[comp.sys.amiga] disk drives

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (06/01/87)

joemu@nscpdc.NSC.COM (Joe Mueller) wrote:
>other is that while doing something that accesses the disk a lot, I get a
>requestor that says I have a read/write error. If I ask AmigaDOS to retry
>it always works so it looks like some type of timing problem.

The first version of the CLtd harddisk.device did this from time to time
too.  At first I thought it was a bus/timing problem with the interface,
but CLtd came out with a new version of the driver (I downloaded it from
People/Link, CLtd didn't tell me about it) and have only seen it once
since then.  So I would guess it's not your PAL but is the driver.

The other day I turned on my system after it had been powered off for
about 3-4 days (hey, I've been a busy guy, ok?) -- It's been pretty hot
and muggy the past week, although the Amiga never sees direct sunlight.
Anyway, I got a "Error Validating Disk --- Key Error" (or something)
requestor, and my heart went into my throat.  I clicked the "Cancel"
gadget (button?) about 500 times, because I didn't want to face the
fact that my disk was trashed.  Finally I clicked "Retry", which gave
me the message I didn't want to see:  That my disk was corrupted, and
I had to use DISKDOCTOR to fix it.

I refused, rebooted the Amiga and everything came up fine.  Don't know
if it was the driver, the interface or the media, but everything seems
to be OK now.  Lemme find 30 disks to back this guy up...

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.   page@ulowell.{uucp,edu,csnet}