[comp.sys.amiga] Flaming was: BCPL/AmigaDOS

foy@aero.ARPA (Richard Foy) (05/28/87)

In article <1938@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:

>..... flame content is rather high. ...

>don't set the paper on fire, please, send it along.  I've been saving
>all the suggestions, comments, etc. that have come by on the net,
>and many will be adressed in the next release.
>
>Here's hoping your next posting doesn't come across like we injured
>your gold fish...
>			andy finkel

I purchased my Amiga just a few months ago. I am not a programmer. I don't
know C. The Amiga and its libraries are very sophisticated.

By reading this net and getting bunches of Fish disks I am overcoming those
obstacles to creating my own things on the Amiga.

The large amount of flames and DESTRUCTIVE criticism of Commodore management
slow down my reading of this net. I can tolerate that. But!

Commodore management must have A LOT MORE SMARTS than most people give them
credit for. They ALLOW andy and carolyn and george and others to provide the
readers of this net with excellent assistance. They DELIVERED the Amiga 1000.

What has Big Blue done will all there vast resources. What has Atari done
with their marketing ability.

I hope that Commodore has enough cash flow that they can put a BIG advertizing
campaign behind the 500 and the 2000. If they do, I won't worry about the
possibility of having an orphan.

Richard Foy, Redondo Beach, CA
The opinions I have expressed are the result of many years in the school of
hard knocks. Thus they are my own.

ed@plx.UUCP (Ed Chaban) (05/29/87)

In article <11962@aero.ARPA>, foy@aero.ARPA (Richard Foy) writes:

> Commodore management must have A LOT MORE SMARTS than most people give them
> credit for. They ALLOW andy and carolyn and george and others to provide the
                   ^^^^^
> readers of this net with excellent assistance. They DELIVERED the Amiga 1000.
						      ^^^^^^^^^
	What's this ALLOW stuff? As I see it, this is the ONLY way
	Amiga can *AFFORD* to provide support for the developers
	whose *SOFTWARE SELLS THE GODDAMN MACHINE*

	As for "Delivered" the Amiga 1000,"left out on the doorstep"
	is a better description.  A kludged shifted-pointer-proprietary
	Multi-Tasking Operating System unfamilar to most programmers
	is a LOUSY environment to do development in.  The lack of
	a Bus standard for many months F*cked things up even more.

	Fact:

	Big Time software developers cannot afford to train
	their staff to work in a new Operating System environment
	for a machine which makes up a TINY portion on the Personal
	Computer market. No return on investment, Kapeesh?

> What has Big Blue done will all there vast resources. What has Atari done
> with their marketing ability.

	Is that a question? OK, Here goes:

		Big Blue (despised though she may be) remains a
		cornerstone in the marketplace. The stupidity
		of your question becomes evident when you examine
		the answer: BIG BLUE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ENTIRE
		INSTALLED BASE OF PEE-CEES AND CLONES!

		Can you say "Millions of Machines"?
		I Knew you could

> I hope that Commodore has enough cash flow that they can put a BIG advertizing
> campaign behind the 500 and the 2000. If they do, I won't worry about the
> possibility of having an orphan.

	Advertising will *NOT* sell the Amiga. SOFTWARE will
	sell the machine. That is the most important principle
	in marketing a computer system designed for the mass
	market.

	Sorry if I leaned on you a little heavily, after all
	your IBM question WAS pretty stupid don't you think?

	Wouldn't you rather that Amiga spend the money on
	improving the Sellability of the machine by providing
	an environment where software can migrate from UNIX
	systems without considerable rewrites?

-ed-