[comp.sys.amiga] Which is best Nec multisync or Sony KVxx?

chapman@fornax.uucp (John Chapman) (05/03/87)

..
I need to get a monitor, not necessarily ofr an Amiga, and so
far the contenders are Nec's multisync or one of the Sony KVxx
series (probably a 13"). I would appreciate hearing from people
as to which they consider the "best".  News is not particularly
reliable at our site so please reply by email and I will summarize
the replies I get.  If anyone has alternatives to these monitors
in the same sort of price range I would be interested in that too.
One concern I have about the multisync is that (according to a NEC
rep. I talked to at siggraph) the rgb signals must be in the range
0-0.7v - standard rgb is 0-1.0v it seems to me so is this a problem?

thanks in advance,
		john

{watmath,seismo,uw-beaver}!ubc-vision!fornax!sfulccr!chapman
                   or  ...!ubc-vision!sfucmpt!chapman

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (05/05/87)

In article <278@fornax.uucp> chapman@fornax.uucp (John Chapman) writes:
>One concern I have about the multisync is that (according to a NEC
>rep. I talked to at siggraph) the rgb signals must be in the range
>0-0.7v - standard rgb is 0-1.0v it seems to me so is this a problem?

	Actually .7 volts is standard for analog RBG and 1 volt is standard
	for composite video.  Actually composite has about .7 volts of video
	and .3 volts sync, but let's not argue about that.

	Most monitors are able to cope with a fair range of voltages
	via their brightness controls.

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (05/07/87)

The Sony KV13XBR is a very nice monitor for the Amiga.  It is an
NTSC format, rather than multisync type of monitor.  The Sony has
the advantage of Being an RGB analog monitor in addition to a TV
set with a remote control, thus enabling you to watch Max Headroom
when you need a break from programming (grin).  You might try BTE
electronics (see ad in Computer Shopper, for instance) for a source
of Sony monitors.  The KV13XBR monitor will not work with your EGA
card.  You'll have to make up your own cable to connect to the
Amiga with either the Sony or the NEC multisync.  The connectors
you need vary according to monitor.  I'd consider asking if the
dealer can make the cable for you, thus saving some bother.

The NEC Multisync is not a bad monitor.  I've had experiences with
8 of them so far.  The oldest NEC (in my office) has been running 8
hrs. weekdays for the last year.  There is a wide variation in
quality on the NEC multisyncs, though.  You never can be sure what
you'll get.  The best NEC multisync I've seen comes very close to
the Sony CPD-1302 (which by the way, is the best multisync monitor
that we have encountered in the 13-14 inch class).  The CPD-1302
will set you back $750, which is outside the range you specified.
The worst NEC we got came with a tilted yoke; another came with a
very out-of-focus picture.  I was able to adjust both to acceptable
perfomance- an annoyance to have to do that on a brand new monitor,
however.  The NEC also requires quite a bit of fiddling with the
position knobs as it switches between modes, especially CGA  -->
EGA480.  Sony and Taxan multisyncs have more sophisticated auto
positioning circuits.

I have to say one thing about the CPD-1302.  It uses typically
inscrutible oriental design.  Like many Sony products, there is an
amazing amount of electronic stuff inside.  It looks like there are
enough components to build three normal monitors!  The NEC
multisync does its job with fewer components.  The NEC also
switches electronically, and has no clanky-sounding relay when it
changes sync modes.  I suppose that simply becuase it has more
parts, the Sony CPD-1302 would be more likely to fail, although our
experience hasn't borne that out.  We were able to get the shop
manual for the CPD-1302 from Sony, but it did take two trys-- the
first manual we received was for a NEC Spinwriter that is sold with
a Sony label on it!!!  (It has a similar part number to the
monitor's manual.)  NEC hasn't dug a shop manual up for us yet.  I
have not seen the insides of a KV13XBR, but the performance of
other Sony products suggests that it would be alright.

The NEC multisync has an anode voltage of ~40 KV for the screen.
The Sony uses around 30 KV (forget the exact value at the moment).
NEC claims that the high anode is an advantage, but that doesn't
seem true.  Our experience is that higher anode voltages do
increase brightness, but also tend to increase pincushioning and
degrade focusability of the beam.

Hope this helped some,
Bill

Bill Mayhew
Division of Basic Medical Science
Northeastern Ohio Univ.'s College of Med.
Rootstown, OH  44272  USA    phone:  216-325-2511
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP   ...!cbatt!neoucom!wtm)