[comp.sys.amiga] Aminetics ram + graphics bug.

mjw@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP (05/17/87)

I have a problem with my computer. On two particularly hairy grapohics
programs (MCAD12 and Jugglerdemo), a stripy (every second horizontal pixel
(plus a few others)) pattern SOMETIMES appears about 3/4 of the way across
my screen. It is about 2-3cm wide, and takes up the lower third or twothirds
of the screen (sometimes the full height as well).

As far as I can tell (paranoid look crosses face), this problem affects
nothing else. This problem has started to occur since I installed the
aminetics board.

Is it likely to be a memory fault (if so, does anyone have a program which
will enable me to locate the bad chip - they are not (to say the least)
conveniently located for pulling and replacing-, or is it more likely to be
some bussloading problem which is affecting the display (I guess this is a
nicer scenario if the problem only affects the video display).

--
Any idea when this upgrade business is happening. I am thinking of getting a
2000 in addition to my 1000, but may be better off swapping the 1000 for a

Michael.Witbrock@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu
US Mail: Michael Witbrock
         Dept of Computer Science
         Carnegie Mellon University
         Pittsburgh PA 15213-6890
         USA
Telephone : (412) 268 3621 [Office]
            (412) 681 3806 [Home]

"Be good, be kind, in whatever you say and do, and remember: keep cool
till after school." (Ollie Olsen, Television New Zealand Kids Programme host
                      [Translated from sign language]                       ).

carolyn@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (05/18/87)

In article <57@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu> mjw@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Witbrock) writes:
>I have a problem with my computer. On two particularly hairy grapohics
>programs (MCAD12 and Jugglerdemo), a stripy (every second horizontal pixel
>(plus a few others)) pattern SOMETIMES appears about 3/4 of the way across
>my screen. It is about 2-3cm wide, and takes up the lower third or twothirds
>of the screen (sometimes the full height as well).
>
>As far as I can tell (paranoid look crosses face), this problem affects
>nothing else. This problem has started to occur since I installed the
>aminetics board.

   What you are seeing is the infamous SetPointer() to an array of zeros
(or whatevers) declared within the program.  By default, the hunks of
an executable are marked to load into MEMF_PUBLIC memory.  If there
is FAST ram available, the hunks will be loaded there (saving your
valuable CHIP memory for screens, etc.).  So... If the PROGRAM is loaded
into FAST mem, so is the array containing the new image for the pointer.
And the custom chips can not access it there so they end up seeing
some other memory totally unsuitable as a sprite definition.

   The first released version of the Juggler had this problem.  The later
release (also on a Fish disk) should not.  The usual fixes for executables
with similar problems are either run FixHunk on them (marks DATA hunks
for CHIP load) or use a utility that disables or hides FAST ram before

Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180