[comp.sys.amiga] Workbench improvements

hsgj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Dan Green) (12/17/86)

.>                       The "big file of icons" seems like a big win to
.>me if one assumes that it is cached.  Then closing and opening drawers
.>that have once been opened becomes instantaneous.  (Or nearly; you may
.>have to check time of last dir modification.) Amiga needs to support
.>more caching-type ideas.  Memory is cheap and getting cheaper.  I've
.>seen Workbench windows where the whole drawer was in ram:, and those
.>things are FAST (if you can afford that much ram).  But if it's just
.>the icons in ram, you don't use much memory and still get great
.>response on opening the drawers.
.>
.>	Charles Poirier  (USENET)!vax135!cjp

I don't know about the icon cache idea.  On the amiga, where you can
pop out the disk at any time, all caches had better well be write thru.
And for icons, generally the user is going to be doing one of two
things:  (1) just wants to see the icons long enough to boot ye olde
WordProDeluxeWithTurboSpeedMegaPower, or (2) the user wants to play
around rearranging the display of the icons on the screen.  For case
(1), the cache doesn't pay because all the icons are only referenced
once.  For case (2), you are constantly moving (eg writing data) the
icons, so the "cache" will always be writing thru to disk.
   My "vote" so far is for having one file of icons for each folder.
The huge pain with this method, though, is that it is now very difficult
to create an icon for a new program or file (ie you can't just dup an
existing .info file).  Of course, the speed benefit is nice.
   I think the "ideal" situation would be for the linker to reserve
512 bytes or so as the header for each program, (and fopen'ing a new
file could pad the top with the header also) and then store the .info
in this area.  Of course TYPE would have to be smart enough to skip
the header, which is trivial.  The "small" problem with this is that one
would have to rewrite everything.  I guess its not worth it :-)
   My FINAL EXAM opinion is that I would rather have C/Amiga concentrate
its resources more on bettering Intuition and on making neater hardware,
then on worrying about the silly WorkBench...
-- Dan Green
--
ARPA:  hsgj%vax2.ccs.cornell.edu@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu
UUCP:  ihnp4!cornell!batcomputer!hsgj   BITNET:  hsgj@cornella

ali@navajo.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) (12/18/86)

> ... Amiga needs to support more caching-type ideas...
>	Charles Poirier  (USENET)!vax135!cjp

Actually, I am impressed with how much the Amiga supports caching type
ideas already. For example, I am working on a program which calls
OpenDiskFont() to open a font I designed. For now I have this font sitting
in a directory other than sys:fonts, so I have to

assign fonts: df1:tmp

before I use my program or else OpenDiskFont() fails. Well, then my
program runs, and uses the font, and at the end, does a CloseFont()
to get rid of the font. Now, if you reassign fonts: back to the original
directory

assign fonts: df0:fonts

and then run my program again, voila, it still finds the font from the
other directory, without any disk searches. I guess this is also the way
libraries and stuff work: Even if the reference count is zero, it is
kept in memory in anticipation that someone will need it. Am I right?
And I also assume this means that if someone else needs that memory in
which the font (or the library) is cached, AmigaDos gives it up. Or else
I hope it does.

One idea to make life under WorkBench easier is to organize the disks
better, of course... Try to put no more than 5-7 files per directory,
and make sure you don't have zillions of files without icons, and
life will be nice and quick (relatively). For example I love the way
Fred Fish organized the IFF pictures in the latest batch of Fish
Disks (one of 41..46, I forget which one). You go through several layers
of drawers to get to the pictures, but at every level windows pop open
and show their icons pretty quickly.

[Forgive me if this was already so obvious that people did this all the time
 and on top of this thought that the WorkBench is slow; I come from
 a Tops-20 background where subdirectories and hierarchical file systems
 are not used as often as they should be.]

Ali Ozer, ali@navajo.stanford.edu

cjp@vax135.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (12/19/86)

In article <1846@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> hsgj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Dan Green) writes:
>.>                       The "big file of icons" seems like a big win to
>.>me if one assumes that it is cached.  Then closing and opening drawers
>.>that have once been opened becomes instantaneous.
>.>
>.>	Charles Poirier  (USENET)!vax135!cjp
>
>I don't know about the icon cache idea.  On the amiga, where you can
>pop out the disk at any time, all caches had better well be write thru.

Yes, certainly.

>And for icons, generally the user is going to be doing one of two
>things:  (1) just wants to see the icons long enough to boot ye olde
>WordProDeluxeWithTurboSpeedMegaPower, or (2) the user wants to play
>around rearranging the display of the icons on the screen.

Yeah, no benefit for these two cases.  (1) is most common, (2) i think
is pretty uncommon.  But just suppose one has a single icons file per
DISK.  Then one can do "browsing" type things on Workbench,
painlessly.  Open drawer, look around, say 'oops', close, open
different drawer.  All for ONE icon file read per disk.

>   My "vote" so far is for having one file of icons for each folder.
>The huge pain with this method, though, is that it is now very difficult
>to create an icon for a new program or file (ie you can't just dup an
>existing .info file).  Of course, the speed benefit is nice.

No pain.  Invoke a tool, "copy icon", then click on the pic you want.

>   My FINAL EXAM opinion is that I would rather have C/Amiga concentrate
>its resources more on bettering Intuition and on making neater hardware,
>then on worrying about the silly WorkBench...
>-- Dan Green

Workbench AT PRESENT is silly because the time wasted in looking up
icons makes it SLOWER than using CLI.  Mind, I prefer CLI anyway, but
the world has both kinds of people.  Why not have both interfaces the
best they can be?  Besides, the d**n redundant icon files get in my way
when I am using CLI -- if there was a single file of icons, you not
only would be free of the .icon clutter, but you could use it directly
for dir listings.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  Of course there could be
compatibility problems, but maybe a few conversion utilities would
suffice -- say, for converting old-style icon disks to single-icon-file
disks.  And for old programs that insist on writing their own icon
files, maybe a background task (or file system patch) that intercepts
.icon files.  I've not considered everything, but it's worth thinking
about.

	Cheers,

In article <1228@navajo.STANFORD.EDU> ali@navajo.UUCP (Ali Ozer) writes:
>> ... Amiga needs to support more caching-type ideas...
>>	Charles Poirier  (USENET)!vax135!cjp
>
>Actually, I am impressed with how much the Amiga supports caching type
>ideas already.

Yes.  What I meant is, it demonstrably works well, so let's have more of it.

	Charles Poirier   (USENET)!vax135!cjp

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (12/19/86)

Hi,

Yes, indeed, the fonts and libraries will hang around in memory and
intuition knows that they are there.  If you do a CloseFont() or a
CloseLibrary(), the font or library remains around until something
else big enough comes around that wants the memory; at that point
the font or library becomes history.

You may want to watch out about reassigning fonts: back to df0:, as
you can't count on the font sticking around, eventhough intuition
is able to find it in memory some/most of the time.  Depending on
how you handle things you could generate a guru.

  --Bill

Bill Mayhew
Division of Basic Medical Sciences
Northeastern Ohio Universities' College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272  USA     phone:  216-325-2511
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP    ...!cbatt!neoucom.wtm)

In article <1846@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> hsgj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Dan Green) writes:
>   My "vote" so far is for having one file of icons for each folder.
>The huge pain with this method, though, is that it is now very difficult
>to create an icon for a new program or file (ie you can't just dup an
>existing .info file).  Of course, the speed benefit is nice.
>   My FINAL EXAM opinion is that I would rather have C/Amiga concentrate
>its resources more on bettering Intuition and on making neater hardware,
>then on worrying about the silly WorkBench...
>-- Dan Green

I STILL think that optimizing the directory/file structure for speed
better would benifit not only the WorkBench but also CLI commands.
Using the original 'DIR' command to me is even more painful than opening
up a window on the workbench.  At least the window shows you something
as it's working on it.  'DIR' is intent on sorting the directory and has
to read it all, sort, and THEN finally display something.  'DIR' is SO
painful, that I absolutely refuse to use it ( the output format is kinda
quirky too).  I've been using a version of 'ld' renamed as 'DIR', that
displays as it reads.  One could always add a OPT SORTED or something
(or from where I'm from, '-s') and have it work the long way in the event I
really care if it is sorted or not.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa

In article <1228@navajo.STANFORD.EDU> ali@navajo.UUCP (Ali Ozer) writes:
>One idea to make life under WorkBench easier is to organize the disks
>better, of course... Try to put no more than 5-7 files per directory,
>and make sure you don't have zillions of files without icons, and
>life will be nice and quick (relatively). For example I love the way
>Fred Fish organized the IFF pictures in the latest batch of Fish
>Disks (one of 41..46, I forget which one). You go through several layers
>of drawers to get to the pictures, but at every level windows pop open
>and show their icons pretty quickly.

That's the ticket!  Let's put each file in it's own subdirectory that is
only shared with the subdirectory for the next file i.e.

file1 dir1
       |__file2 dir2
                 |__file3 dir3
                           |__file4 dir4
                                     |__file5 dir5
                                               |_file6 dir6
etc.

Keith

ralph@mit-atrp.UUCP (04/17/87)

Mitsu's recent message mentions a number of good improvements to the
workbench which will make the Amiga environment for non-hackers a better
one. This is exactly what we need Commodore to realize: that a smooth
and fast workbench will make those Amiga 500's sell (as well as the great
price). I have to continue hoping that the speed of drawer opening will
also improve as well. I think I'll direct the following questions at CBM
directly:

Dear CBM folks:
  - Are these kind of improvements to the workbench being considered ?
  - If they are, when will we see them ?
  - If they are not being considered, why not ?
  - If you have no plans to do them, will you help us do them
    by giving us more information on how it is done ?

Sorry to single you folks out, but I, and others, feel that the future
of the Amiga very dependent on such improvements ! And we want the
Amiga line to go as far as it can. This means that "everyone" that trys
out an Amiga *has* to feel like it was easy,fast and exciting. This requires
ease of use and MINIMUM delays in operation.

  Thanks for listening,
                Ralph

dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (04/17/87)

	This is only the third time I've made this comment... stick all the
icons in a single file (say, .icons) per directory, and all will be fine
as far is workbench is concerned.  There are two reasons why I don't use
the workbench:

	(1) Way too slow due to having to search the directory
	(2) .icon files make the directories too messy.

					-Matt

jmpiazza@sunybcs.UUCP (04/18/87)

In article <8704172157.AA15623@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>	This is only the third time I've made this comment... stick all the
>icons in a single file (say, .icons) per directory, and all will be fine
>as far is workbench is concerned.  There are two reasons why I don't use
>the workbench:
>
>	(1) Way too slow due to having to search the directory

	Hear hear (here here?)

>	(2) .icon files make the directories too messy.

	Huh?

	After following previous discussions I wonder how many people
realize that the Mac collects icons and other info from each file and puts
in a directory file called "Desktop."  I also wonder if other people realize
that the Mac isn't nearly as slow as the Amiga for directory listings.

	The workbench without a directory file (or what ever you want to
call it) will always be too slow for many people (including me).  We have
880K per disk; a directory file should never take up more than half of the
odd 80K.

	I hope that burning AmigaDOS 1.2 into Amiga 2000/500 ROMS doesn't
stick us without a directory file as long as the time I waited for 1.2
to be be released and to receive my Aztec 3.4a update.  :-)

	Tally ho, I'm in.

Flip side,

	joe piazza

--- Cogito ergo equus sum.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
(716) 636-3191, 3180

UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!jmpiazza
CS: jmpiazza@buffalo-cs
BI: jmpiazza@sunybcs
GE: jmpiazza

farren@hoptoad.UUCP (04/19/87)

I would like to make this suggestion: after enough data has been
gathered to allow decent decision making (probably now, actually), go
to work on the next generation of Amiga system software: EXEC,
Workbench, Intuition, and AmigaDOS.  Incorporate the necessary changes
to make all of these work as efficiently, and well, as possible.  Make
compatibility with the originals a second-level consideration with one
exception: allow for easy conversion of "old" applications and files
to be usable in the new software environment.  An example:  change the
workbench such that all icons are resident in a single file, for easy
display.  Then, provide a conversion utility that will take an older
disk, collect all of the .info files in a directory, and convert them
into the newer icon structure.  Other examples are left as an
exercise.

Once all this is done, release the new systems software and the
appropriate conversion utilities, and let the normal evolutionary
process take place.  Newer applications will start out by using the
newer resources.  Older applications can either be converted over to
the newer setup or, if necessary, can be run using old system
software.  This all makes it very inconvenient for some users for a
while, but if the newer software is clearly better, you will find
almost 100% use of the newer stuff within a year or, at the most, two.
At that point, offer replacement ROMs for all of the Amiga 500s and
2000s out there.  Result: better software for everybody, minimal
disturbance to the users.

There is precedent here.  When Apple released their AppleDOS 3.3, it
included a set of ROMs for the disk controller that made it instantly
incompatible with the older disk format.  They also released MUFFIN, a
utility to convert older disks to the newer format.  This was a pain,
but nobody seriously objected: the new format offered higher disk
speed along with greater disk capacity.  It only took a little over a
year before you couldn't find anyone offering software in the older
format; everyone had converted, and even the most recalcitrant users
were switched over.  And, it didn't seem to hurt Apple a whole lot;
their sales kept increasing all along.

Incompatibility isn't that big a problem, as long as you provide a
means of continuing to use the existing resources during the
transition period.

--
----------------
                 "... if the church put in half the time on covetousness

ccplumb@watmath.UUCP (04/19/87)

farren@hoptoad.UUCP (Mike Farren) says (in <2007@hoptoad.uucp>):
>I would like to make this suggestion: after enough data has been
>gathered to allow decent decision making (probably now, actually), go
>to work on the next generation of Amiga system software: EXEC,
>Workbench, Intuition, and AmigaDOS.  Incorporate the necessary changes
>to make all of these work as efficiently, and well, as possible.  Make
>compatibility with the originals a second-level consideration with one
>exception: allow for easy conversion of "old" applications and files
>to be usable in the new software environment.

Yes, indeed!  I, for one, would put up with vast amounts of trouble
for better systems software.  The Amiga's release was rushed.  PLEASE
don't insist on using any already present kludges just because they
were there at the start.  I'd switch to a highly *incompatible* OS if
it were clearly superior.

As Mike said, everyone will go squirrley for a while making the
changeover, but if you do it *right*, and the new system is clearly
superior to the old, I don't think there'd be much opposition.
Large changes have been made by Apple (3.3 and ProDOS) and IBM
(remember FCB's and flat directories?) without losing people.
If C-A follows it's laudable tradition of releasing beta-test
versions of the OS, all the developers can easily be ready for
the big change by the time it's officially released.

I've said it before, but the success of the Amiga is due to its
technical quality.  But technological leadership doesn't last too
long.  Keep working on improving it, not in minor ways, but in major
ways.  It's an exciting machine.  *Please* keep it that way.
--
	-Colin Plumb (watmath!ccplumb)

Silly quote:
She has eyes like two holes in a burnt blanket.

acs@amdahl.UUCP (Tony Sumrall) (04/21/87)

In article <3050@sunybcs.UUCP> jmpiazza@gort.UUCP (Joseph M. Piazza) writes:
>	After following previous discussions I wonder how many people
>realize that the Mac collects icons and other info from each file and puts
>in a directory file called "Desktop."  I also wonder if other people realize
>that the Mac isn't nearly as slow as the Amiga for directory listings.

Did we discuss this approach when the discussion about .info files began
(way back when)?  I *like* the idea of a directory whose structure
parallels the root and contains nothing but .info files (e.g. if
"df0:junk/junk pgm" has an icon it's in "df0:Icons/junk/junk pgm.info"):
  *  If you're using WB it only searches the Icon directory to display the
     icon.
  *  If you're *not* using WB it only searches the specified dir.
I realize that this will require at least *2* accesses in order to run the
program from WB but I must tell you that I'd prefer that to the horrendous
errors that can occur upon the system attempting (unsuccessfully) to
compress a .info file after the user has run a program that:
  1) Deletes filex
  2) Creates filex
  3) Creates an icon file for filex
while simultaneously doing the same thing from another program.  Get 1/2
dozen of these things going and I think my poor li'l drive would gronk
itself right out of existence! :-)  Further, since all requests will have
to operate on the same file requests must operate on the same file, they'd
have to be single-threaded.  A delete req would have to:
  1)  Read the whole info file in
  2)  Munge out the deleted icon (i.e. delete and compress)
  3)  Write out the whole file
all while the info file is locked.  A create request would be fairly
simple since all it'd have to do is append the info file.

I can just picture some poor li'l WB-only person wondering why the drive
is shaking the computer desk to bits after a few days of "just changing
my MaxiPlan worksheet a little bit".

I've probably gone on far too long but, like I said earlier, how about a
parallel structure for the icon files only?

--
Tony Sumrall acs@amdahl.amdahl.com <=> ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,seismo}!amdahl!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

mcinerny@rochester.ARPA (Michael McInerny) (04/21/87)

[]
One of the two principles of Operating Systems (I'll leave the other to
you) is "Cache It".  One easy way to solve the Icon speed problem is to
chache the .info files.  Ideally, this would be in RAM, but we all know
that RAM is volatile &c., so, what the WorkBench could do is build a
.Desktop-ish file of ALL the information (maybe just the bitmaps for the
icons?) it needs on a, say, directory by directory basis.  This would
allow the WB to render the icons with only one seek (which is where most
of disk time is spent).  Further, a single file is much more likely to
be cached in a disk buffer than multiple .info files.

But what about the current .info files?  Keep 'em.  The .Desktop file
is a _cache_ for the .info files--it needs to be treated as such.  That is,
whenever the .info files change (which can be detected through
timestamps or other means), the .Desktop will need to be updated, or at worse,
rebuilt (a la Macintosh).

This "caching" principle can be (and I believe, has been) use(d) for
"normal" CLI directories and lists--again, whenever the directory is
scanned, cache the results in a .directory file.  When a second dir is
requested, if the timestamp on the .dir file is later than the
timestamp of the directory itself, use the .dir file, o.w. rebuild it.

Of course, it would be nice if disk accesses themselves were optimized....

-Michael McInerny

andy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (04/21/87)

In article <973@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> ralph@ATRP.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Amiga-Man) writes:
>Dear CBM folks:
>  - Are these kind of improvements to the workbench being considered ?
Yes, they are.  We are actively looking at improvements in the system
software, including Workbench.
>  - If they are, when will we see them ?
Good question.  I'd prefer not to have a new OS release for about
a year.  Too many releases too quickly tends to annoy software
developers (who are critical to a machines success).
>  - If they are not being considered, why not ?
>  - If you have no plans to do them, will you help us do them
>    by giving us more information on how it is done ?
The manuals are a great place to start.  In particular,
RomTags, which allow the replacement of an entire module,
and SetFunction, which allow you to replace a function within
a library/device are key.  When I get a little free time I'll
write and post a RomTag (in ram) example.
(BTW, even though Workbench is in rom (kickstart) the LoadWB
command is on the Workbench disk.  Think about it.)

>Sorry to single you folks out, but I, and others, feel that the future
>of the Amiga very dependent on such improvements !
we (the technical people here at C/A) agree.  And we are listening/saving
messages.  (its counter-productive for us to actually get involved in
the debates themselves)
>  Thanks for listening,
>                Ralph
		you're welcome
		andy
--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore/Amiga		 /or/ pyramid!amiga!andy }

"Do not meddle with the affairs of wizards, for it makes them soggy and hard
to light."

beilke@puff.WISC.EDU (Matthew Beilke) (04/23/87)

In article <27184@rochester.ARPA>, mcinerny@rochester.ARPA (Michael McInerny) writes:
> One of the two principles of Operating Systems (I'll leave the other to
> you) is "Cache It".  One easy way to solve the Icon speed problem is to
> chache the .info files.  Ideally, this would be in RAM, but we all know
> that RAM is volatile &c., so, what the WorkBench could do is build a
> .Desktop-ish file of ALL the information (maybe just the bitmaps for the
.
.
.

> But what about the current .info files?  Keep 'em.  The .Desktop file

    Well, I kind of do this already.  Put addbuffers (need V1.2)
in your startup-sequence and as long as you don't do too much disk
swapping, it works nicely.

example startup-sequence:

    bindrivers
    addbuffers df1: 50		; 50 means 50K
    addbuffers df0: 50
    path sys:system add
    .
    .
    .
    loadwb
    endcli > nil:

    As long as you don't need lots of memory, or have a memory expansion,
you should be pleased with the results.

    This is only a temporary solution, I do like your idea, and also
the idea of having all the icons in a single directory <-Note: Not file
Why not a file?  Try doing an alticon/setalternate/mergeicon and you'll see.

             -         -  - ---> Matt Beilke <--- -  -       -
|      //       ARPA: beilke@puff.wisc.edu                                   |
|     //        CSNET: beilke%puff.wisc.edu@csnet-relay                      |
| \\ // AMIGA   UUCP: ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,seismo,topaz,etc.}!uwvax!puff!beilke |
|  \//  RULES!! SNAIL: 451 Witte B, Madison, WI, 53706, USA                  |

spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) (04/24/87)

In article <1701@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:

>we (the technical people here at C/A) agree.  And we are listening/saving
>messages.
>andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
>Commodore/Amiga		 /or/ pyramid!amiga!andy }

This has got to be the most comforting thing I have ever read on the net.

Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)284-4740
                         I N F I N I T Y                 BBS: (415)283-5469
Now working for          |||||||||||::::... . .                    BUD-LINX
But in no way            |||||||||||||||::::.. .. .
Officially representing  ||||||||||||:::::... ..    ....ucbvax!mica!spencer
                         s o f t w a r e          spencer@mica.berkeley.edu

kinner@wsucshp.UUCP (Bill Kinnersley ) (04/24/87)

acs@amdahl.UUCP (Tony Sumrall) writes:
> In article <3050@sunybcs.UUCP> jmpiazza@gort.UUCP (Joseph M. Piazza) writes:
> >	After following previous discussions I wonder how many people
> >realize that the Mac collects icons and other info from each file and puts
> >in a directory file called "Desktop."  I also wonder if other people realize
> >that the Mac isn't nearly as slow as the Amiga for directory listings.
>
> Did we discuss this approach when the discussion about .info files began
> (way back when)?  I *like* the idea of a directory whose structure
> parallels the root and contains nothing but .info files (e.g. if
>
> I've probably gone on far too long but, like I said earlier, how about a
> parallel structure for the icon files only?

Discussions about the icon structure are probably moot, being about two
years too late.

Nevertheless, you have to admit, the present system of having a separate icon
file for each data file is really cumbersome.  Carried to extremes, we could
have parallel structure for .comment files, .date files, etc.

Really, icons  should be system information.  They should be handled privately
by the filing system, not kept out in public to clutter up your directory,
and potentially get lost.

The Right Way To Do It would be to build icons into the filing system.
Dedicate a word in the file header block to point to the disk location of the
corresponding icon.  In fact, there are several spots in the header block
currently not being used.  A nil pointer of course means no icon for that file.

The copy utility would be designed to automatically copy disk blocks for the
icon when it copies the file, but the file size reported would not include
the icon size.

When Workbench opens a drawer, it would examine each file header in the drawer
to see if an icon is present.  (but it does this sort of thing now, looking
for .icon files, since the names are kept in the headers.  At least there
would be fewer files.)

You would need utilities to attach an icon to a file, modify it, etc.

---
--Bill Kinnersley
    USENET: ...!ucbvax!ucdavis!egg-id!ui3!wsucshp!kinner
    INTERNET: kinner%wsu@RELAY.CS.NET
    CSNET: kinner@wsu
    MAIL: CS Dept, Washington State Univ, Pullman WA 99164-1210
    PHONE: (509)332-3340

guilford@rpics.RPI.EDU (Jim Guilford) (04/26/87)

As long as we are talking about workbench improvements, I'll throw in my two
cents (I hope I am not out in left field :-)

I've noticed that it takes a lot longer to write a file than to read it. I
would assume that this happens because of the following.
It seems to me that when one is extending a file that they system must
allocate a new disk block, update the record of what blocks are in use, and
then write the actual data block. Since these are probably widely separated
on the disk, a lot of head seeking needs to be done. Might it not be more
efficient that when one needs a new block for a file, to grab multiple
blocks (if they are available), and then when the file is closed, return any
unused blocks. This would reduce the number of times that the disk
allocation area has to be updated and hence speeds the file expansion.

I haven't actually studied the disk format, so I may be far off. But if my
assumptions are accurate, I think that this would be a relatively painless
way to improve disk speed on file extension.

--Jim Guilford
(guilford@csv.rpi.edu)

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (04/27/87)

beilke@puff.WISC.EDU (Matthew Beilke) wrote in article <693@puff.WISC.EDU>:
>    addbuffers df1: 50		; 50 means 50K

I thought it meant 50 buffers, where a buffer is about 512 bytes.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.   page@ulowell.{uucp,edu,csnet}

dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (04/29/87)

>The Right Way To Do It would be to build icons into the filing system.
>Dedicate a word in the file header block to point to the disk location of the

	NO NO NO NO !! Pleeeeeeese.  Don't be silly.  I personally have no
wish to 'macify' my Amiga.

			-Matt

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) (04/29/87)

In article <160006@wsucshp.UUCP> kinner@wsucshp.UUCP (Bill Kinnersley ) writes:
>The Right Way To Do It would be to build icons into the filing system.
>Dedicate a word in the file header block to point to the disk location of the
>corresponding icon.  In fact, there are several spots in the header block
>currently not being used.  A nil pointer of course means no icon for that file.

Did I just hear someone say "Unix needs file types?" Oops, nope, that's
an old conversation that this brings to mind.

The problem with this is that you need to look at every program, and
decide what it should do with that icon information. A good example is
"compress." What should it do with the icon? If you don't do anything
to compress, the icon will get thrown away. Of course, if you have it
chase the pointer, you're still got to decide what to do with the
icon. Compress it at the end of the file, with marks indicating that
it should be added as an icon? What happens if you uncompress on a
system that doesn't understand them. Attach the icon to the compressed
file? The next time a user treats it in whatever way the old icon got
treated, someone is going to be surprised. Compress the icon into a
different file? Not bad, you just have to remember to move the icon
with the compressed file, and attach it to the uncompressed file at
the other end. Similar problems occur for arc, tar, and (most
notably!) bru.

In other words, while this may be ideal in terms of keeping icons
attached to files, it's really lousy in terms of programs that
manipulate files.

Being a great believer in caching, how about a tweak to the workbench
that caches icons based on file name? It could even keep the "parallel
tree" structure in memory, and build it as drawers get opened. After
all, icons are small. Of course, a wb option to turn this off is
probably a good idea. Better yet, put the cache in icon.library...

	Just 'storming,
	<mike
--
Take a magic carpet to the olden days			Mike Meyer
To a mythical land where everybody lays			ucbvax!mwm

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (04/29/87)

in article <1226@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu>, page@ulowell.UUCP says:

> beilke@puff.WISC.EDU (Matthew Beilke) wrote in article <693@puff.WISC.EDU>:
>>    addbuffers df1: 50		; 50 means 50K
>
> I thought it meant 50 buffers, where a buffer is about 512 bytes.
>
> ..Bob
> --
> Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.   page@ulowell.{uucp,edu,csnet}

  Has anyone done some benchmarking to determine the optimum number of
buffers? The manual suggest something like 30 buffers. What's the best
number if you've got some RAM to burn? (I realize that disk buffers must
come out of Chip mem.)
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland
UUCP Address:   {ihnp4,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

ralph@mit-atrp.UUCP (04/29/87)

In article <8704290425.AA27217@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>>The Right Way To Do It would be to build icons into the filing system.
>>Dedicate a word in the file header block to point to the disk location of the
>
>	NO NO NO NO !! Pleeeeeeese.  Don't be silly.  I personally have no
>wish to 'macify' my Amiga.
>
>			-Matt

But but but but....we have to admit that the drawer opening speed MUST BE
IMPROVED ! I'm not too hot on the idea in the first posting, since the
thing must still muck around in multiple files. Let's get this straight:
(I know I'm right :-) ) the icons must be cached together to get decent
performance. If they're still split up the drawer opening time will still
be dismal. I really am not too concerned with the possibility that doing
the internal combination of icons might make that *part* of the guts of
my Amiga OS look *slightly* mac like. Heck, we both use icons and windows, No ?
Except we have the "advantage" of slow drawer opening.....gosh.... :-).
If there's one improvement that need to be in 1.3, that's the one !

Fear not folks, I'm gonna fix this in about 6 months when I figure it out.
I'll either fix it or write a new workbench....Big project, but big win.
Anybody doing this already (please ?...so I don't have to ?).
I'm committed (or maybe I ought to be)...

In article <160006@wsucshp.UUCP> kinner@wsucshp.UUCP (Bill Kinnersley ) writes:
>acs@amdahl.UUCP (Tony Sumrall) writes:
>Really, icons  should be system information.  They should be handled privately
>by the filing system, not kept out in public to clutter up your directory,
>and potentially get lost.
>
>The Right Way To Do It would be to build icons into the filing system.
>Dedicate a word in the file header block to point to the disk location of the
>corresponding icon.  In fact, there are several spots in the header block
>currently not being used.  A nil pointer of course means no icon for that file.

	Once again, I get to use my favorite contradictory phrase:

	Wrongo!

	Many people fail to realize that the Workbench on the Amiga is *NOT*
part of the operating system.  It is an *APPLICATION* that runs on top of
the operating system.  The fact that it happens to be stored with Kickstart
doesn't change this.

	Workbench opens a borderless backdrop window (using Intuition), and
sticks disk icon gadgets on it.  When you double-click on a gadget (a
function defined by Workbench and nowhere else), Workbench creates a window
and starts filling it with gadgets.  Gadget imgaes are stored in .info files
(you already knew all this, didn't you? :-).

	Since Workbench is an application, it has to use the operating
system as it exists.  Nobody hacks an operating system to pieces just to
accomodate one application.  Awright, maybe they do, but it surely isn't
common.

	The Workbench designer decided to glob-search for .info files.  A
perfectly reasonable approach under normal circumstances.  Unfortunately,
Amiga got stuck with a cheesy DOS that makes globbing the most inefficient
thing you could do.

	I always thought that the simplest and easiest-to-implement hack to
the Workbench would be to create a file called "foo" (call it whatever you
like; the name isn't important).  "foo" would be an ASCII text file that
contains, on each line, the filenames of all the .info files in this
directory.

	Reconstruction of this file would be pathetically simple.  Using
this file would be just as simple.  Just open the file, read the filename,
open the filename, read the icon info, close the filename, and repeat for
all remaining filenames in the file (there would be one filename per line).

	But *PUHLEEZE* don't wack on the filesystem just to make Workbench's
life easier.  You'll make everyone else's life more difficult.

	Anyway, that's my opinion....

 ________		 ___			Leo L. Schwab
	   \		/___--__		The Guy in The Cape
  ___  ___ /\		    ---##\		ihnp4!ptsfa!well!ewhac
      /   X  \_____    |  __ _---))			..or..
     /   /_\--    -----+==____\ // \  _		well ---\
___ (   o---+------------------O/   \/ \	dual ----> !unicom!ewhac
     \     /		    ___ \_  (`o )	hplabs -/       ("AE-wack")
 ____ \___/			     \_/
	      Recumbent Bikes:			"Work FOR?  I don't work FOR
	    The _O_n_l_y Way To Fly!		anybody!  I'm just having fun."

eric@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Eric Cotton) (04/30/87)

In article <1226@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>beilke@puff.WISC.EDU (Matthew Beilke) wrote in article <693@puff.WISC.EDU>:
>>    addbuffers df1: 50		; 50 means 50K
>
>I thought it meant 50 buffers, where a buffer is about 512 bytes.

Bob is correct.  As per page 25 of the 1.2 Enhancer manual:

	Format:		ADDBUFFERS df<x>:<nn>
	Purpose:	to reduce disk access time by adding sector cache
			buffers

	Specification:

	Adds <nn> buffers to the list of sector caches for drive <x>.
	Adding additional buffers can significantly reduce disk access time.
	The tradeoff is that the command uses up memory; each buffer
	added reduces memory by approximately 500 bytes.

	The improvement in disk access time is less pronounced when you
        add more than 25-30 extra buffers.

I couldn't have said it better m'self...

--
	Eric Cotton
	Commodore-Amiga

"I don't find this stuff amusing anymore."
/*========================================================================*/
/*====    UUCP: {ihnp4|allegra|seismo|pyramid!amiga}!cbmvax!eric      ====*/
/*====    ARPA: cbmvax!eric@seismo                                    ====*/
/*==== US mail: Commodore Technology / 1200 Wilson Drive              ====*/
/*====          West Chester, PA 19380                                ====*/
/*====   phone: (215) 431-9180                                        ====*/
/*========================================================================*/

hadeishi@husc7.UUCP (05/01/87)

Re: Workbench improvements, compatibility, and computer revolutions

	Although it is clear the Workbench must be improved, it is
also clear that the Amiga will improve in sales the more it is
perceived as a useful tool with many applications.  That is, any
strategy for positioning the Amiga in the consumer market has got
to eventually rest on the utility of the machine itself.  The theory
that Rattigan was delaying the Amiga 2000 to hurt Commodore so stock
values would go down is as plausible as any other I've heard.  The thing
should be viewed as a kind of magic box which does what it does
elegantly and inexpensively.  This is the way the Apple II was
perceived for many years, and this gave the machine a kind of
supernatural capacity which allowed it to survive many years of
apparent obsolescence while remaining extremely USEFUL and, yes,
even fun to use.  This comes from a painstaking dedication on the
part of software designers to create things which are not full of
rough edges.  Most techies like us can handle the rough edges with
no problem; we just think of it as a minor, though irritating,
annoyance.  For a typical user, however, these rough edges can mean the
difference between the machine sitting in the attic or in the living room
or office.  The typical user, furthermore, doesn't really know
WHY s/he's not using the thing, it's just not "useful" or it's not
"fun."  This is not a function of hardware capacity alone; it is a
function of the enthusiasm and dedication of an entire community
of users and developers.  It is NOT helped by a corporate policy to
hold development back in the interests of compatibility; certainly
this is an issue, but I feel if an operating system upgrade is
done properly (as in Kickstart 1.2) it can be a source of renewed
enthusiasm for the machine.  Users are enchanted by the idea that
just by changing a disk in the machine it goes three times faster.
So-called naive users may not be aware of WHY they like using the
machine more, but they can FEEL it, just as a nonmusician may not
be able to understand all of the technical reasons why a great
musician or performance moves them so much.  There is a real perceived
quality of using a machine which is directly related to these little
things such as the time it takes to open a drawer, the slowness of
icons appearing on the screen, and so forth.  There has been some
discussion about the "right" and the "wrong" way to do certain things;
it is certainly true that to give up some features for the sake
of perceived performance or simplicity of design is an important
issue; but of even greater importance is the integrity and consistency
of the design and its implementation, which translates into: a lot of
time and effort.  I admit the Commodore brass may not feel that
hard work is so necessary to create something worthwhile; the whole
illusion of Wall Street is that one can make money just by playing
a game (the market).  All such games must eventually falter (stock
prices fall again.)  (Of course, we love you, CATS, but we don't
always love your bosses.)  But I think there must be those up there
who are sympathetic to this message: produce a good product, help
the user community make it better, and don't get bogged down in
amorphous issues such as "compatibility."  Apple changed it's operating
system TOTALLY (TOTALLY) in at least two rather major revolutions;
first, to DOS 3.3 (more disk space), then to ProDOS (heiarchical file
system, MUCH faster disk I/O).  In each case users tended to
embrace the changes, especially when it came with such revolutionary
programs as AppleWorks (a wonderful example of a program which doesn't
know that it's too powerful and easy to use to be running on a 6502-
based 8- (yes, EIGHT!) bit computer.)  (At one point AppleWorks was
OUTSELLING Lotus 1-2-3; in fact, it had sold more at one point
in TOTAL than 1-2-3.  And, of course, AW is a MUCH nicer program to
use; although it lacks features, it is a beautiful, simple design,
I don't think it has been outdone by any other 8-bit program.)
If the new OS is presented properly, (and one IMPORTANT criterion is
that it not be over-designed, like UNIX and OS/2 with it's
horrible hacks to preserve compatibility such as TWO sets of BIOS calls,
etc.) it could easily catch on and become THE operating system for
the Amiga line.  It must be well designed!!!  Simple, elegant,
to the point.  Look, if people want to use the old OS, they can
use old ROMs or old Kickstart disks.  Perhaps they can even load
Kickstart into normal RAM, and since RAM is going to be ultra-cheap anyway
(despite the machinations of Congress) it won't be too big of a cost.
Compatibility cripples new OSs.  A new OS is not a new OS if it
tries too hard to be "compatible."  If there are horrible, ugly
problems, solve them at a minor cost to the user: just replace the
whole software system.  (This means, at worst, new ROMs; some way to
bring up the old environment could be provided, perhaps, with ROMtags
in RAM or some such.)  This may sound radical, and, in fact, I just
thought of it right this minute.  I used to think there were
good arguments for incremental OS improvements; now I think
machines should be able to support multiple environments (the
beauty of Kickstart.)  Why not?  There is NO user confusion; it is
quite clear, the two operating systems are totally incompatible
(well, they might both use Exec and most of Intuition, but you
can't exchange disks, and software in one "universe" breaks in the
other.)  It is much more confusing to have constant incremental
OS upgrades which don't really make it incompatible, but, oh yeah,
you'll have to rev all of your software.  Having simply two
incompatible environments makes the situation crystal-clear;
I doubt people expressed much anguish that their old DOS 3.3
stuff didn't work under ProDOS.  They simply kept two sets of
software; and everybody was happy (as long as there was file
transfer and conversion software around.)  The Amiga operating
system, furthermore, makes the development of alternative
environments rather easy; you don't have to replace everything,
you can take out subsystems and munge around, cleaning things
up, and you don't have to rewrite the entire thing from the ground
up.  The opportunties a truly clean DOS would open up for
application developers and people putting systems together
would be vast; in fact, the Amiga would probably ending up having
a lifetime long beyond mere hardware obsolescence.  (And,
anyway, you can stick in 68020 cards, etc., just like the old
Apple II owners could stick in 3x accelerators, 512K RAM expansions,
and the like.  Magic, that's what people enjoy, and that's what
they perceive underneath all of the technical mumbo jumbo.  And
that's our job---to provide it.)  Go all the way, guys.  Compatibility
is a Trojan horse.

			-Mitsu

P.S.  This does not mean I think the entire Amiga software system is
bad; just DOS, basically.  Even Workbench would be tolerable if not a
joy to use if only DOS worked right.  Workbench could use some work, too,
however; now that the user community has had it for a couple of years,
we could all use a good replacement.  In fact, Intuition is very well done
and so is the library system.  JUST GET RID OF DOS!

bryce@COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (05/01/87)

In article <2967@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:

>	I always thought that the simplest and easiest-to-implement hack to
>the Workbench would be to create a file called "foo" (call it whatever you
>like; the name isn't important).  "foo" would be an ASCII text file that
>contains, on each line, the filenames of all the .info files in this
>directory.

It's called ".info" and appears in every directory that you open up from the
Workbench.  It consists of a date/time stamp and the ASCII text names of
all the .info files in that directory.  Sound about right?

type sys:.info opt h

When the date/time stamp does not match the modification date on the directory
the workbench reads EVERYTHING and updates ".info".  Face it, you where
out-hacked  :-) .

I am not sure if Workbench UPDATES this file or RE-WRITES it.  If no new
.info files appeared after after a scan it could just touch the date stamp
quickly.
Other things that Workbench may or may not already be doing:
RENAME instead of COPY if source and destination are on the same volume.
When 'snapshoting' a file SEEK() to the position bytes, do not re-write the
entire file.
   //
\\//  I liked the bouncy-ball logo better; but it's hard to do as text!

gbs@utgpu.UUCP (05/02/87)

Summary:Amen

In article <1816@husc6.UUCP> hadeishi@husc7.UUCP (Mitsuharu Hadeishi) writes:
>Re: Workbench improvements, compatibility, and computer revolutions

	In a short reply to a long posting... Amen. Yes. Agreed. Go for it.

	Just look at ibm products (for the big machines) that make all
	new advances look like 1960's technology so the os can cope!
	I have a friend who uses CMS (?) and the machine considers his
	terminal to be a "virtual card reader" why in 1987 is "card reader"
	still in the vocabulary at ibm? IBM profits dropped sharply last year
	as they have been doing for some time now. But, everythings compatible!
	C-A is just off a losing streak,  they should be looking at this
	sort of thing for good ideas on what NOT to do. If it needs rewriting
	rewrite! Damn the torpedoes full speed ahead!

Gideon Sheps   (or Cheops, as my Egyptian relatives spell it)
I am not a number ...                             ...I am a free variable !
gbs@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu                                          ///
gbs@utorgpu.bitnet/EARN/NetNorth                              \\\///
      I don't need a disclamer 'cause nobody listens to me.    \\\/

acs@amdahl.UUCP (Tony Sumrall) (05/02/87)

In article <1987May2.003620.11966@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> gbs@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Gideon Sheps) writes:
>In article <1816@husc6.UUCP> hadeishi@husc7.UUCP (Mitsuharu Hadeishi) writes:
>>Re: Workbench improvements, compatibility, and computer revolutions
>	In a short reply to a long posting... Amen. Yes. Agreed. Go for it.
>
>	Just look at ibm products (for the big machines) that make all
>	new advances look like 1960's technology so the os can cope!
>	I have a friend who uses CMS (?) and the machine considers his
>	terminal to be a "virtual card reader" why in 1987 is "card reader"
>	still in the vocabulary at ibm? IBM profits dropped sharply last year
>	as they have been doing for some time now. But, everythings compatible!
>	C-A is just off a losing streak,  they should be looking at this
>	sort of thing for good ideas on what NOT to do. If it needs rewriting
>	rewrite! Damn the torpedoes full speed ahead!
>--
>Gideon Sheps   (or Cheops, as my Egyptian relatives spell it)
>I am not a number ...                             ...I am a free variable !
>gbs@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu                                          ///
>gbs@utorgpu.bitnet/EARN/NetNorth                              \\\///
>      I don't need a disclamer 'cause nobody listens to me.    \\\/

I'm not normally in the position of "defending" things but I'll make an
exception in this case and also take this opportunity to correct a
misconception (or misstatement):  CMS considers your terminal to be a
3215, not a card reader.  A CMS user *may* have a virtual card reader as
well as a virtual printer (a 3800 if you like).  The user may define 3270
terminals which other users may use.  (This is an oversimplification but
it is basically correct).  Anyway, I've used the virtual card punch/reader
many times to exchange data with other machines (let's not discuss why IBM
won't support full-duplex or even intelligent half-duplex on their mainstay
operating systems).  It's not a problem, it's just an 80-byte wide hole
thru which I shove/pull my data.  Facilities exist to shove lines longer
than 80 bytes through it and restore the file to its original state.

When it comes to compatibility in the IBM-compatible mainframe community,
the reasons are mostly economic.  A large institution may have literally
billions of dollars tied up in the thousands of modules that go to make
up their applications.  Even a simple re-compilation of the system to
handle a single non-compatible item can take months and cost hundreds of
thousands of dollars (something that most businesses don't generally
take kindly to) and can take much longer if problems develop because of
"assumptions" that programmer's have made about the system that is *not*
true in the new, non-compatible system.  Don't get me wrong, it *has* been
done but it's not easy.  There are still many many installations out there
that have not yet gone to 370-XA mode (real storage sizes of 2G, smarter
I/O subsystem) and that was introduced...what was it...5 years ago?  The
reason? - conversion costs.

Should the Amiga be worried about maintaining compatibility?  If the machine
is ever gonna be anything other than a hacker's machine, yes.  Why - for
the same reasons outlined above albeit on a smaller scale.  I'm not saying
that change is bad, just that it must be planned and implemented very
carefully (i.e. don't go off half-cocked - that's what got us into this
situation in the first place).
--

ain@s.cc.purdue.edu (Patrick White) (05/04/87)

In article <2967@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:

 >	I always thought that the simplest and easiest-to-implement hack to
 >the Workbench would be to create a file called "foo"...
 >
 >	Reconstruction of this file would be pathetically simple.  Using
 >this file would be just as simple.  Just open the file, read the filename,
 >open the filename, read the icon info, close the filename, and repeat for
 >all remaining filenames in the file (there would be one filename per line).

   I for one like this idea -- it is compatible with the old versions as well
as adding speed to new ones.  Anybody want to suggest a name?  How about
"info"?

 >	But *PUHLEEZE* don't wack on the filesystem just to make Workbench's
 >life easier.  You'll make everyone else's life more difficult.

   Many sounds of agreement here -- its too late to change the file system
now.

-- Pat White
UUCP: { ihnp4, seismo, ucbvax, decvax } ee.ecn.purdue.edu!s.cc.purdue.edu!ain
BITNET:	PATWHITE@PURCCVM
U.S.Mail:  271 E. Sunset Ln.
	   West Lafayette, In 47906

doc@j.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (05/05/87)

In article <212@s.cc.purdue.edu> ain@k.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (Patrick White) writes:
>In article <2967@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>   I for one like this idea -- it is compatible with the old versions as well
>as adding speed to new ones.  Anybody want to suggest a name?  How about
>"info"?
    EGADS!!!  No, don't use the filename "info" for anything!!  That is a
big conflict with one of my flavorite commands on the Amiga and I would
simply go nuts having it always tell me that I cannot execute 'info'...
I also like the idea, but please use something like '.info.ext' for
it!
    Craig Norborg
    comp.sources.amiga moderator		j.cc.purdue.edu!doc