amigas in real life/marketing

mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (04/25/87)

lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) writes:

> Yes, Petty has an Amiga in his new video.
>
> Maybe CBM should hire him to do their advertising, it's the first
> time I have seen the Amiga on TV in months....

Excellent idea!  Why not hire Tom Petty to do the advertising?  Or
someone else that's into the performing arts (especially synth and
video) such as Thomas Dolby or Deborah Harry.  I like Honda's ad
campaign for their scooters that featured Devo and Grace Jones.  A
similar ad campaign for the Amiga 500, aired on MTV, would be money
well spent.  It would reach thousands of high-school and college
students who appreciate the finer points of personal computers such as
glitzy graphics and sound effects.

It's a much better idea than Commdore's old campaign of "Buy a C-64 or
your kid will fail in life", Atari's current crop of Lies,  IBM's
M*A*S*H revival, or Apple's attempt at wooing the Yuppie crowd.

--

Mike Portuesi / Carnegie-Mellon University Computer Science Department
ARPA:	mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu

"Amiga hackers do it graphically, with lots of sound effects"

"Mac owners dream in black and white
 Atari owners dream in color...
 but Amigoids dream using Hold and Modify!"

ud118191@ndsuvm1.bitnet.UUCP (04/28/87)

About the Amiga being show on TV, etc. Well, besides the highly publicized
"Amigas on Miami Vice," I was watching WGN-TV (a popular channel that carries
Chicago Cubs baseball accross the country on cable TV) and they were running
an episode of Magnum P.I. (but I don't know if it was a re-run or not). And,
the scene had Magnum in a nice-looking yuppie-ish ladies office (she has some
status symbol) and behind the ladies desk was another desk that had none
other than an Amiga sitting on top of it! After the lady left, Magnum broke
into her office in serach of some important documentation, and he went right
to the desk which had the Amiga sitting on top of it! Too bad he didn't turn
on the Amiga and start tinkering with it! UD118191@NDSUVM1.BITNET

cjp@vax135.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (04/29/87)

In article <1186@spice.cs.cmu.edu> mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>Excellent idea!  Why not hire Tom Petty to do the advertising? ... A
>similar ad campaign for the Amiga 500, aired on MTV, would be money
>well spent.  It would reach thousands of high-school and college
>students who appreciate the finer points of personal computers such as
>glitzy graphics and sound effects.

Amen!  Yayus!   Right on!   Advertise on MTV!   Money in the bank!   Do It!
Seriously, you cbmvax folks, see if you can forward this to yer new ad agency.

	--  Charles Poirier

iqbal@crash.UUCP (05/01/87)

Speaking of Amigas on TV, I saw one on "Sledge Hammer" the other night. They
were using it too! But the name on the monitor was covered with some colored
stripes so you coudn't see the name.

                                     Iqbal Hans

        UUCP:   {akgua, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!iqbal
        ARPA:   crash!pnet01!iqbal@nosc
        INET:   iqbal@pnet01.CTS.COM