[comp.sys.amiga] Setfont 1.1 to Pearl crashes Preferences

chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) (05/20/87)

Hi guys and gals--
	Perhaps this is a well-known phenomenon, but not only did I not
know of it, I got bitten by it twice (Fool me once, shame on you; fool me
twice, shame on me).  Well I not only tracked it down again, I checked
it out on a (nearly) virgin copy of Workbench 1.2 without the assemblage
of PIPE:'s, morerows modified system-configurations, virtual disks,
and other garbage I usually have napping inside my machine, and which make
hunting down the source of a problem like this so much fun.  My system is
just a vanilla Amiga 1000 with Commodore's internal expansion to 512K, and
one external Commodore 3.5 drive, so at least I didn't have to worry to
much about add-ons.
	So try this experiment (comments are indented):
1) Have available a disk containing SetFont 1.1 (written with Andy Finkel's
help, sorry I can't remember the name of the other author) and a fonts
directory containing the necessary files for Pearl (namely, Pearl.font and
Pearl/8) or some other fixed width font of the same size.
    I would be interested in hearing about the results with other fonts
    whether of the same size or not, whether of fixed width or not, but I am
    trying to eliminate as many variables as possible.  If there is a later
    version of SetFont, I am unaware of it.  Perhaps the problem goes away.
1) Make a new copy of WB 1.2, boot up on it, and kill the startup-sequence
with ^D.  Use Preferences (don't worry, its OK) to select 80 characters
per line instead of 60.  Save you way out of Preferences.
    This may not be necessary, but was appropriate for the font with which I
    was testing (namely Pearl/8).
2) Reboot and kill the startup sequence again.
3) Assign fonts: to the fonts directory on the other disk.
4) Run SetFont -->   name_of_other_disk:SetFont Pearl 8 -r
    I usually set the font in the rastport instead of the screen.  Then I
    open and close a window (which has title bar in the new font).  When the
    window closes the my original CLI window also has its title bar in the new
    font (poof!).  However this opening and closing of windows is not
    necessary to our experiment.
    If I set the font only in the screen, with 'SetFont Pearl 8 -s',
    Preferences *seems* to be OK, but I have not tested extensively.
5) Run Preferences.  Change something (perhaps unnecessary, try some
variations).  Save.  No guru?  Lucky you.  Try again.
    I think it sometimes works for a while but maybe I've got some variation
    in the way I do things.  By the way, as I think of it, I usually change
    something on the Printer page since that's what I was trying to do when
    Mr. Guru dropped by.
    Subjectively, it seemed that the inclination of the system to crash got
    worse as I tried to rerun Preferences after rebooting, modifying things
    to try to track down the problem.  There were times I couldn't even
    Cancel my way out of Preferences without crashing.  I recopied Preferences
    and system-configuration from another disk, figuring they might be getting
    trashed, but the failures continued.  I disksalved the disk (twice).
    I even powered off once.  Same problems.  I knew I had had the problem
    before but couldn't remember what caused it.  I had been through all this
    before--argh.  Finally I remembered, SetFont back to topaz 8 (This was
    on a disk that had just been disksalv'ed and I'm not sure if the disksalv
    was necessary.), and Preferences was well-behaved again.  Note that I ran
    SetFont twice and all was well (apparently).  So if SetFont garbaged
    things up, it ungarbaged them as well.
    Finally this morning I tried the nominal copy of WB 1.2.  The Guru I got
    this morning was
		81000009.265F48F1
    which, if I read my 1.2 includes right, is the exec error 'freeing memory
    already freed'.
    By the way, after the Preferences window closed, but before Guru time,
    I noticed this morning that my CLI window's title was back in Topaz.

	So is this a problem with SetFont, Pearl, Preferences or what?
--
Charles Cleveland		EDU:  chas@ss.physics.gatech.edu
Georgia Tech School of Physics	UUCP: ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,

mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (05/21/87)

chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) writes:

>	So try this experiment (comments are indented):

[highly detailed instructions go here for setting up disk to test Pearl]

> 5) Run Preferences.  Change something (perhaps unnecessary, try some
> variations).  Save.  No guru?  Lucky you.  Try again.
>
> 	So is this a problem with SetFont, Pearl, Preferences or what?

Well, I just wanted to point out that Pearl is merely Topaz 8 that's
been run through the standard 1.2 Font Editor (on the Workbench Extras
disk) without any additional hoo-ha involved.  I haven't tried your
procedure yet, but I'm willing to bet the same problem will occur with
another Topaz-style (8x8 pixel fixed-width) font.

				--M
--

Mike Portuesi / Carnegie-Mellon University Computer Science Department
ARPA:	mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu	UUCP: {backbone-site}!spice.cs.cmu.edu!mjp

Amiga hackers do it graphically, with lots of sound effects.
Amiga users do it with their gadgets and proportional sliders.
Aztec will do it, but only if you make it long.
Workbench users would do it, but they need .info first.
CLI users can't do it...they're stuck in their Shell.
Metacomco did it to us with AmigaDOS.

"Mac owners dream in black and white, Atari owners dream in color...
but Amigoids dream using Hold and Modify!"

kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (05/21/87)

In article <117@gtss.UUCP>, chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) writes:
>         Perhaps this is a well-known phenomenon, but not only did I not
> know of it, I got bitten by it twice (Fool me once, shame on you; fool me
> twice, shame on me).
>
> [ ... ]
>
> 1) Have available a disk containing SetFont 1.1 (written with Andy Finkel's
> help, sorry I can't remember the name of the other author) and a fonts
> directory containing the necessary files for Pearl (namely, Pearl.font and
> Pearl/8) or some other fixed width font of the same size.

I'd given up playing with fonts, and was resigned to using Topaz, until I
came across v2.0 of Andy's SetFont program.  Seems like all the problems
and crashes that I had had with SetFont v1.1 are gone (well, v2.0 doesn't
crash *my* machine with "pearl" like v1.1 did, anyway).

Since I've not seen it posted to the net, here is the uuencoded executable
and documentation.  Sorry, I don't have (or at least can't find) the sources.

/kim

# This is a shell archive.  Remove anything before this line, then
# unpack it by saving it in a file and typing "sh file".  (Files
# unpacked will be owned by you and have default permissions.)
#
# This archive contains:
# setfont.uue setfont.doc

echo x - setfont.uue
cat > "setfont.uue" << '//E*O*F setfont.uue//'
begin 755 setfont
M   #\P         7         !8   !Q    ;@   ;@   "T          8
M   5               %    !@   !L              !0    (
M       %    %    #X    0         ^D   !Q(\\    <(\     D(\@
M   H0KD    @+'D    $(\X    $D\E.KO[:*$!*K "L9P  J&$  6P@; "L
MT<C1R"!H !#1R-'(2.<@,$7Y    K$?Y    +'0!<  0&";*8 (4V%'(__Q"
M&B Y    )"!Y    *!(84X!O'@P! "!O]%*")LI@"A(84X , 0 @;P04P6#R
M0AI@W$(:0IL@ DS?# 1(>0   "PO $ZY    '"/     $$ZY    +"/
M%"/     &$ZY   #B'  +GD    <3G5A  #&80  L"/     ($*G+P D0" J
M "1G$"QY    ""! (B@  $ZN_X(B*@ @9R@D/    ^U.KO_B(\     0(\
M   4(\     89PKEB"! *6@ " "D3KD   .(< !@!" O  0N>0   !PO "QY
M    !" Y    "&<"(D!.KOYB2KD    @9PY.KO]\(GD    @3J[^AB ?3G5(
MYP$&+CP  X '+'@ !$ZN_Y1,WV" <&1@L$'L %Q.KOZ 0>P 7$ZN_HQ.=4*Y
M    "$/Y   !K" \    'DZN_=@CP     AGMDYU      /L    &@    $
M  &Z   !J@   :0   %J   !7@   5    %"   !(@   1P   $6    ]@
M .0   #4    Q@   ,    "T    I@   '(   !L    5    $X    @
M%     X    (     @    (    "    S    30    !    $P   +H    !
M    $P   *X        #\     )N;T1/4P       78    ",20W-3(
M  !D     C$D-S4X       !6     (R)#<U,@       &(    ",R0W-3(
M      !V     C0D-S4R        B     (U)#<U,@       )(    "<W1A
M<G1U<            C8D-S4R        E@    )O<&5N1$]3     :(    "
M7V5X:70       $\     F9R;VU#3$D     -     -E>&ET5&]$3U,
M  %R    !&9R;VU7;W)K8F5N8V@       #:     F1O8V]N<P     !!
M  )D;VUA:6X      3(    "=V%I=&US9P    &0     G!A<FU%>&ET
MF@    )E>&ET,@       4         #\@   ^H   !N  $
M              !D;W,N;&EB<F%R>0    /P     W)E='5R;DUS9P
M "     "7W-T9&5R<@     8     E]S=&1O=70     %     -A<F=V0G5F
M9F5R      "L     D1/4TYA;64    !K     )?4WES0F%S90    0    "
M7V5R<FYO       ,     V%R9W9!<G)A>0       "P    #9&]S0VUD0G5F
M        *     -I;FET:6%L4U         <     V1O<T-M9$QE;@
M "0    "7W-T9&EN       0     E]$3U-"87-E    "     )697)2978
M               #\@   ^D   &X0J=(>0   &Y.N0   .!0CR/      $J
M9@1P $YU0J=(>0   '].N0   .!0CR/     !$J 9@1P $YU0J=(>0   )!.
MN0   .!0CR/     "$J 9@1P $YU0J<O.0   &)P_R\ 2'D   "B3KD   "L
M3^\ $$J 9P1P $YU</\O $ZY    1%B/('D    N$4  #PP   !D!'  3G5"
MITZY    ,%B/('D    N(4  $"! $B@ " P!  UG!'  3G5P 4YU('D   !B
M2J@ %&<L<  @>0   "X0*  /#(#_____9PHO $ZY    6%B/+SD   !B3KD
M  #,6(]*N0    AG#B\Y    "$ZY    F%B/2KD    $9PXO.0    1.N0
M )A8CTJY     &<.+SD     3KD   "86(].=4Y6__:1R"\(< @O "U(__9.
MN0    !0CRU __9*K@ ,9@@]?  (__Y@$"\N  Q.N0    !8CSU __XO+@ (
M3KD     6(]<@$*G+P!.N0    !0CR\N  @O "U __I.N0    !0CTAY
ML2\N__I.N0    !0CR!N__8@KO_Z,6[__@ $<  10  &$4  !R (3EY.=4Y6
M  !*K@ (9@1.7DYU(&X ""\03KD     6(\O "!N  @O$$ZY    &%"/< @O
M "\N  A.N0   !A0CTY>3G5.5O_XD<@O/  !  !P1"\ +4C_^"U(__Q.N0
M  !0CRU __Q*@&8&< !.7DYU+SP  0  <"0O $ZY     %"/+4#_^$J 9A9P
M1"\ +R[__$ZY    &%"/< !.7DYU(&[__-#\ !0@"")N__PC0  *(TD %" N
M__CDB"-  "AP&2-  !P@"4Y>3G5.5O_P2.< ()'()&X "")J ! D:0"D+4C_
M\"U(__0M2O_\M?P     9@H@"$S?! !.7DYU80#_0"U __1*@&8*< !,WP0
M3EY.=2!N__0A;@ ( !@@*  HY8 O""\N__PM0/_X3KD   !L4(\O+@ (3KD
M  "$6(\@;O_X+6@ '/_P<"0O "\(3KD    84(]P1"\ +R[_]$ZY    &%"/
M("[_\$S?! !.7DYU3E;__"\N  A.N0    !8CRU __Q*@&<$3EY.=2\N  A.
MN0   !A8CRU __Q*@&<$3EY.=7  3EY.=4Y6_^IP $*N__(]0/_V/4#_^#U
M__H]0/_\#*X    !  AF"CU\  '__&   )XB;@ ,(&D !! 0#   /V8  (Q(
M>0   +=.N0    !8CTAY    U$ZY     %B/2'D   $'3KD     6(](>0
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M   "ADZY     $_O  QP "!N__(0*  &<@ 2*  '+P$O $AY   "G4ZY
M $_O  QA /LT0J=.N0   #Q8CR!N  PO*  (+R@ !&$ ^Y90CR\ +4#_\F$
M_998CRU _^Y*@&8H2'D   *S3KD     6(\O+O_R80#\ %B/80#ZZ' *+P!.
MN0   #Q8CTIN__AG,B)Y    9B!I "XM: "(_^K0_ !4+R[_[B\(3KD
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M   $.@  !"P   0>   $$   ! (   /T   #Y@   ]@   /*   !J@   30
M  $L   !'@   18   $(   !     /(   #6    R    *H   ",    :
M %X   !.    0    #     B    $@    0    #    %     H    H
M1@    $    4    ;@    $    4    A     $    4    H@    $    4
M    Z@    $    4    ^     ,    4   !#@   20   $Z    !    !0
M  %4   !D    C(   )2     0    L   %R     @    H   &"   ![@
M  $    )   !H@    $    %   !M     4    4   !_@   @X   )J   #
M+    SP    !    %    P@    !    %    Q0    !    $@   U@    !
M    %0   W     .    #P   ]    />   #[    _H   0(   $%@  !"0
M  0R   $0   !3@   5D   %B   !<P   :Z    !0   !,   1,   %)
M!9@   7F   &U     (    5   &#@  !IP    #    %0  !AX   :L   &
MQ@    $    &   &0@        /R   #Z@   +0
M      0       #_         "0         (       #
M        #                                            #(
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M>71H:6YG(&ES('-E="X* %-E=$9O;G0@,BXP(&)Y($1A=F4@2&%Y;FEE"@H
M4V-R965N($9O;G0Z("5S("@E;&0I( !3='EL92 E;&0L($9L86=S("5L9 H
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M   #ZP        /R   #Z0    4@;P $(F\ "!#99OP@+P $3G4      _(
M  /I    !B!O  1*&&;\D>\ !)'\     2 (3G4      _(   /I    &TY6
M__A(YR,$*FX "'X ?  0%0P  "!F!%*-8/00%0P  "UF!%*-? $0%0P  #!M
M)@P  #EN(" '(@?C@20'YX+2@A052()(PE*-TH($@0   # N 6#22H9G!B '
M1(!@ B '3-\@Q$Y>3G4      _(   /J         _(   /K         _(
M  /I    %$CG #HH;P 4(&\ &")O !Q%^@ Z3^__="9/+'D    $3J[]]G#_
M2AM7R/_\1H!G$B\ 2&\ !$A43KD     3^\ #$_O (Q,WUP 3G46P$YU   #
M[     $    3    .@        /P     W!S7V-O;6UO;@       #     "
M<'-?<VEZ90     F     E]?9&]P<FYT          )P<U]E;7!T>0   $(
M   #<W1U9F9#:&%R        3     )S8U]P=70      $P        #\@
M ^D    (+P(D+P (2&\ #"\"+SD    43KD     3^\ #"0?3G4   /L
M 0    X    4     0    $    .         _     !+DPQ     !P    !
M+DPR      8    !+DPS           !+DPT      (    "7W!R:6YT9@
M             _(   /J         _(   /I         _(   /I    !2\.
M+'D    $(&\ "$ZN_^(L7TYU   #[     $    #    !         /P
M!%]/<&5N1&ES:T9O;G0                  _(   /I    %$CG, (L>0
M  A,[P . !!.KO_03-] #$YU   O#BQY    "$ZN_\HL7TYU+PXL>0    A.
MKO_$+%].=2\.+'D    ((B\ "$ZN_W L7TYU   #[     0    !    !@
M "     P    0         /P     E]7<FET90            )?26YP=70
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MKOX^+%].=2\.+'D    $(F\ "" O  Q.KOW8+%].=0   ^P    +     0
M  0    <    -    $@   !<    <    (@   "<    L    -    #D
M     _     #7T%L;&]C365M              )?1G)E94UE;0   !@    #
M7T9I;F1487-K        ,     -?06QL;V-3:6=N86P   !$     U]&<F5E
M4VEG;F%L     %@    "7U!U=$US9P    !L     U]786ET4&]R=
M (0    $7T-L;W-E3&EB<F%R>0       )@    #7T]P96Y$979I8V4
MK     -?0VQO<V5$979I8V4   #,     U]/<&5N3&EB<F%R>0   .
M   #\@   ^D    0+PXL>0     B;P ((&\ #$ZN_[XL7TYU+PXL>0     @
M;P (3J[_N"Q?3G4O#BQY     ")O  A.KO^R+%].=0   ^P    #     P
M  0    <    ,         /P     E]3971&;VYT          -?3W!E;D9O
M;G0        8     U]#;&]S949O;G0      "P        #\@   ^H
M   #\@   _(   /R   #\@   _(   /R   #\@   _(   /R   #\@   _(
M  /R   #\@   _(   /R   #\@   _(   /R   #\@   _(   /R   #\@
B _(   /R   #\@   _(   /R   #\@   _(   /R   #\O(

end
//E*O*F setfont.uue//

echo x - setfont.doc
cat > "setfont.doc" << '//E*O*F setfont.doc//'

                        SetFont 2.0

                by Dave Haynie (Hazy)
                        CIS:    76703,2047
                        Usenet: {allegra,caip,ihnp4}!cbmvax!daveh
                        Drink:  Guiness

   BUSINESS (MUNDANE, BUT IMPORTANT):

        This program is written by me, Dave Haynie, as mentioned above.
I have, however, placed it in the PUBLIC DOMAIN.  That, of course, means
that you can do (almost) absolutely anything with it.  You may hack it
to bits, include it with YOUR product, sell it, GIVE IT AWAY, or anything
else you like.  Of course, since anyone else can also give it away, it
would be foolish to stick your name on it and try to sell it.  I really
would like everyone to give it away, nicely, without being mean about it.
If you want to use it with your product, do that too, new products for
the Amiga are generally a good thing for the entire Amiga community.  You
can take bit and pieces and use them in your own programs, or the whole
thing for that matter.  And if you really want to have fun, you can even
IMPROVE this program, as its far from perfect, and give YOUR version
away too, if you're so inclined.  That's about it for the (mundane)
business section, let's get on to the (interesting) notes section.

CHANGES FROM SetFont 1.0

        SetFont 2.0's main improvement is that it allows the individual
font of a CLI window to be changed without changing the font of the entire
WorkBench Screen.  The old SetFont would change the default font descriptor
of the WorkBench screen, which is where most new programs get their fonts.
This was useful in that a font so set would be inhereted by new WorkBench
applications, like new CLIs, Word Processors, Terminal Programs, and just
about anything run on the WorkBench Screen (as opposed to a custom screen).
What the old version doesn't do is change JUST the font of the current CLI.
The new version does this.  I've thrown in the capability to also change
the default title font of the screen (based on the screen's RastPort);
this isn't incredibly useful, but it was very little extra code in addition
to the two more useful functions.

WHAT IT DOES

        This function changes the default fonts of the Amiga's WorkBench
screen or an Amiga CLI window.  This allows programs like CLI, etc. to use a
font other than one specified by Preferences.  This change isn't perfect, but
it is useful.  The program is used as:

        SetFont [fontname [points [place]]

Where the "fontname" is a normal Amiga font, "points" is the font's point
size, and place is currently one of:

        SCREEN          The WorkBench Screen, ala SetFont 1.0
        TITLES          The WorkBench Screen's Titles
        WINDOW          The current CLI window

Setting the screen will essentially set the default font for newly created
windows.  Setting the title font will set the text displayed for window
titles and things like that.  This will look really ugly and generally not
work very well if it is set to a font taller than the current screen font.
Finally, setting the WINDOW font will set only the font of the calling CLI
window.  This will also clear the screen, which is required to fully set
the font on an open console window.  If no place is supplied, all three
fonts are set.  Examples are:

        SetFont                         (Displays current screen font)
        SetFont ?                       (Displays help text)
        SetFont topaz                   (Sets font "topaz 8" everywhere)
        SetFont ruby 12                 (Sets font "ruby 12" everywhere)
        SetFont topaz 11 SCREEN         (Sets font "topaz 11" on screen)
        SetFont thin 7 TITLES WINDOW    (Sets font "thin 7" on CLI and titles)

        This program has a few limitations.  First of all, some programs
don't support fonts other than the 80 column, 8x8 cell "topaz 8" font,
which is a default ROM font.  If you're a 60 column user, you've probably
experienced this before.  Its not a problem with the Amiga as a whole, since
most of the system will adjust itself.  But it may be a problem with programs
that have a fixed idea of what a font should look like.  Most 80 column fonts
work with most applications, and an 80 column 8x8 font will work just about
everywhere.  Some programs, like CLI for instance, have trouble with
proportionally-spaced fonts.  This is a "bug" or "feature" of the Amiga
text display software, which is doing large amounts of spacing when only
one character in a proportional font is displayed at a time.  The best thing
to do is try out the font you like.

        To use SetFont as a means of changing most of the default fonts
during a session, insert it in your "s:Startup-Sequence" file, as:

        SetFont topaz 11
        LoadWB
        EndCLI >nil:

or something that (SetFont topaz 11 SCREEN TITLES would work just as well).

        One final problem is that some applications ask the WorkBench screen
to close when they start up.  It'll close if there's nothing else open on it,
but when it re-opens, it'll restart with the Preferences-selected font, not
the SetFont selected font.  Of course, Preferences't support arbitrary fonts
(which is why this program is even necessary).  Oh well, maybe in 1.3?  The
simplest way to prevent this is to leave some kind of window open, which will
prevent any other application from closing the WorkBench screen.  Of course,
if you need the memory that closing the WorkBench screen gives you, this
would not be a good thing to do.

//E*O*F setfont.doc//

echo Possible errors detected by \'wc\' [hopefully none]:
temp=/tmp/shar$$
trap "rm -f $temp; exit" 0 1 2 3 15
cat > $temp <<\!!!
    154   1095   9374 setfont.uue
    107    891   5510 setfont.doc
    261   1986  14884 total
!!!
wc  setfont.uue setfont.doc | sed 's=[^ ]*/==' | diff -b $temp -
exit 0

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb,cbosgd}!amdahl!kim

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (05/21/87)

In article <117@gtss.UUCP> chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) writes:
>1) Have available a disk containing SetFont 1.1 (written with Andy Finkel's
>help, sorry I can't remember the name of the other author) and a fonts
It probably only uses my trick for finding the window;  I haven't
released my own SetFont (since there were immediately 2 others out there)

>	So is this a problem with SetFont, Pearl, Preferences or what?
There's probably a disagreement between SetFont and Intuition (and Preferences)
as to who has to Close the font and free the memory for the DiskFont
structure.  The only way to answer is to find out which SetFont you're
using, and check it out.
>Charles Cleveland		EDU:  chas@ss.physics.gatech.edu

--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore/Amiga

"An end is always a new beginning." - Captain Cloud

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (05/21/87)

in article <6803@amdahl.amdahl.com>, kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) says:

| In article <117@gtss.UUCP>, chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) writes:
|| 1) Have available a disk containing SetFont 1.1 (written with Andy Finkel's
|| help, sorry I can't remember the name of the other author) and a fonts
|| directory containing the necessary files for Pearl (namely, Pearl.font and
|| Pearl/8) or some other fixed width font of the same size.
|
| I'd given up playing with fonts, and was resigned to using Topaz, until I
| came across v2.0 of Andy's SetFont program.  Seems like all the problems
                      ^^^^^^
Seesh!  This guys gets all the credit :-)!  I wrote SetFont 2.0, as anyone
who de-arcs the stuff posted by Kim.  This replaced a previous version of
my SetFont, which didn't do quite as much as the current version.

| and crashes that I had had with SetFont v1.1 are gone (well, v2.0 doesn't
| crash *my* machine with "pearl" like v1.1 did, anyway).

I didn't write this 1.1 version, and I don't believe 2.0 ever got posted to
the nets before, so this is a good thing (thanks, Kim).

| Since I've not seen it posted to the net, here is the uuencoded executable
| and documentation.  Sorry, I don't have (or at least can't find) the sources.
| /kim

I'll see if I can find the original sources and post 'em here when I do.

--
Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh
"The A2000 Guy"                    BIX   : hazy

chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) (05/22/87)

In article <6803@amdahl.amdahl.com> kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>In article <117@gtss.UUCP>, chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) writes:
>>         Perhaps this is a well-known phenomenon, but not only did I not
>I'd given up playing with fonts, and was resigned to using Topaz, until I
>came across v2.0 of Andy's SetFont program.  Seems like all the problems
>and crashes that I had had with SetFont v1.1 are gone (well, v2.0 doesn't
>crash *my* machine with "pearl" like v1.1 did, anyway).
Thanks Kim.  I immediately implememted your version.  However, the name in
your docs is Dave Haynie (Andy F. is nowhere mentioned) whereas the SetFont 1.1
I had was from M. McInerny.  Anyway, while the docs for Setfont 2.0 (Haynie)
say
	One final problem is that some applications ask the WorkBench screen
    to close when they start up.  It'll close if there's nothing else open on
    it, but when it re-opens, it'll restart with Preferences-selected font, not
    the SetFont selected font....  The simplest way to prevent this is to leave
    some ... window open, which will preven other application from closing
    the WorkBench screen....
in fact Preferences still wipes out all choices (WINDOW TITLES SCREEN) offered
by SetFonts 2.0 (Haynie) except WINDOW as far as I can tell so far, even if
an extra window is left open before Preferences is called.  I can't believe
Preferences tries to close WorkBench.

But what the hell, 2.0 (Haynie) hasn't crashed my machine yet.

--

kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (05/22/87)

In article <1911@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
> in article <6803@amdahl.amdahl.com>, kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) says:
> | I'd given up playing with fonts, and was resigned to using Topaz, until I
> | came across v2.0 of Andy's SetFont program.  Seems like all the problems
>                       ^^^^^^
> Seesh!  This guys gets all the credit :-)!  I wrote SetFont 2.0, as anyone
> who de-arcs the stuff posted by Kim.  This replaced a previous version of
> my SetFont, which didn't do quite as much as the current version.

Arrrgh ... my most profound and humble apologies, Dave!  As atonement for
my blunder, I will fire up YOMM (Ye Ol' MS-DOS Machine) this weekend, and
do all my work on a single-tasking machine!  Hope you agree that the
punishment is in line with the crime.

Dunno how that happened, 'specially since I looked thru the object code
and most certainly saw *your* name in the embedded copyright notice.
Well, at least I got the sex correct, and there *are* the same number
of letters in both names ... :-)

> I'll see if I can find the original sources and post 'em here when I do.

That'd be nice.  I came across your version on the BlitzFonts disk that Hayes
ships out when one registers with him.  He only distributed the executable
and doc.

Thanks alot for a real useful utility, Dave!

/kim