[comp.sys.amiga] Forbid/Permid and graphics

bryce@COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU (Bryce Nesbitt) (05/13/87)

In article <who_cares> Dale Luck, the Software Wizard Extraordinaire typed:

> [When playing with the rp_Mask field you need to protect your self from]
> [intuition.  Here's how to do that best:]
>
> LockLayer()
>    do your stuff
>    muck with the mask etc,
>    draw with the new mask,
>    restore the mask
> UnlockLayer()

Well it is FAR, FAR too late for this, but a question/comment/flame it
in order:

One of the best ways to speed up text is to cut down on the ammount of
work.  This is even more critical in deep screens where *ANY*
write to CHIP memory is expensive. *!*

For a monochrome font in known conditions writing to one bitplane is
a good solution, until the user starts using the depth gadgets.

The reson the code above is disturbing is the SAME reson you came out
against Forbid() Permit(), to keeps layers locked for any length of
time disrupts the rest of the system.

I as of yet do not see a reason that Intuition would not copy all bitplanes
even if the mask is funny.  How to do this is another matter? -> a copy
of the rp_ is slow, a separate reserved "real" mask field is clumsy, a
standard, generic, rp_ for each screen...

    -Bryce-

*!*  That's CHIP ram or A500 and (worse yet) A2000 HYBRID memory. *sigh*

PS.  This would have gone to Dale Luck directly, but alas this sadistic
mailer refuses to find "dale@amiga.UUCP"

ewhac@well.UUCP (05/15/87)

In article <8705131207.AA18615@cogsci.berkeley.edu> bryce@COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:
>I as of yet do not see a reason that Intuition would not copy all bitplanes
>even if the mask is funny.

	Actually, it isn't Intuition's fault, but the layers library.  If
you stare at the layers library for any length of time, you'll see how a
large part of Intuition was implemented.

	I noticed the same problem with layers not copying all the bitplanes
if the mask was funny.  I discovered this side effect when I was trying to
do obscene things with the WorkBench backdrop.  Not a lot you can do about
it, unless you want to rewrite the layers library :-).

 ________		 ___			Leo L. Schwab
	   \		/___--__		The Guy in The Cape
  ___  ___ /\		    ---##\		ihnp4!ptsfa!well!ewhac
     \     /		    ___ \_  (`o )	hplabs -/       ("AE-wack")
	      Recumbent Bikes:			"Work FOR?  I don't work FOR
	    The _O_n_l_y Way To Fly!		anybody!  I'm just having fun."