[comp.sys.amiga] Cmd - Redirects serial or parallel to a file

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (05/28/87)

   A while back there were some requests for the ability to capture printer
output in a file.  At the time, I thought it would require a new printer
device, but later I thought of another way to do it.  I called it Cmd
(same name as the command on our 8-bits for redirecting output).

   I've been working on this thing in my spare time for almost two
months.  Sorry it took so long, but I don't get much spare time.
Since glory is my only reward, I've been in a panic, that like Leo,
I would be beaten to the punch.  So I'm posting it here.

   I'll be posting 2 messages - one containing the sources and uuencoded
icon, the other the uuencoded icon and executable.  The icon already has
the ToolTypes args set up.  I tried to send them to amiga-binaries-request
and amiga-sources-request.  My path looked fine, but no luck.

   I'd like to thank Andy for his idea of temporarily replacing the Expunge
vector to protect my modified device from expungement between OpenDevice's.
Also for some spotting novice bugs in my assembler code.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

aburto@marlin.UUCP (05/30/87)

In article <1941@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) writes:

>   A while back there were some requests for the ability to capture printer
>output in a file.  At the time, I thought it would require a new printer
>device, but later I thought of another way to do it.  I called it Cmd
>(same name as the command on our 8-bits for redirecting output).
>
>   I've been working on this thing in my spare time for almost two
>months.  Sorry it took so long, but I don't get much spare time.
>Since glory is my only reward, I've been in a panic, that like Leo,
>I would be beaten to the punch.  So I'm posting it here.

	You do good work Carolyn Scheppner of CATS.
**

scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) (06/04/87)

[ Be careful Scotty, there be flame throwers in these woods ]

In article <979@marlin.UUCP> aburto@marlin.nosc.mil.UUCP (Alfred A. Aburto) writes:
>[repost of message from Carolyn ]
>	You do good work Carolyn Scheppner of CATS.
>**
While I have no problem with the idea of applauding authors for their work, I
do have a problem with two things in your posting:

1. MOST important, it contained no signature giving a non-domain route to you.
My machine has no knowledge of 'marlin'. Thus I had to post this publicly
rather than as the private E-Mail I tried to make it.

2. ALL your message said was "You do good...", it contained nothing of real
value to anyone else here in this newsgroup. I get all warm and cuddly over
private E-Mails that thank me for my efforts. I suspect that other authors
are the same.

If you want to thank an author in public why not slide it in with a posting
of value to others? And if you really can't wait, PLEASE don't repost most of
the original article so you can add on a one line "You do good..." message.
A shorter message will cost AT&T (and others) money, but it will help those
of us that pay the freight to save up for our A2000's.

Scott Turner
--
L5 Computing, the home of Merlin, Arthur, Excalibur and the CRAM.
GEnie: JST | UUCP: stride!l5comp!scotty | 12311 Maplewood Ave; Edmonds WA 98020