[comp.sys.amiga] Aminetics Squeeze ram revisited.

mjw@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Witbrock) (05/12/87)

Well, I called aminetics about my problem with the squeeze ram. Three days
later, 6 0.047uF (I think tantalum - unpolarized) caps arrived, with
instructions to install them between the power supply connections (Pin n/2 and
n on an n pin chip) on the non-ram chips of the board. It fixed it. Works
fine. I'd recommend the kit to anyone. - you still need to be willing to
take the risk that it wont work with your REV A made in japan board. It
works with mine now, but maybe you'll want to open up (Ehww no!!!!!) your
amiga and look at the top of the KickStart board. If it doesnt say rev C on
top (i.e solder side), its a rev A one and may not work.

This is another description of the Fix. [Les, I tried to reply to thank you
for sending this, but localnet is not enough of a path name. Perhaps you
could check your mailer (It has also 'apparently' confused CM's mail
reciever a little too]
>From: 0000-Les Beears(0000) <les@snowhite.localnet>
>Apparently-To: mjw@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu

I experienced the same problem you are having.  After a call to Aminetics I
received a mod kit.  The kit consists of 6 caps (.047) which have to be
soldered between pins 8 and 16 of the 16 pin ic's and 7  and 14 of the 14
pin ic's.  This is for ic's 1-6.  It will solve the problem.  The reason
supposidly is critical memory timing.

----

Some further tips.
 It is sometimes really hard to get the board onto the mounting headers.
Believe the instructions. Be REALLLYYY careful to make sure that all your
headers and header sockets are vertical. Even then it takes time and care (I
should know, I've done it about 10 times now.

Use really sharp sidecutters to cut up the header strips. Preferably get new
ones. The ones I used were a bit munged. This did not help! - I almost
ruined the strips.

The instructions dont tell you, but once your board is installed, there
isn't really room for the sheild. There are two ways to fit it back on.
1)  Insulate the bottom of the kickstart board with (thickish, firm)
cardboard. The pins will try to poke through it and short on the sheild.
TAKE CARE.

2) Use spacers to raise the sheild about 5mm this will (I am told) clear the
board.

Good luck.

/ michael

Michael.Witbrock@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu
US Mail: Michael Witbrock
         Dept of Computer Science
         Carnegie Mellon University
         Pittsburgh PA 15213-6890
         USA
Telephone : (412) 268 3621 [Office]
            (412) 681 3806 [Home]

"Be good, be kind, in whatever you say and do, and remember: keep cool
till after school." (Ollie Olsen, Television New Zealand Kids Programme host
                      [Translated from sign language]                       ).

stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) (05/13/87)

In article <55@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu>, Michael Witbrock (mjw@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu)
writes:

> Well, I called aminetics about my problem with the squeeze ram. Three days
> later, 6 0.047uF (I think tantalum - unpolarized) caps arrived, with
> instructions to install them between the power supply connections (Pin n/2
> and n on an n pin chip) on the non-ram chips of the board. It fixed it.
> Works fine. I'd recommend the kit to anyone.  . . .

I wouldn't!  Any product that is not properly decoupled is not properly
designed!!  You are asking for trouble when you buy poorly-designed
products, and you are encouraging those who design and build marginal
products to continue doing so.

Unless you *like* the Guru, avoid products that don't have proper
decoupling!!!

					Steve Rice

new: stever@videovax.tv.Tek.com
old: {decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver | cae780}!tektronix!videovax!stever