[comp.sys.amiga] Making a Task a Process

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (05/04/87)

jmsynge@sqm.dec.com (James M Synge) wrote in article <9663@decwrl.DEC.COM>:
>What I want (and am slowly working on) is a library of routines which a TASK
>can call which enable it to do all disk related activity just like a PROCESS.

Way back in memory (out of my cache, sorry) I seem to remember a routine
that either Flip or AndyF posted to allow a TASK to become a PROCESS,
presumably by just setting up a Process structure and gluing the TASK
structure onto it.

I (quickly) searched through my files but came up empty-handed.
Was I just dreaming this?

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.   page@ulowell.{uucp,edu,csnet}

miner@ulowell.UUCP (05/05/87)

In article <1251@ulowell> page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>jmsynge@sqm.dec.com (James M Synge) wrote in article <9663@decwrl.DEC.COM>:
>>What I want (and am slowly working on) is a library of routines which a TASK
>>can call which enable it to do all disk related activity just like a PROCESS.
>
>...either Flip or AndyF posted to allow a TASK to become a PROCESS,

Even if this exists, I do not think it is what James is looking for.  A
process would use AmigaDOS, James wants to have DOS-like functionality
from the well behaved world of an EXEC task.

So long AmigaDOS, hello EXEC-DOS (written in C), I can dream also!

--
Rich Miner  ULowell-Cntr for Productivity  !ulowell!miner  617-452-5000x2693

phillip@cbmvax.UUCP (05/06/87)

in article <1253@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu>, miner@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Rich A Miner ) says:

> In article <1251@ulowell> page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>>jmsynge@sqm.dec.com (James M Synge) wrote in article <9663@decwrl.DEC.COM>:
>>>What I want (and am slowly working on) is a library of routines which a TASK
>>>can call which enable it to do all disk related activity just like a PROCESS.
>>
>>...either Flip or AndyF posted to allow a TASK to become a PROCESS,
>
> Even if this exists, I do not think it is what James is looking for.  A
> process would use AmigaDOS, James wants to have DOS-like functionality
> from the well behaved world of an EXEC task.
>
> So long AmigaDOS, hello EXEC-DOS (written in C), I can dream also!

You could always setup a process that just sits there and does DOS requests you
send him....Maybe even in the form of a device/library... Just make sure
your dealing with a process. If you look at Neils device example (RKM vol.
2, appendix K, mydev.asm, page 15) you will see a way of constructing a segment
list so you can CreateProc() on any code segment in your program.
Phillip (Flip) Lindsay - Commodore Business Machines - Amiga Technical Support
  UUCP: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!phillip      - Phone: (215) 431-9180
  No warranty is implied or otherwise given in the form of suggestion or
  example. Any opinions found here are of my making.