[comp.sys.amiga] Blitzfonts woes?

hsgj@batcomputer.UUCP (05/15/87)

I just downloaded the "Blitzfonts" program that has been receiving
so much net attention lately, and had a few problems which I thought
I would describe here.

First:  My system has a lot of ''drivers'' running all the time,
namely VD0: DH0: (Mas-20) AUX: PIPE: and a 2-meg ram.  I also use
the Shell v2.04M.  I have been using this config for about 6 weeks
with absolutely no problems (well, just added AUX: but the rest of
the stuff has been running for a long time).  In fact, I was bragging to
folks about how easy it is to add new devices/''drivers'' to the
Amiga.

Well, with Blitzfonts running, I do see a nice text speedup of about
5 times.  But every once in a while for no reason at all the system
gurus with the standard error 3 and the address of the CLI.  This
is a really nasty error because IT CLEARS VD0: which (holding valuable
data) is really a pain.

I have experienced this failure running numerous things -- just the
shell, or the latest Hack103D or emacs.  On Emacs and the shell the
reset occurred (big news here->) when printing text...  On Hack,
though, it occurred after the Amiga was left idle for 2 hours.  I
pressed a key and BOOM.

I have removed Blitzfonts from my startup, and now I run the same
software and same config, with no problems.  So my guess is that
Blitzfonts is indeed the culprit, though of course with all these
''drivers'' it may be something else.

I really like the concept of Blitzfonts so I am in the process of
writing to the author to see if he has addressed this problem or
has an update.  I will post if I find out anything.

I just wanted to alert folks because of the severity of the possible
loss of VD0:.

-- Dan Green
--
ARPA:  hsgj@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
UUCP:  ihnp4!cornell!batcomputer!hsgj   BITNET:  hsgj@cornella

rokicki@rocky.UUCP (05/15/87)

I had to blow away BlitzFonts because I suspected it was crashing
my system.  Oh well.

-tom

kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (05/18/87)

In article <1021@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, hsgj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Dan Green) writes:

> I just downloaded the "Blitzfonts" program that has been receiving
> so much net attention lately, and had a few problems which I thought
> I would describe here.

Interesting.  I started using the Freely Redistributable version of
BlitzFonts (the version that was posted) many months ago, and the upgraded
version (that Hayes sent me when I registered) several weeks ago.  I haven't
had ANY problems attributable to either version whatsoever.

> First:  My system has a lot of ''drivers'' running all the time,
> namely VD0: DH0: (Mas-20) AUX: PIPE: and a 2-meg ram.  I also use
> the Shell v2.04M.  I have been using this config for about 6 weeks
> with absolutely no problems (well, just added AUX: but the rest of
> the stuff has been running for a long time).

In the interest of isolating this problem, here's what I normally have
going/configured (BTW, I have a C.Ltd 1-Meg board on the side):

        vd0:,  ram:,  DeciGEL (68010 rupt handler),  AddBuffers 30 (both),
        stack 20000,  setfont to "pearl",  RSLClock13s,  popcli (v2),
        AutoPoint2 w/jimm's commodities.library (v0.3),  GRABBiT,  AnyTime,
        BlitzFonts8, shell (v2.05M), and vt100 (v2.4)

VD0: is sized at 640K, and is typically 80% full.  Normally I edit with
dme (v1.25), but have used several versions of uEmacs without problems
as well.

Tom Rokicki reports, " I had to blow away BlitzFonts because I suspected
it was crashing my system.  Oh well."

Could you provide your "typical configuration", Tom?  In fact, I would be
interested in hearing what anyone whose using BlitzFonts configuration
is, and whether you've had problems.  Probably best to email this so as
not to clutter up the net ... I'll summarize if there is sufficient interest.

>                                              So my guess is that
> Blitzfonts is indeed the culprit, though of course with all these
> ''drivers'' it may be something else.

Ah yes, we do need some better tools to help isolate these kinds of problems,
though actually, I'm amazed at how well all this "stuff" can coexist together
and still function correctly (for the most part, anyway).  You should see the
pain and agony some of the PClone users go thru with incompatible TSR programs
(Terminate and Stay Resident), and the like.  Truly amazing!!!

Of course when there *are* problems, it is almost imperative to HAVE THE
BLOODY SOURCE CODE, or else go back to a vanilla, single-tasking system, or
toss away the application in question.

And Chris Anderson writes:
> As an owner of FastFonts (by Microsmiths), I thought I'd post a mini-review
> and clear up some misunderstandings.
>
> FastFonts is a teensy program that does pretty much what BlitzFonts
> claims to do (haven't uploaded that yet tho).  It has the additional
> feature of allowing you to substitute other fonts for the default
> Topaz font in system memory, thereby changing the look of your CLI
> or whatever, without the program's knowledge.

The version(s) of BlitzFonts that are provided after one registers, allow
you to specify fonts other than Topaz, and font sizes from 8 thru 16.  You
are supposed to be able to run more than one of them at a time, but I
haven't tried.  It will NOT work with proportional fonts.

> However, a significant complaint is that it does not live up to one
> of its claims, which is that you can create your own typefaces
> to substitute for the default Topaz one.

Shortly after I posted BlitzFonts, I was in my local Amiga dealer's, and did
a "Really Dumb Thing" ... I bought FastFonts!  Largely, this was due to the
statement on the back of the package that says, "Replace the System TOPAZ
Fonts with one of four fonts we supply - or with one of your own."

You see, I was *hoping* that the word "Replace" really meant just that, as I
would really like to use VT100 with the font of *my* choice (and currently,
TOPAZ is hardcoded in, and I haven't mucked with the source, since I keep
hoping to see v2.7 to show up soon [ any word, Dave? ] ).

Anyway, not only does FastFonts not "replace" TOPAZ, it does not even allow
me to specify the font that I currently prefer, which is called "pearl.font",
and was posted here by Mike Portuesi back in March [ thanks, Mike ... *much*
better than Topaz ].  It keeps telling me that I can't specify a proportional
font ... however, "pearl" is NOT proportional, and BlitzFonts8 handles it
just fine!

Now, before anyone jumps on me about it ... yes, I know TOPAZ is in Kickstart
somewhere (or is it in ROM), and can't *really* be "replaced".  But there are
ways ...

When (at long last) I finish this, I'll post a little program I came across
on Lattice's BBS that *does* "replace" TOPAZ.  It does some "naughty" things,
but it works ... at least for most things (like VT100).  There may well be
some programs that will break if it's been run, but at least it points the
way.  The author just called the program "test", but I call it "repfont" so
I can remember what it is.

And (since I'm in verbose mode :-) ), here are a few more comments on the
FastFonts product:

  o  ScreenBlanker should more accurately be called ScreenDimmer.  PopCLI
     does a better job here.

  o  FunKeys does provide some useful functions like: "activate-window"
     (cycles thru open windows and screens), "activate-front-window",
     "cycle-windows-to-front", "cycle-windows-to-back", "active-window-
     to-front-and-full-size-it", etc.

     The "open-new-cli" function is there, but PopCLI provides more
     capability since you specify the command PopCLI is to execute
     when it's activated.  This is normally the NewCLI command, but
     under 1.2, NewCLI has the optional FROM parm, which is the name
     of a file to be "Executed" when the new CLI comes up, but before
     control is passed to the user.  (So, whenever I pop a cli, it comes
     up with shell up and running, etc.)  PopCLI wins again.

     When you "run FunKeys" it *always* opens up it's damned window.
     Since this is the kind of program I would want to start from the
     startup-sequence, I don't want it to open anything!  (There are
     really two versions of the FastFonts program, one which opens a
     window on invocation, and "FF", which does not.

     Finally, only two of the 10 Function keys can be programmed.

  o  User documentation is pretty good.  There is no real technical
     documentation.

Anyone know if Charlie Heath (Microsmiths, Inc.) is still on the net?

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb,cbosgd}!amdahl!kim