[comp.sys.amiga] A walk in the PARC

denbeste@cc5.bbn.com.BBN.COM (Steven Den Beste) (05/30/87)

SMALLTALK (predecessor of the MAC and of WORKBENCH, among other things).

They realized that they had something truly special - a revolutionary
approach to human/computer interfaces, and that it would go right
into the toilet unless it got widespread industry acceptance fast.

They therefore chose six (I think, but it may have been five) companies
and gave them unlimited rights to all the development they had done, and
asked them (nay, begged them) to develop products with it. Tektronix
was one of them. I think Apple was another.

I just read an article from Chuck McManis who (if I am not oversensitive)
implied that Apple stole the concept - that is far from the truth.

Incidentally, the only one of the Xerox products I have used (the Star)
is significantly worse than the MAC, or the Amiga. Their version of a
word processing program required far too fine of hand motion - non-surgeons
would find it almost impossible to use (as I did). Specifically, they didn't
use the "sweep" mechanism to describe areas to move. Instead, on the left
side of a line was a place to land the mouse that indicated "the line".
The problem was at the beginning of a paragraph - You could land on the
first character, the first word, the line or the paragraph itself - and all
these (nonlabelled!) hot spots were within a few millimeters of each other
in terms of hand movement. Eeek.

Anyway, so far as I know, Xerox makes no claim to exclusivity to the Smalltalk
concept, and neither wants nor gets any royalties for it. I myself only
feel resentment when I hear people who think that Apple invented all of this!
(Not at Apple, at the historical-illiterates who don't know any better...)

Quick, Nurse, my Valium!

--

     Steven Den Beste
     Bolt Beranek & Newman, Cambridge MA

"The voice within the candle whispers of a timeless peace beyond." - Paul Winter

denbeste@cc5.bbn.com.BBN.COM (Steven Den Beste) (05/30/87)

[Sorry, folks, I got nailed by the lineeater again. When will I learn??]

I worked at Tektronix when PARC was developing what they referred to as
[...]

[Warning, strong OPINIONS ahead, nothing personal y'all]

In article <1439@cc5.bbn.com.BBN.COM> (Steven Den Beste) writes:
>I just read an article from Chuck McManis who (if I am not oversensitive)
>implied that Apple stole the concept - that is far from the truth.

Oops, I should have been more clear. The story I have heard is that Steve
Wozniak took a tour of the PARC facilities and liked what he saw. That
vision later became the Macintosh user interface. It was 'stolen' only
in the fact that it used a 'desktop' metaphor, mouse pointer to icons,
had a lot of the same 'feel' at the Alto and 8010's had at the time, and
was developed after Apple had seen the stuff at PARC.

>Anyway, so far as I know, Xerox makes no claim to exclusivity to the Smalltalk
>concept, and neither wants nor gets any royalties for it. I myself only
>feel resentment when I hear people who think that Apple invented all of this!
>(Not at Apple, at the historical-illiterates who don't know any better...)

They don't, at least I haven't heard them sue anybody over this stuff yet.
Two things *really* irritated me about Apple. The first was those 'historical-
illiterates' [Ed. Should that be hysterical?] Who expound on how the Macintosh
is/was/and will be the originator, designer of the true user interface. Apple
does not seem to correct them so I can only suppose they would like this
misconception to persist. The second thing was the way they went after
Digital Research for the GEM interface. They may have been completely within
their legal right to do so (I have heard it debated both ways) but from
where I was sitting they appeared to be extremely arrogant and dastardly.
I decided right then and there I would never buy anything from Apple nor
would I write any code that worked on an Apple product. Consider it one
man's protest against a computer company.

>Incidentally, the only one of the Xerox products I have used (the Star)
>is significantly worse than the MAC, or the Amiga. ...
>     Steven Den Beste

Well have you ever used the Mesa development environment (at one time
known as XDE) ? That was something that continues to work well on the
Xerox machine. Strangely enough it has a lot of similarities to the
Amiga interface, only when it caught a bug you were dropped into
CoPilot which was a powerful debugger, rather than RomWack which is
nice but leaves a bit to be desired. They also used Pop-Up menus like
rather than pull down menus. Of course not many people besides Xerox
use Mesa, Modula-2 has some of the flavor of Mesa, but it isn't the
same.

--Chuck McManis