[comp.sys.amiga] Future Amiga Video

philip@dalcsug.UUCP (04/16/87)

In article <1673@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>Anybody who has some neat ideas should suggest them now, but please be sure
>to consider all the system implications, including memory bandwidth, hardware
>compatibility, software compatibility and incremental cost.  At least that's
>what we have to do at this end...

What new boards are being planned for the 2000's video slot?  Is it possible
to plug in a ultra-hi-res-lotsa-colours board into this slot and could it
be done on a 1000?  It would be real nice if the system could have information
on the current maximums of screen height,width and depth so that the program
could check what those values were and varry its output accordingly.
That way a cad program written today that uses 640x400x16 could use
1024x1024x256 when(if) that becomes available without having to do a revision.

If you want a wish list ... 6 planes in 640x400 (HAM) and 5 in normal
mode (640x400x32).  And whatever you do - leave in an option for interlace,
desktop video is not a market that commodore can ignore!

Peter Philip
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia

In article <63@dalcsug.UUCP> philip@dalcsug.UUCP (Peter Philip) writes:

>What new boards are being planned for the 2000's video slot?  Is it possible
>to plug in a ultra-hi-res-lotsa-colours board into this slot and could it
>be done on a 1000?

The video slot is primarily intended to allow implementation of an internal
Genlock peripheral.  It can also used to mount a composite video/RF modulator
board.

The slot provides the same kind of signals present on the video connector
and the audio connectors.  It would possible to come up with a more advanced
audio/visual board, however if a lot of control/data transfer is needed you
would need to cross connect to a board on the normal expansion bus.

>                 It would be real nice if the system could have information
>on the current maximums of screen height,width and depth so that the program
>could check what those values were and varry its output accordingly.
>That way a cad program written today that uses 640x400x16 could use
>1024x1024x256 when(if) that becomes available without having to do a revision.

This general capability is already present and is used to switch between NTSC
and PAL display formats in a software sense.  It would need to be expanded
a bit for radical display formats.

kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) (04/26/87)

In article <1735@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, grr@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
> The video slot is primarily intended to allow implementation of an internal
> Genlock peripheral.  It can also used to mount a composite video/RF modulator
> board.
>
> The slot provides the same kind of signals present on the video connector
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> and the audio connectors.  It would possible to come up with a more advanced
> audio/visual board, however if a lot of control/data transfer is needed you
> would need to cross connect to a board on the normal expansion bus.

I've see it mentioned in several places that the "Westchester design" of the
A2000 will have additional signals available at the video slot, while the
"German design" will not.

In particular, the "Westchester design" is supposed to make available the 12
raw RGB bits, which would then permit add on boards to do things like "Chroma
Keying", in addition to "Genlocking".

Is this correct, George?  How can one tell if one is getting one design or the
other?  Are there yet other signals that the "Westchester design" provides in
addition to the raw RGB signals?

On a related topic ... when and where can one get the technical specs, etc. on
the A2000?

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb,cbosgd}!amdahl!kim

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

In article <6370@amdahl.UUCP> kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) writes:

>I've see it mentioned in several places that the "Westchester design" of the
>A2000 will have additional signals available at the video slot, while the
>"German design" will not.

	The German design has all the basic features, while the West Chester
	design is intended to lower production costs.  We did take the liberty
	of adding a few simple enhancemnts.

>Is this correct, George?  How can one tell if one is getting one design or the
>other?

	Current plans are that production machines in the US will all be of
	the West Chester variety.

>In particular, the "Westchester design" is supposed to make available the 12
>raw RGB bits, which would then permit add on boards to do things like "Chroma
>Keying", in addition to "Genlocking".

	Actually, the requests I've heard for chroma-keying work the other way,
	with video being switched based of the color of the external video
	input.  This would let you point your camera at a model against a blue
	backdrop and have just the model appear superimposed over an amiga
	generated graphics background.  This is really an analog video function.

	The other effect would be simple to accomplish by making bit 15 of the
	color registers control the pixel-switch bit, instead of keying on
	"color 0".  This is something we're thinking about...

> Are there yet other signals that the "Westchester design" provides in
>addition to the raw RGB signals?

	Most of the internally available video and audio signals, assorted
	clocks and the parallel port signals are present on an additional
	connector.

	One other little goodie we snuck into both the A500 and WC A2000 is a
	control bit to disable the compromise anti-aliasing filter in the audio-
	output.  Assuming you use a high-sampling rate and/or an external anti-
	alias filter, you can get some really impressive audio out of the box.

>On a related topic ... when and where can one get the technical specs, etc. on
>the A2000?

	At this point the only way is to get yourself signed up as a developer.
	There's really not much new stuff because of the degree of compatibility
	with the A1000 and the "zorro" bus described in the existing expansion
	documentation.

rossi@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Lisa Rossi CATS) (04/27/87)

In article <6370@amdahl.UUCP> kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) writes:

>On a related topic ... when and where can one get the technical specs, etc. on
>the A2000?

We are currently working on the technical specs for the A2000.  As soon as
they become available I will let the net know.

Lisa Rossi-Siracusa		Commodore Business Machines
				uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!rossi
				arpa: cbmvax!rossi@seismo.css.GOV
				or    rossi@cbmvax.UUCP@{seismo|harvard}
				tel : (215) 431-9180
--  a mime is a terrible thing to waste --

miner@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Rich A Miner ) (04/27/87)