[comp.sys.amiga] APL.68000 information request

kim@amdahl.UUCP (05/07/87)

[ For all you do ... this line's for you ... ]

I recently received a brochure from Spencer Organization, Inc. for a
product called "APL.68000" (in response to my having circled a number
on the bingo card in Computer Language magazine).

Though I am specifically interested in the Amiga version, I'm cross
posting this to all the comp.sys.groups that cover machines for which
the product is available (Amiga, Mac, AtariST, and PClone).  BTW, the
PClone version comes with a 68K board, and is called MultiAPL.

Has anybody had any experience with APL.68000 [or MultiAPL], or with
Spencer Organization, Inc?  The brochure says APL.68000 is a trademark
of MicroAPL Ltd.  Are these folks in Great Britain, or ...?

I've always wanted to play with APL since college [no "language wars",
please], and am wondering if this package would be worthwhile.  It seems
to be a pretty complete implementation from the (meager) information in
their literature, and does provide interfaces to the graphics facilities,
serial ports, windows/menus/etc. on all supported machines.

Two concerns on the Amiga implementation ... dunno if multitasking is
supported (no mention), and don't know if access to the native file system
is provided (mentioned for all *other* implementations).

They are asking $295 ($995 for PClones, w/68K board), and have a 30-day
money back guarantee, which seems in-line with (Amiga) compiler prices.

Any info would be appreciated; I'll summarize any email responses that I
receive to the net.

Thanks!
/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb,cbosgd}!amdahl!kim

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

ward@chinet.UUCP (05/14/87)

If you are only interested in "hacking", and have access to a PC or would
consider a clone (you WERE considering a board for a PC, no?), might
I recommend STSC APL?  It costs $595 (list), but they have a version
minus the full-screen editor and a few other things, called "Pocket APL".
  STSC is an EXCELLENT company, good products, good support.
  800-592-0050 (Rockville MD)

ljdickey@water.UUCP (05/16/87)

I have just returned from APL87 held this past week in Dallas.  Both
companies, Spencer Organization and STSC, were had booths in the
exhibit area.  I agree with comments made previously that STSC has an
excellent product and would add that APL.68000 is also an excellent
product.  Timing tests may sometines be deceiving, but I mention
that on some tests, APL.68000 on the Mac is about 5 times as fast as
STSC's APL*PLUS on the Mac.

The reason for the speed of the APL.68000 is that it is written in hand
crafted assembly code.  A very nice advantage, indeed.  This product
has been around for several years, and has most of the bugs shaken out
of it by now.  (You might have seen it on Wycat for instance.)  The
major marketing thrust now is for the Atari ST, the Mac, and the
Commodore Amiga and the ports wore done in that order.  Hence, claim
the developers, the Amiga version has the best interface of the three.

One representative from STSC claims that they have uniformity across
different versions.  Among others, they offer versions for the Sun, the
IBM PC, and for the Apple Macintosh.  The Mac version seems to be descended
from a product called PortaAPL, previously of Cambridge, Massachussets.
Since STSC claims now to have uniformity, it looks to me as though they
bought the Mac interface and the customer base and plans to expand on
that.

In recent years, STSC has brought many developments to APL, including
nested arrays.  Maybe these things will be coming to to the micro
versions.  The company provides excellent user support.

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
 ljdickey@water.UUCP    ljdickey%water@waterloo.CSNET

miner@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Rich A Miner ) (05/18/87)

In article <6487@amdahl.UUCP> kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>I recently received a brochure from Spencer Organization, Inc. for
>"APL.68000".  I am specifically interested in the Amiga version
I just received APL.68000 for the Amiga, here is a quick review.  I cannot
comment much on the language, I am new to APL.  Included in the cloth bound
box was: a single Amiga disk, with the APL interpreter, example programs,
and libraries; an APL.68000 quick reference booklet; a spiral bound manual
with sections on, getting started with APL, APL concepts, and an APL.68000
reference;  key stickers to map out the APL keyboard; and a separate booklet
on the Amiga specific features of this implementation.

This version of APL does allow you to access most of the Amiga advanced
features.  They have demo programs that shows the opening of windows and the
generation of graphical objects, all with little code.  You can also use music
and sound features using built in functions like OPENSOUND and MAKEWAVE.
I have not done any benchmarks though I have started playing around with some
heavy math, circular convolutions and single value decomposition (time to
get that 68020,68881 combo).  We will be using the APL to prototype Image
Processing algorithms and maybe as a front end language for a Parallel
Image Co-Processor board that we have built for the Amiga-A2000.

>Two concerns on the Amiga implementation ... dunno if multitasking is
>supported (no mention), and don't know if access to the native file system
>is provided (mentioned for all *other* implementations).

It does support multitasking and it allows communication using several
methods.  You can spawn off different APL tasks during your session.  These
different tasks can all access the Amiga ClipBoard.  One method for inter-
task communication is using the APL.68K commands PUTCLIP and GETCLIP to
transfer small bits of information between applications.  An other more
interesting method is the use of their component files.  The APL.68K
componant file is shared between all APL sessions.  The component file
system can thus be used to pass any APL data (including overlays of APL
functions) between different APL sessions.  There was no mention of using
message port and I am not sure weather these features can be accessed.

There are also commands to access and create files using the native Amiga
file system.

If you have any specific questions send EMAIL.
--
Rich Miner  ULowell-Cntr for Productivity  !ulowell!miner  617-452-5000x2693