[comp.sys.amiga] Ext. Drive on the Fritz

eric@hippo.UUCP (Eric Bergan) (05/03/87)

	Last night, my external drive decided to start acting up. It
had been working without incident the night before, but now (with nothing
apparently changing), it is exhibiting some very bizarre and anti-social
behaviour. It seems to still read disks correctly. But if it tries to
write to a disk, it trashes it (seems to be messing up track 40, according
to disksalv and diskdoctor). If you try and format a new disk in it,
it complains that the disk is write protected (even though it is not).

	Has anyone else experienced problems like this? Is it something
a semi-hardware type can fix, or will it need to go somewhere for
servicing? (If the latter, are there any recommendations for Bay area
shops?) I assume that it is the drive itself, and not the logic in
the Amiga, or is it? The drive and Amiga are out of warrenty, of course.

	Any guesses on what caused the problem? It seems to have just
developed for no apparent reason. But I don't recall having heard
about a lot of other people having problems with their external drives.

	Thanks for any suggestions or recommendations.

--

					eric
					...!ptsfa!hippo!eric

spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) (05/05/87)

In article <117@hippo.UUCP> eric@hippo.UUCP (Eric Bergan) writes:
>to disksalv and diskdoctor). If you try and format a new disk in it,
>it complains that the disk is write protected (even though it is not).
>
>	Has anyone else experienced problems like this?
>
>					eric

The only thing that I could suggest is that you try checking the connections.
I found that my drive just needed to be taked apart and the wires played with.

That worked for me, and my drive is fine now.

Good luck.
Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)284-4740
                         I N F I N I T Y                 BBS: (415)283-5469
Now working for          |||||||||||::::... . .                    BUD-LINX
But in no way            |||||||||||||||::::.. .. .
Officially representing  ||||||||||||:::::... ..    ....ucbvax!mica!spencer
                         s o f t w a r e          spencer@mica.berkeley.edu

dbilkis@venera.isi.edu.UUCP (05/06/87)

In article <117@hippo.UUCP> eric@hippo.UUCP (Eric Bergan) writes:
>	Last night, my external drive decided to start acting up.
> It seems to still read disks correctly. But if it tries to
>write to a disk, it trashes it (seems to be messing up track 40, according
>to disksalv and diskdoctor). If you try and format a new disk in it,
>it complains that the disk is write protected (even though it is not).

Eric,
	I had a similar problem only it began when one of our hardware
guys powered down the 5.25" drive out of sequence...It no longer reads,
writes, or formats reliably, and makes some really horrible grinding
noises...we have sent it off to our retailer for repairs...
	Love,
		Wook

hull@hao.UCAR.EDU (Howard Hull) (05/06/87)

This problem can also be caused by the write protect switch action becoming
faulty.  For people who really slam those disks into the drive day after day,
the mechanical adjustment can creep (or there may be contamination of the
switch contacts).  AmigaDOS checks the disk to see if write protect is set,
but the switch may bounce as soon as the drive stepping hits a resonance
somewhere along the way; then you lose bits.  Track 40 is a common victim
of this malady, as that's where the root directory blocks normally end up.
It is probably possible to heuristically adjust the switch, and I wouldn't
be bashful about trying it myself.  George Robbins probably knows the
factory criteria, so I'll let him address that question rather than tell
you anything specific here.
								Howard Hull
[If yet unproven concepts are outlawed in the range of discussion...
                 ...Then only the deranged will discuss yet unproven concepts]
	{ucbvax!hplabs | decvax!noao | mcvax!seismo | ihnp4!seismo} !hao!hull
	for domain mailers: hull@hao.ucar.edu