[comp.sys.amiga] Rumor Mills Grinding...

doc@j.cc.purdue.edu (Craig Norborg) (04/29/87)

    Well, once again, the rumor mill is grinding.  I have heard a rumor
that a certain arcade game company (Bally?) has purchased the rights to
the Amiga graphics chips as long as they have the rights to any games
produced with these chips.  Can anyone confirm this?
    Craig Norborg
    PUCC Computing Center

In article <4069@j.cc.purdue.edu> doc@j.cc.purdue.edu (Craig Norborg) writes:

>    Well, once again, the rumor mill is grinding.  I have heard a rumor
>that a certain arcade game company (Bally?) has purchased the rights to
>the Amiga graphics chips as long as they have the rights to any games
>produced with these chips.  Can anyone confirm this?

This sounds confused...

Actually three video coin-op arcade game manufactures are buying A500 circuit
boards with the intention of using them in game machines.  I don't know if
Commodore may eventually get some rights to consumer versions of the games,
but it sounds pretty good to me in any case.

rar@auc.UUCP (Rodney Ricks) (05/04/87)

In article <4069@j.cc.purdue.edu> doc@j.cc.purdue.edu (Craig Norborg) writes:
>    Well, once again, the rumor mill is grinding.  I have heard a rumor
>that a certain arcade game company (Bally?) has purchased the rights to
>the Amiga graphics chips as long as they have the rights to any games
>produced with these chips.  Can anyone confirm this?
     According to INFO magazine,  Bally has purchased the rights to use
"Amiga technology" in their arcade games.  Supposedly, a game has just recently
come onto the market from Bally which uses the Amiga chip set (you'll have to
buy the magazine to get the name.  I don't have mine on hand).  What did
Amiga get out of the deal?  They get the home/personal computer rights to all
of the games using the Amiga chip set.  Hopefully, this will result in home
versions of arcade games as good as (or better than) the original.
     Now, if only someone would make Amiga version of the older arcade games.
I'd LOVE to have a full version of Robotron (wasn't someone working on that
once?), Asteroids Deluxe or Millipedes.
>    Craig Norborg
>    PUCC Computing Center

[ And now, for something completely different ... a cute disclaimer. ]

Since I do not have any connections with Commodore (other than owning an Amiga,
and two Commodore 64's before it, and convincing several people to buy
Amigas and ... well, you get the point ) the above information is subject to
several abberations, like, for example, being completely wrong.

NO WARRANTY EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED

Rodney Ricks,
  Atlanta University Center Computation Center

kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) (05/05/87)

In article <32122@auc.UUCP>, rar@auc.UUCP (Rodney Ricks) writes:
>      According to INFO magazine,  Bally has purchased the rights to use
> "Amiga technology" in their arcade games.  Supposedly, a game has just recently
> come onto the market from Bally which uses the Amiga chip set (you'll have to
> buy the magazine to get the name.  I don't have mine on hand).  What did
> Amiga get out of the deal?  They get the home/personal computer rights to all
> of the games using the Amiga chip set.  Hopefully, this will result in home
> versions of arcade games as good as (or better than) the original.

I recall seeing an article on this in EET (Electronic Engineering Times)
several weeks ago.  If memory serves me [occasionally, it does], the game
that was mentioned was "Moonwalker" (I *know* the 1st part of the name was
Moon, anyway).

As to game rights, I dunno ... I do know that CBM is making $money$ though,
and increased volume of chip production can't help but lower the UMC (Unit
Manufacturing Cost) of the Amiga.  Further, penatration of Amiga technology
into new markets should help with the long-term viability of the Amiga.

Also, it might well be in this arena that CBM will choose to make the new
versions of "the Ladies" available first ... you know, the ones that can
address 2-Megs of Chip RAM.  And then they might show up in an "A3000",
or A2000 upgrade (yeah, I know, wishful thinking ...)

Good news, in any case!

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb,cbosgd}!amdahl!kim

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

tenney@well.UUCP (05/08/87)

I have checked with one of my clients and they said I can tell you that
Bally Sente does have a contract with Commodore.  Bally Sente is
releasing its first coin-op game (what you call arcade) using the A500
board along with custom (and proprietary) hardware (which includes
enhanced sound).  This is only the first of many projects using this
architecture.  Bally Sente showed off a version of this first game
(called MoonQuake) at the recent ACME show in New Orleans.  The
brochure they passed out at this show included a picture of the A500
board along with their custom hardware.

A couple of opinions (my own, not Bally Sente's):

This first game (MoonQuake) is either in the process of being
manufactured or will be very soon (no, not RSN, really soon!), but
it can take a month or two to hit the streets.

Although Bally Sente is one of my clients, I think this game (written
by Bob Smith of Imagic and lots of VCS hits fame, along with a group of
very talented artists, musicians, etc.) will be HOT.  The game has
changed alot over the last few months and has gotten much better even
since ACME.  Ok, they are a client, but it is nice.

I can't really say much else, so...

-- Glenn Tenney
UUCP: {hplabs,glacier,lll-crg,ihnp4!ptsfa}!well!tenney
ARPA: well!tenney@LLL-CRG.ARPA        Delphi and MCI Mail: TENNEY
As Alphonso Bodoya would say... (tnx boulton)
Disclaimers? DISCLAIMERS!? I don' gotta show you no stinking DISCLAIMERS!