[comp.sys.amiga] Question on printer pref. specs:

What print pitches do the following mean?  I assume ELITE is 10, FINE
is compressed mode.  Is PICA 12?  (Thanks to help from C-A, I've got
my printer driver working and am now figuring out the fine points).

PICA
ELITE
FINE

Also, (and this is very important!!).  How big is the buffer supplied to
DoSpecial()??? ..  My tab initialization takes about 140 bytes.

			Thanks,

			-Matt

andy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (04/27/87)

In article <8704242353.AA07610@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
(question about compressed mode and super/subs)
if you've got it, use it.
)
>What print pitches do the following mean?
ELITE is 10, PICA is 12, and FINE is about 16.
>Also, (and this is very important!!).  How big is the buffer supplied to
>DoSpecial()??? ..  My tab initialization takes about 140 bytes.
the buffer is 256 bytes long.
>			-Matt
		andy

--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore/Amiga		 /or/ pyramid!amiga!andy }

"Do not meddle with the affairs of wizards, for it makes them soggy and hard
to light."

dpz@paul.RUTGERS.EDU (David P. Zimmerman) (04/27/87)

> From: andy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Andy Finkel)

> ELITE is 10, PICA is 12, and FINE is about 16.

Whoops, what?  The standard Elite and Pica that I know of are 12 and
10 pitch respectively, not the other way around.

						dpz
--
David P. Zimmerman           rutgers!dpz           dpzis prled itte

stever@videovax.UUCP (04/28/87)

In article <8704242353.AA07610@cory.Berkeley.EDU>, Matt Dillon
(dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU) writes:

> What print pitches do the following mean?  I assume ELITE is 10, FINE
> is compressed mode.  Is PICA 12?  (Thanks to help from C-A, I've got
> my printer driver working and am now figuring out the fine points).

PICA is 10 per inch and ELITE is 12 per inch.  FINE depends on your printer.

					Steve Rice

new: stever@videovax.tv.Tek.com
old: {decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver | cae780}!tektronix!videovax!stever

upl@puff.WISC.EDU (Future Unix Gurus) (04/29/87)

In article <450@john.paul.RUTGERS.EDU> dpz@paul.RUTGERS.EDU (David P. Zimmerman) writes:
>> From: andy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Andy Finkel)
>
>> ELITE is 10, PICA is 12, and FINE is about 16.
>
>Whoops, what?  The standard Elite and Pica that I know of are 12 and
>10 pitch respectively, not the other way around.

Actually, you're both right. If I recall my Jr Highschool printing,
12 characters/inch = 10 pt type and 10 char/inch = 12 pt type.

I've seen pitch used in manuals to mean either. I assume pitch does have
a real definition, but most writers of word processor docs don't seem to
know it. (And nethier do I. Would someone like to adress this? Please give
a reference if you do.)

Just another of Murphy's little oddities!

Jeff Kesselman
captain@uhura.cs.wisc.edu
or
upl@puff.cs.wisc.edu

[Lines added to make RN happy!]
.
.
.
.

andy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (04/29/87)

PICA is 10/inch and ELITE is 12/inch.
(fingers got ahead of brain again...)
		andy
--

johnth@batcomputer.UUCP (04/30/87)

In article <724@puff.WISC.EDU> upl@puff.WISC.EDU (Future Unix Gurus) writes:
>In article <450@john.paul.RUTGERS.EDU> dpz@paul.RUTGERS.EDU (David P. Zimmerman) writes:
>                  ....       If I recall my Jr Highschool printing,
>12 characters/inch = 10 pt type and 10 char/inch = 12 pt type.
>
>I've seen pitch used in manuals to mean either.
>
>Jeff Kesselman
>captain@uhura.cs.wisc.edu

  Your close, both point (pt) and pica (pc) are a unit of size.
 1 inch = 72.27 pt
 1 pc   = 12 pt

  It is common to refer to text fonts by there height in points hence
10pt roman, etc.  Pitch is usually used to refer to the number of character
per inch.  While this is related to the height of a letter it is not a
fixed relationship.  A flexible type setting program will let you print
12pt roman type at 5 char/inch, 6char/inch, ..., 11.5char/inch, ...etc.
Many of these will look terrible but that is your choice.  The situation
is of course much more complicated when you use proportional fonts where
each character will have its own natural width.

  Jeff wanted references so I'll suggest. 1)The TEXbook, Donald Knuth
2) LN03 Users Manual, DEC.  I also assume that any good word processor
which works with many different kinds of fonts would discuss this.

John Thurtell
johnth@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
p8tj@cornelld.bitnet

stever@videovax.UUCP (05/05/87)

In article <1769@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, Andy Finkel (andy@cbmvax.UUCP)
writes:

> ELITE is 10, PICA is 12, and FINE is about 16.

Andy already caught the first two (PICA is 10 characters per inch and
ELITE is 12).  But beware of the definition of FINE!  On my JX-80,
compressed print is 17.16 characters per inch. . .