[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore starts advertising again

papa@uscacsc.UUCP (06/02/87)

Today I was surprised to see two Commodore ads in the last (June 2)
issue of PC Week.  One add concerns the Commodore PC-10 "clone killer",
priced at $899.  The second one is the first Amiga 500 and 2000 ad that
I have seen. I reports about the "phenomenal profits" that two
Amiga dealers have made selling the Amiga 1000.   It has both an Amiga 2000
and an Amiga 500 in the ad, with pictures titled "Sales incentives by
Territory" by Kara Blohm and "Glacial Exploits" by Richard Payne.  It says
TWICE that the Amiga 500 is priced "under $700".  There is NO mention of
the Amiga 2000 price.

-- Marco

Marco Papa            3175 S. Hoover St., Ste. 275            (213)669-1497
                         Los Angeles, CA 90007           USC: (213)743-3752
                             F E L S I N A
Now working for                 :::::::                           BIX: papa
But in no way                   ::   ::
Officially representing         :::::::             ...!oberon!uscacsc!papa
                            S O F T W A R E                papa@cse.usc.edu

bryce@COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (06/02/87)

>--------
> Today I was surprised to see two Commodore ads in the last (June 2)
> issue of PC Week.  One add concerns the Commodore PC-10 "clone killer",
> priced at $899.

I saw this add in Infoworld, it has the #DEFINE *STUPIDEST* slogan to rear it's
ugly head in quite a while:

	"It's not a clone, it's a Commodore!"

Arrghhh!  No kidding, but you don't need to rub it in.

No, it IS a clone, with few special features at that.  Sure it is over two
years old, but 4.77 Mz??!!
Commodore needs to present a more coherent face to the rest of the world.  More
needs to be spend on R&D. (particularly on improving the Amiga :-)  Special
"hand-holding" service agreements need to be offered for the "Clone Killer"
AND the Amiga so that a person can justify the purchase without feeling "left
                       ^ non-technical/non-hacker type
out in the cold".  This service agreement should cost the customer EXTRA and
should provide an immediate loaner when used for repairs.  Quick repair with
NO hassles.

>---------
> ...the Amiga 500...

Glad to see adds, directed a dealers no less.  Good job.  If adds can be as
effective as Atari's AND be selling the far superior Amiga...

>---------
BTW: I actually liked one of Commodore's previous slogans, that went:

	"The more things change, the more they stay the same."

Think about it.
-------------
         Ack!  (NAK,EOT,SOH)
 |\ /|  .
 {o O} .  bryce@cogsci.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!cogsci!bryce
 ( " )    "The future is not what it used to be"
   U      Single tasking?  Just say *NO!*

ali@rocky.UUCP (06/03/87)

In article bryce@COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:
>> Today I was surprised to see two Commodore ads in the last (June 2)
>> issue of PC Week.
>Glad to see adds, directed a dealers no less.  Good job.  If adds can be as
>effective as Atari's AND be selling the far superior Amiga...

Last night at FAUG,  I got to see some of Allen Hastings' (I hope I got the
name spelled right) VideoScape 3d video demos, for the first time. He showed
us a one minute movie, recorded on VCR, and it blew everyone away. It
was *wonderful*. Creating the files on disk apparently took him about a week
and a half, and putting them on VCR another 2 hours. And, what's better,
the images were generated in real time on the Amiga, so you don't need a
single-frame VCR.

My point isn't about VideoScape 3d, though. Also at FAUG we got to see some
computer generated commercials and cuts done by some companies... They
were very impressive, true, and we could see ray-tracing happen in a
matter of seconds instead of minutes or hours... BUT, we also heard how
much these commercials and stuff cost --- $5000 - $10000 a second. Of
course they'll cost that much --- It takes thousands of man and probably
hundreds of computer hours (on a Cray, even) to generate those things.

Allen Hastings' video ended with a screen that said "These images were
recorded from a one megabyte Amiga in real time" (not exact quote, but
close enough). Now, the video we saw last night make such a perfect
one minute TV ad for the Amiga! For one minute, you see these computer
generated planes and spaceships flying around, and it looks very much
like it could've been done on a Cray. People will watch that --- with
curiosity. Then you have the last screenful --- Yes, this was generated on
a machine YOU CAN AFFORD. Wouldn't that make an effective TV ad?
And Commodore would not have to go and pay $600,000 to get the videos
prepared on some Cray.

Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu