[comp.sys.amiga] Nomination for Game of the Year

Well I picked up the Amiga version of StarGlider today at the local
Amiga dealer. If you haven't seen the Atari version then allow me to
describe it ...

You are in the cockpit of a laser equipped vehicle (the StarGlider)
which also has 1 or 2 guided missles. The 'scenery' is similar to
that in the Atari Coin-Op 'Star Wars'. The figures are wire frame
drawings (however unlike Star Wars hidden lines *are* removed).
You pilot your ship around in this universe shooting and destroying
bad guys. There are several ground and air based enimies. These range
from slow moving blue 'tanks' to some fairly fast flying birds (yes
their wings flap). The animation is smoother than the Atari version
(it is even smoother than the Star Wars game) and definitly gives
good feel for the motion involved.

The documentation is sparse and intertwined with actual versus fictional
instructions. (eg to refuel your energy, the instructions state you should
dock at several types of bases. They state you should not 'as some hot shot
pilots have tried.' to refuel by flying a power grid. Can you guess which
one you have to use to refuel?) The Copy protection is 'keyword in the
manual' type and they urge you to make a backup copy of your original
disk. High scores are written to a separate disk. This game takes over
the entire machine although it does use fast ram and the refresh rate
improves if it is available. Play ability is good and just flying around
the 'universe' is enjoyable. Be sure to dock at the base and 'interrogate'
the computer for the low down on which shapes are what...

--Chuck McManis

spierce@pnet01.CTS.COM (Stuart Pierce) (05/21/87)

I'm glad to see good games for the Amiga like Starglider, but I was a little
disturbed by something the author said.  He was quoted as saying that he could
have made the Amiga version 'radically' better than the Atari version.  But he
didn't.  He is saving himself for his next project, now known as Starglider
Two.

In article <1124@crash.CTS.COM> spierce@pnet01.CTS.COM (Stuart Pierce) writes:
> I'm glad to see good games for the Amiga like Starglider, but I was a little
> disturbed by something the author said.  He was quoted as saying that he could
> have made the Amiga version 'radically' better than the Atari version.  But he
> didn't.  He is saving himself for his next project, now known as Starglider
> Two.

	Well, could be, but on the other hand, remember that there are little
	things like learning the Amiga and delivering a salable product that
	need to be factored into the equation.  One can't work on a single
	project until it's everything it could possibly be, and then deliver
	it n-years later.

	BTW, the author frequents the amiga related groups on BIX from time
	to time...

spietrow@atlas.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz) (05/25/87)

in article <1124@crash.CTS.COM>, spierce@pnet01.CTS.COM (Stuart Pierce) says:

> I'm glad to see good games for the Amiga like Starglider, but I was a little
> disturbed by something the author said.  He was quoted as saying that he could
> have made the Amiga version 'radically' better than the Atari version.  But he
> didn't.  He is saving himself for his next project, now known as Starglider
> Two.

I spoke with the author, Jeremy (Jez) San, last night about this.  He said
that he is already working on Starglider II, and that SG II will use solids
instead of the wire framed stuff in SG I.  Firebird (the people who ship
SG out to the masses) wouldn't let him do it for SG I.  ....probably because
of the time he would have needed.  Jez said not to expect SG II until at
least September.

He also said that they were working on some really great things, so expect
more news about what he's doing around July or so.  (I think that's when they're
going to make another announcement).

------
Steve Pietrowicz      PeopleLink: CBM*STEVE
`