[comp.sys.amiga] New Amiga

res@sdiris1.UUCP (Robert Sanders) (04/09/87)

Well, no one asked my source to sign any non-disclosure agreements, so...
( :-) )
Current rumors have it that there will be an Amiga 375 released in
the european market around Christmas (subject to the usuall slips)
which will be targeted at arount $375 list with fewer easy add ons,
but still software compatable with the 500/1000/2000...

much later in the usa, if at all, considering FCC approval needs.
(probly a plastic case and no shields?)

Heap big lotta stuff for the amiga showing at "The One Computer Show"
here in San Diego... was told that some IBM sales types were seen and
heard saying "our machines can't do THAT.. :(" when observing some
new amiga software... until their boss caught em and dragged em away..
(they were saying it when a local news crew was filming.. if THAT gets
 on the air, some jobs will be open REAL soon now..)

Interesting things going on in amigaland.. as usual...

--
Skip Sanders :  sdcsvax!ucsdhub!jack!man!sdiris1!res
Phone : 619-273-8725 (evenings)

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (04/11/87)

In article <566@sdiris1.UUCP> res@sdiris1.UUCP (Robert Sanders) writes:
>Well, no one asked my source to sign any non-disclosure agreements, so...
>( :-) )
>Current rumors have it that there will be an Amiga 375 released in
>the european market around Christmas (subject to the usuall slips)
>which will be targeted at arount $375 list with fewer easy add ons,
>but still software compatable with the 500/1000/2000...

That sounds like speculation rather than rumor.  The A500 was engineered from
day 1 to the the lowest cost "real Amiga" that we could design.  You could, of
course, leave out minor things like the keyboard, floppy, memory and power
supply to meet your target price, but add-ons alone won't do it.

It is also quite possible to build a twin joystick arcade game console using the
Amiga chipset, but right now we have better things to work on.  To paraphrase a
a current purveyor of Atari 2600 game consoles, why buy a game console when you
can get a real computer?

UD118191@NDSUVM1.BITNET (04/21/87)

I'd like to reply to some of these long-range Amiga rumors. As for the Amiga
375, I have my doubts. But I did hear a rumor that originated out of Chicago:
Supposedly, the Amiga 500 will NOT be released as pictured in the latest
issue of Amazing Computing. Why? What? My gosh, you're all saying, right?
The apparent reason behind this latest rumor is that a lot of the third party
hardware maufacturers were complaining about the bus being on the left side
of the A500, etc. And, if this is true, then supposedly the Amiga 1000 will
be manugactured with the A500 chips (e.g., FatAgnes) but will probably be
housed in the A1000 case. Any C-Amiga people out there who'd like to comment?

* Brendan Larson, Meteorologist                                             * *
* KCNN Radio, Grand Forks, ND (UD118191@NDSUVM1.Bitnet)                     *
* & President, Weather-Buffs Co.-->>"Dedicated to Expanding the Horizons of  *
*************************************the AMIGA Computer!"*******************  *
                                    **********************

In article <133UD118191@NDSUVM1> UD118191@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:
>I'd like to reply to some of these long-range Amiga rumors. As for the Amiga
>375, I have my doubts.

	Have no doubt's, it isn't going to happen.  List for the A500 has
	been mentioned at $650 initially, and nobody's going to give them
	away for half-price...

>                       But I did hear a rumor that originated out of Chicago:
>Supposedly, the Amiga 500 will NOT be released as pictured in the latest
>issue of Amazing Computing.

	Sorry, the machine as pictured is hitting the shelves in Europe right
	about now and and is making good progress towards the US shelves...

>The apparent reason behind this latest rumor is that a lot of the third party
>hardware maufacturers were complaining about the bus being on the left side
>of the A500, etc. And, if this is true, then supposedly the Amiga 1000 will
>be manugactured with the A500 chips (e.g., FatAgnes) but will probably be
>housed in the A1000 case.

	The hardware folks have a legitimate gripe, however most of them
	seem to admit that the potential A500 volume makes it worthwhile
	to rework their products for that market.

	Iff there is a continued demand for the A1000 style machine, then
	revising the main board to use the A500 chipset would be a reasonable
	idea, but it's not going to happen unless people vote with their
	wallets...

john13@garfield.UUCP (04/27/87)

In article <1739@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, grr@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:

> 	Iff there is a continued demand for the A1000 style machine, then
> 	revising the main board to use the A500 chipset would be a reasonable
> 	idea, but it's not going to happen unless people vote with their
> 	wallets...
> --

This may seem like a silly question, but if all A1000's get sold and there
are only 2000's and 500's in the stores, it would be a little tough for
people to vote with their wallets ("Well, here's some money, you keep it for
as long as it takes to get some more 1000's in" :-). More likely they would
just suffer in silence and buy one of the others, or even go to a competitor's
machine.

John

In article <3616@garfield.UUCP> john13@garfield.UUCP writes:
>In article <1739@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, grr@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>>
>> 	Iff there is a continued demand for the A1000 style machine, then
>> 	revising the main board to use the A500 chipset would be a reasonable
>> 	idea, but it's not going to happen unless people vote with their
>> 	wallets...
>
>This may seem like a silly question, but if all A1000's get sold and there
>are only 2000's and 500's in the stores, it would be a little tough for
>people to vote with their wallets ("Well, here's some money, you keep it for
>as long as it takes to get some more 1000's in" :-). More likely they would
>just suffer in silence and buy one of the others, or even go to a competitor's
>machine.

	The metric would be continued retail sales of the A1000, at
	profitable price levels once the the new machines are out and
	feedback from dealers indicating that customers are asking for
	the A1000.

	This is of course only my own personal opinion and not any
	representation of an official Commodore position.

P.S.  Suffering in silence doesn't seem to be a frequent modality in the
      computer biz these days...

hutch@sdcsvax.UUCP (05/01/87)

In article <3616@garfield.UUCP> john13@garfield.UUCP writes:
<a reply to the wallet voting for the A500 motherboard as an A1000 upgrade>
<This may seem like a silly question, but if all A1000's get sold and there
<are only 2000's and 500's in the stores, it would be a little tough for
<people to vote with their wallets ("Well, here's some money, you keep it for
<as long as it takes to get some more 1000's in" :-). More likely they would
<just suffer in silence and buy one of the others, or even go to a competitor's
<machine.

Suffer?  With A2000/500 expansion boards being zorro, and continued system
support, what are you suffering over?  Seriously, I am missing the point.
Fat Agnus, a tempting lady, can she be added as a roll-your-own flying
upgrade?  Does she suck power in some extraordinary way?  Would I need to
fly some ground wires from the edge of the board?

Here I sit posting news while a ray tracer is generating an image under a
spare shell.  What competitor were you talking about?  No holy wars please,
honest appraisals only, please.  I don't see a 256 element lookup table in
low res as a big win, so no PC2.  I can't afford a Sun-2 or 3, so none of
those either.  The new Apple?  The Next (when it appears)?  I could get an
A2000 instead, and such a juicy morsel that is.

--
    Jim Hutchison   		UUCP:	{dcdwest,ucbvax}!sdcsvax!hutch
		    		ARPA:	Hutch@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu