[comp.sys.amiga] National Amiga forums

spietrow@atlas.UUCP (05/06/87)

It seems as though our mailer isn't fixed....Could those wishing to respond
to the article I posted a few days ago (it's listed below again) please
respond to the net?  I'd like to see a discussion about this:

-------
Many people that are reading this probably also belong to some of the
subscriber networks (PeopleLink, Genie, etc) that have Amiga related
SIGs.  I was wondering, what do people look for when they subscribe to
these?  I know cost is a factor, but obviously other factors are involved.
(Some places charge something like $12.95/hr at 1200 baud, but people still
flock to them....other services, like PeopleLink charge about $4.95/hr at
1200 baud).

Now, I'm looking for comments on the services in general, and the Amiga
clubs on those services in particular.

Thanks!

S. R. Pietrowicz
UUCP: ...!{seismo,sun,pur-ee,brl-bmd}!gould!houligan!spietrow
(NOTE: Disregard header info. If you want to send email to me, use the above
 path).
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer.

hah@omepd.UUCP (05/08/87)

In article <269@atlas.UUCP> spietrow@atlas.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz) writes:
>Many people that are reading this probably also belong to some of the
>subscriber networks (PeopleLink, Genie, etc) that have Amiga related
>SIGs.  I was wondering, what do people look for when they subscribe to
>these?  I know cost is a factor, but obviously other factors are involved.
>(Some places charge something like $12.95/hr at 1200 baud, but people still
>flock to them....other services, like PeopleLink charge about $4.95/hr at
>1200 baud).
>
>S. R. Pietrowicz

Any thing over $3.00/hr at any baud rate is a total ripoff!  Also some of
these so called services try to copyright all articles posted to their
systems.

Some of the nets are allowing FREE uploading.... but they don't give you
a like amount of time for downloading!

Hans

scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) (05/10/87)

In article <648@omepd> hah@isum.UUCP (Hans Hansen) writes:
>In article <269@atlas.UUCP> spietrow@atlas.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz) writes:
>>Many people that are reading this probably also belong to some of the
>>subscriber networks (PeopleLink, Genie, etc) that have Amiga related
>>SIGs.  I was wondering, what do people look for when they subscribe to
>>these?  I know cost is a factor, but obviously other factors are involved.
>>(Some places charge something like $12.95/hr at 1200 baud, but people still
>>flock to them....other services, like PeopleLink charge about $4.95/hr at
>>1200 baud).
>>
>>S. R. Pietrowicz
>
>Any thing over $3.00/hr at any baud rate is a total ripoff!  Also some of
>these so called services try to copyright all articles posted to their
>systems.
Gee I pay nearly $10 an hour to get USENET, I guess I'm getting ripped real
bad eh? Usenet is NOT free by any stretch of the imagination. That $10 is
just for telephone charges, it doesn't include CPU usage nor disk usage both
of which are VERY high for usenet.

There's more to this subject than just $perhr. Compuserve for example charges
$12+hr for 1200 baud and delivers data at about 576 baud. GEnie charges $5hr
for 1200 baud and delivers data at about 1024 baud. USENET costs me roughly
$10 an hour and delivers data at about 840 baud.

Also a clarification, the services don't try to copyright ALL materials posted.
They do attempt to copyright material that has no legal copyright though. A
good example of a loser under this is the dork that "This program is Copywrite
1987 by"! Other losers are "CopyRight 1987" or "(C) 1987" or "Copyright 1982-
83-84-85-86". If you aren't a dork then your software is safe for the most part.
The moral of this? Don't be a dork, find out how to copyright your postings.
And foolish is the person who would rather use "(C)" than "Copyright" and risk
loosing his/her property over a cold legal decision. A "Copyright" in the hand
beats a "(C)" in the bush.

Scott Turner

--
L5 Computing, the home of Merlin, Arthur, Excalibur and the CRAM.
GEnie: JST | UUCP: stride!l5comp!scotty | 12311 Maplewood Ave; Edmonds WA 98020