[comp.sys.amiga] Would like information about "Insider" memory expansion.

grwalter@watmath.UUCP (04/11/87)

In article <1524@zeus.TEK.COM> erikj@tekla.tek.com.tek.com (Erik Johannes) writes:
>I am wondering if anybody has any information about the Insider One Meg
>Memory expansion board with built in clock.  It plugs into the 68000 socket and
>the 68000 plugs into it.

I don't have the insider myself, but a friend does. He is happy with it,
and in the two weeks that he's had it he hasn't had any problems.

It will auto config under 1.2, and comes with an ADDMEM program so it
can be used under 1.1. It is fast RAM, and you can select (via dip
switches) where it should go. It comes with a real time clock.

	fred

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (04/20/87)

grwalter@watmath.UUCP (Fred Walter) wrote in article <6838@watmath.UUCP>:
>will auto config under 1.2 [...] and you can select (via dip switches)
>where it should go.

The whole point of autoconfig is that you don't need DIP switches.

Does the Insider really autoconfig?  If so, what are the switches for?

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.   page@ulowell.{uucp,edu,csnet}

grwalter@orchid.UUCP (04/21/87)

In article <1203@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>The whole point of autoconfig is that you don't need DIP switches.

i went back to my friend, and he says that the dip switches are there so
that if you get a memory board that plugs in the side that expects to be
in a certain location, you can 'move' the insider ram to another
non-conflicting location using the dip switches.

i didn't know that autoconfig meant that the memory board was supposed to
dectect another board at the same memory location and relocate itself if
necesssary to avoid conflicts. i thought autoconfig meant that the memory
board would tell the amiga at boot up time how much ram is on the board,
and where it is found.

i haven't read the manual for the insider, i have just asked some questions
of the guy who owns it. if having dip switches means that the board doesn't
autoconfig, then both he and i don't know what is meant by autoconfig.

	fred

bryce@COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (04/22/87)

In article <6838@watmath.UUCP> grwalter@watmath.UUCP (Fred Walter) writes:
>In article <1524@zeus.TEK.COM> erikj@tekla.tek.com.tek.com (Erik Johannes) writes:
>>I am wondering if anybody has any information about the Insider One Meg
>>Memory expansion board with built in clock. It plugs into the 68000 socket and
>>the 68000 plugs into it.
>
>I don't have the insider myself, but a friend does. He is happy with it,
>and in the two weeks that he's had it he hasn't had any problems.

The insider does not have buffers on the data bus, it just runs the lines out
to the chips.  Out of three Amigas tested two worked with the insider
installed, the other would crash.  MORE significantly NONE of the three Amigas
would work with the insider AND another expansion product on the side.
A different inside memory board worked properly in all three cases.
     "Not recomended"

eric@hector.UUCP (04/23/87)

The Insider does *not* autoconfig and most products that sit inside the Amiga do not.
The boards reside in the $c00000 address space which is tested in a special way
when the Amiga powers up. All the Kickstart does is test memory starting at $c00000
every 64K or so by writing incrementally to those locations - if it gets a bus error
it knows that there's no ram there, otherwise it adds it to the memory free pool.

I really resent those manafacturers who claim their product "auto-configs" when they
reside in this location - they didn't do all the hard work and debugging like those
who spent the time to get their products to really auto-config. Take a look at the
Insider - not autoconfig PALs on there...

Eric

ARPA:	Lavitsky@RED.RUTGERS.EDU
UUCP:	...{wherever!}ulysses!eric
	...{wherever!}caip!topaz!eric
SNAIL:	34 Maplehurst La., Piscataway, NJ 08854

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (04/24/87)

grwalter@orchid.UUCP (Fred Walter) wrote in article <7104@orchid.UUCP>:
>if having dip switches means that the board doesn't
>autoconfig, then both he and i don't know what is meant by autoconfig.

If you have an INSIDER and an PAL (for example), the PAL already has
1MB starting at "ranger" memory, 0xC00000.  The Amiga sees it on boot,
as Eric has described.  You HAVE to play with DIP switches to get the
INSIDER someplace else.

The INSIDER does NOT NOT NOT autoconfig.  To do autoconfig, you have
to initially have the board on 0xE80000, and have a PAL that will latch
at a different address - wherever the _Amiga_ tells it to locate to.
The INSIDER does not do this ... the Amiga has _no_control_ over
where the board gets placed.

Note I am not saying the INSIDER is a bad product in any way.
I am simply saying it does NOT autoconfig, and the statement in the
ad that says the board supports the autoconfig spec is a lie.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.   page@ulowell.{uucp,edu,csnet}

jmpiazza@sunybcs.UUCP (Joseph M. Piazza) (04/25/87)

In article <1524@zeus.TEK.COM> you write:
>I am wondering if anybody has any information about the Insider One Meg
>Memory expansion board with built in clock.  It plugs into the 68000 socket and
>the 68000 plugs into it.
>...  The ad for the product says the following:
>o	ADDMEM program included

     Yes, but only needed for AmigaDOS 1.1.  1.2  auto  configs
(or is it autorecog?).

>o	Exhaustive Memory test included

	Unfortunately it only runs under 1.1.  This is the only feature I
was disappointed with.

	Everything else I take their word for it. I leave testing to
hardware technoids.

>List price :	$349.95

	I got mine from a local shop for $299(!) plus sales tax (NY 8%) which
made it $323.

>I am curious about what kind of experiences people have had with this product
>and Michigan Software.  The price and features seem very good.

     The price assumes you install it yourself.  It is fairly simple.  If  *I*
can do it, most others should too.

     The instructions are clear and easy to  follow,  though  not  exhaustive.
They  labeled  crucial  steps  with  WARNINGs and NOTEs, and pointed out other
steps that required patience.

     There's three major steps:

     1.  Disassembling your Amiga.  Lots of  screws.   The  instructions  also
list  how many screws for each step (nice).  You need to remove the top cover;
the RF shield (accounts for most of the screws); and the floppy drive (to  get
clear access to the 68000).

     My worst problem was getting a tool behind the 68000 to pry it out of its
socket  since  it was blocked by the rear of the case (front end is clear once
you remove the drive).

     tend to get "bow legged" so you must bend each row against  a  hard  flat
surface.   Now put it in its new socket on the Insider board.  You then insert
an extender socket in the original 68000 socket (so  the  Insider  board  will
clear cables etc. on the mother board).

    3.  Make three connections with clips -- one connects  under  the  Amiga's
daughter board (256K RAM).  This is a bit tricky; you have to clip to the  4th
pin down.  Dangerous only to you patience   The  next  connects  to  a  easily
accessible thingie  (ferrite bead).  The last makes an extra ground connection
to from a screw on the motherboard to a capacitor on the daughter board.

     There is a section in the instructions for dealers and those who  really
know  what  they're  doing  which I didn't read untill after I made the
installation so I wouldn't get any bright ideas, (ok, maybe  I  peeked),  that
deals  with  soldering  the  connections  and  making  a  tool  out of a cheap
screwdriver to remove the 68000 with out removing the floppy (recommended  for
dealers who would make many installations).

     4.  Test the sucker.  If there's a problem it's probably just a loose con-
nection  and  now's the time find it.  On my first try it didn't work.  I went
over all the connections and tried again.  It worked!

     So, now you put the whole mess back together.  There seemed to  be  fewer
parts and they somehow seemed to fit better when putting it together.

     Great!  1.5 Meg!  For four days ... then it wouldn't get past  the  green
screen  during  Kiskstart.  "OK," I says, "I'll check them there connections."
So I opened the sucker up and fiddled with all  connections.   No  dice.   In
fact, it didn't even flash its on/off light when powering up.  "Probably fried
something," said the guy at the shop after a few fiddles yielded nothing.   So
he then he put it back to its original configuration.  It worked!  Now he rein-
stalled the board and all the connections (this time with the  daughter  board
off  making it much easier).  It worked!  It seems that I didn't quite put the
board securely in the 68000 socket and let the cables lying  under  the  board
to put it a a slight angle.  It's been fine for the past two weeks.

     MORAL:  make sure there's a hardware guru can crawl to when you f*ck  up.
For  me,  buying it from my shop was essential since they would be the ones I'd
fall back to.  No charge.  Thanks Paul.

     SUMMARY:  the price, full speed, and autoconfig/recog, hardware  support,
and  the  clock (hallelujah!) makes the Insider real nice pick-me-up.  Now, if
only it can only meet Perry's  standards :-)

Flip side,

	joe piazza

--- Cogito ergo equus sum.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
(716) 636-3191, 3180

UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!jmpiazza
CS: jmpiazza@buffalo-cs
BI: jmpiazza@sunybcs
GE: jmpiazza

In article <1203@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>grwalter@watmath.UUCP (Fred Walter) wrote in article <6838@watmath.UUCP>:
>>will auto config under 1.2 [...] and you can select (via dip switches)
>>where it should go.
>
>The whole point of autoconfig is that you don't need DIP switches.
>
>Does the Insider really autoconfig?  If so, what are the switches for?

	The board takes advantage of the automatic memory recognition/
	configuration at C00000 to D80000 that was implemented in the
	Kickstart 1.2 release.

	I would guess they put the switches there to allow some other options
	or use in conjunction with some other product that uses the C0
	address range.  Of course you could buy two and stack them, *BUT*
	since they are not buffered this would make many an Amiga *very*
	flakey...

In article <2439@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> eric@hector (Eric Lavitsky) writes:

> I really resent those manafacturers who claim their product "auto-configs"
> when they reside in this location - they didn't do all the hard work and
> debugging like those who spent the time to get their products to really
> auto-config. Take a look at the Insider - not autoconfig PALs on there...

It is equally tiresome to hear certain nameless vendors refer to their
products as "zorro compatible" when only their top-of-the line expansion
product is really complient.

The ideal A1000 *internal* expansion device would replace the current kickstart
tower with the 1.2 Kickstart ROM, 1 MB of RAM and an A500/A2000 compatible
real-time clock.  Given a careful design, this would add *no* additional
power.  Commodore has already licensed the ROM contents and would probably
be willing to sell the actuall A500 ROM chips, either as service parts or in
volume...   Anybody interested in doing it "right"?

In article <3141@sunybcs.UUCP> jmpiazza@gort.UUCP (Joseph M. Piazza) writes:

>                                                               You then insert
>an extender socket in the original 68000 socket (so  the  Insider  board  will
>clear cables etc. on the mother board).

Friendly hint from the "land of towers":

	Plugging adapters/extension sockets into cheap IC sockets tends to
permanantly distort the contacts.  Be very careful to plug in your thingie
once, firmly.  If you have to plug and unplug it several (one?) time, you
may have difficulty getting the orignal 68000 chip to make reliable contact
on all 64 pins.

	Replacing 64-pin sockets is not much fun, even with a lab type power
solder sucker...

JIM_S_GROENKE@cup.portal.com (05/04/87)

I have to disagree concerning the article posted stating that the Insider
would not accept an additional memory expansion device on the side of the
Amiga. I own both and Insider and the Microbotics Starboard2 and BOTH co-
exist in perfect Harmony.
I know of SEVERAL other individuals who own the Insider, and they too are
satisfied with the prodct.

-=VERY Recommended=-