[comp.sys.amiga] ASDG Floppy Accelerator

kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (05/21/87)

[ Some days you eat the line ... some days the line eat's you ... ]

I just talked to Steve at Abel Supply in Tennessee about a couple of items,
and we got to chatting about various things, and somewhere along the way,
he mentioned that they would be getting ASDG's "Floppy Accelerator" in pretty
soon.

Not having heard of this product, I asked if it was h/w or s/w (we'd been
talking about h/w).  "Software", he replied ... "supposed to make floppy
accesses *much* faster".

So I ask ... has anyone one the net heard of the "Floppy Accelerator"?  Any
beta testers who care to comment (if they are permitted to)?  What's up,
Perry?

Further rumors:

As an aside, I asked if they had any word on A500/A2000 availability.
"Nothing official", was the reply, but they are guessing at June for the
A500, and August (sigh) for the A2000.

Digi-Paint from New-Tek should (finally) be shipping within 10 days.

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb,cbosgd}!amdahl!kim

In article <6805@amdahl.amdahl.com> (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>So I ask ... has anyone one the net heard of the "Floppy Accelerator"?  Any
>beta testers who care to comment (if they are permitted to)?  What's up,
>Perry?

We were discussing ways to speed up floppies on BIX and began hypothesizing
about a utility to cache tracks of a floppy in fast ram. It was pretty much
spec'd out how you would do it and Perry complained every time he figured
out a neat hack to make into a product everyone else did too. So I can put
2+2 together and guess that that is what he was talking about. Which brings
up two things of interest...

First the developer community is moving right along up the learning curve,
as they do the Amiga gets better and better. Every time I think I have to
totally whomp on the O/S to do something I find there is a 'nice' way to
do it. Thanks Dale, Carl, Bob, Rob, RJ, Bob, Bob, Sam, Jim, Neil, et al
for a very well thought out hacking path.

Second, I firmly believe that good programmers share a subconcious(sp?)
esp. Whenever one thinks of a good idea everyone seems to pick up on it
until everyone announces the same idea at the same time. It is really
weird.

--Chuck McManis

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (05/21/87)

in article <6805@amdahl.amdahl.com>, kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) says:

> So I ask ... has anyone one the net heard of the "[ASDG] Floppy Accelerator"?  Any
> beta testers who care to comment (if they are permitted to)?  What's up,
> Perry?

There was a thread about this going on in BIX awhile ago, at least I think
that's what this product refers to.  Simply put, its a program that adds
intelligent track caching (i.e. at the device level) instead to DOS's block
caching.  Also, the caching memory can be FAST memory; its not required to
be chip memory as are normal floppy buffers or DOS's block caches.  From
what Perry said, you have the power to add or remove caches at any time.
With enough tracks cached, you get what essentially amounts to a RAMdisk
overlay of a floppy disk.

--
Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh
"The A2000 Guy"                    BIX   : hazy

eric@hector.UUCP (05/22/87)

Kim -

 I have been using FACC for about 3 weeks now. It's made BBS-PC!
tolerable! Try calling JABS at 201-563-9057, I'm running it
completely on floppies using FACC - you'd think it was from a fast
hard disk!

Here's what's written on the back cover of the FACC package:

	FACC is a dynamically managed buffer cache which speeds access
	to your floppy disk drives. Unlike AddBuffers:

		o FACC fully supports fast memory so your buffer cache
		  will not use any valuable CHIP memory and can be as
		  large as you like ;

		o FACC allows dynamic control over it's buffers. Buffers
		  can be added or subtracted at will ;

		o FACC presents a graphic display detailing cache
		  effectiveness, allowing you to tailor cache size or
		  observe disk operations as they occur ;

		o FACC's display will shrink to a small size when
		  desired, to help keep your WorkBench uncluttered.

	Note:	While FACC will be of benefit to any and all Amiga owners,
		FACC will be of greatest service to owners of Amigas with
		more than 512K.

I think that describes the package quite well. The disk is *not* copy
protected (and says so on the package!). It's available now, ask your
dealer for it or contact ASDG directly.

Eric

ARPA:	Lavitsky@RED.RUTGERS.EDU
UUCP:	...{wherever!}ulysses!eric
	...{wherever!}rutgers!topaz!eric
SNAIL:	34 Maplehurst La., Piscataway, NJ 08854

scotty@l5comp.UUCP (05/25/87)

In article <2599@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> eric@hector (Eric Lavitsky) writes:
>	Note:	While FACC will be of benefit to any and all Amiga owners,
>		FACC will be of greatest service to owners of Amigas with
>		more than 512K.
Note: Unless it caches my HARD DISK drive it would be of little use to me...

Does it buffer the hard disk drive?

And if it doesn't, can I whip out a filezap and change the OpenDevice call to
open my hard disk driver instead?

And the guys at ASDG should note that the addbuffers for my hard disk come out
of FAST ram not CHIP ram. :) (Nothing special here, just setup my mountlist
for non-CHIP since the MicroForge uses the CPU to push the bits. And for those
that have asked, my MOUNTable MF driver will be up shortly)

Scott Turner

--
L5 Computing, the home of Merlin, Arthur, Excalibur and the CRAM.
GEnie: JST | UUCP: stride!l5comp!scotty | 12311 Maplewood Ave; Edmonds WA 98020

perry@well.UUCP (05/26/87)

In article <1912@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
> There was a thread about this going on in BIX awhile ago, at least I think
> that's what this product refers to.  Simply put, its a program that adds
> intelligent track caching (i.e. at the device level) instead to DOS's block
> caching.  Also, the caching memory can be FAST memory; its not required to
> be chip memory as are normal floppy buffers or DOS's block caches.  From
> what Perry said, you have the power to add or remove caches at any time.
> With enough tracks cached, you get what essentially amounts to a RAMdisk
> overlay of a floppy disk.
> --
> Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh

Facc (available now at dealers near you or direct) is in fact an intelligently
managed buffer pool. The pool exists and  is  shared by all drives in the same
way that a Unix system's buffer pool is shared by all drives. That is,  as one
drive becomes  more heavily used it will begin reusing buffers previously used
by other drives.

Facc presents a graphic  display detailing exactly what's going on in the buf-
fer pool so that you can tailor  the size of  the  buffer pool to greatly opt-
imize any particular recurring operation which you might have.

The caching is by sector not by track. Writes  are written  through the cache.
Disk removal causes automatic cache invalidation for that drive.

One interesting but  pleasant anomoly is that Facc searches 500 or so buffers
faster than AmigaDOS  searches  16  buffers  allocated using addbuffers. This
can be explained by the data structures used by both implementations.

We suggest that NO addbuffers buffers should be employed whenusing Facc since
they are a) redundant b) slower c) come from Chip ram.

As Dave Haynie suggests, the really  neat  thing  about Facc is that it gives
you ram disk  like  performance  from a very stable basis (a real floppy) and
at the same  time is more efficient (ram wise) than a ram disk for low memory
applications. (ie:  when  you  haven't  got MANY megabytes of ram to throw at
a ram disk - Facc is a better  bet  since  it only caches what you are REALLY
using unlike a ram disk which ``caches'' everything.)

Perry S. Kivolowitz
ASDG Incorporated
(201) 563-0529

richard@pnet02.UUCP (05/28/87)

What happens when my machine guru's with Facc? Can I lose data ?

UUCP: {akgua!crash, hplabs!hp-sdd!crash}!gryphon!pnet02!richard
INET: richard@pnet02.CTS.COM

perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (05/29/87)

In article <558@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@pnet02.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> What happens when my machine guru's with Facc? Can I lose data ?

Facc will  not cause data  to be lost during a guru anymore than running the
Amiga without Facc. If you  guru during no read or write operation to floppy
then there is no difference with our without Facc. If you guru during a read
from floppy then there is  no difference with or without Facc (in fact, Facc
might even prevent disk damage if the sector was being read from an internal
buffer thus the  heads  would  *not* be in motion when the guru occured). If
the guru happened during a write operation, Facc is specifically designed to
ensure that  Floppy writes  occur in the same manner that they would if Facc
was not present.

In summation, Facc will not alter the survivability of data in any way.

scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) (06/04/87)

In article <3173@well.UUCP> perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) writes:
>In article <558@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@pnet02.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>> What happens when my machine guru's with Facc? Can I lose data ?
>>
> [ long article which may or may not have cleared it up for the original
> poster ]
As originally stated Facc uses a 'write thru' cache. What this means is that
when writes to the disk occur the data is written to the disk without hanging
around in Facc for awhile.

The intent of this is to get the data onto the drive as quickly as possible to
avoid the problem brought up about Mr. Guru coming by for a visit at the
wrong time.

However, there are some fine points about this kind of caching that Perry did
not address in his posting.

1. Some 'write thru' caches will copy the data to the cache before the data is
written to disk. This leaves a small window in which data can be lost. Perry
states that Facc doesn't change the order in which things get written. This
probably means Facc doesn't fall into this type of cache.

2. You CAN have a write thru cache that doesn't copy into the cache on writes.
But these kinds of caches must invalidate any cached data for the block that
was just written. And must re-read the block just written into the cache.
This is bad because I've noticed that amigadog writes file extension blocks
and then turns right around and re-reads them.

3. A write thru cache can write the data and THEN copy it into the cache.

But most often when the phrase 'write thru cache' is used # 2 above is the
scheme.

Perry also writes:
>then there is no difference with our without Facc. If you guru during a read
>from floppy then there is  no difference with or without Facc (in fact, Facc
>might even prevent disk damage if the sector was being read from an internal
>buffer thus the  heads  would  *not* be in motion when the guru occured). If
I fail to see what advantage there is to the heads not being in motion when a
guru occurs. This smells of the misleading data that others wish to suppress
around here.

It should also be pointed out that the "System Request Task Held" requester is
NOT the end of the road in many cases. Multi-tasking is usually still active
so that non-write thru caches, like the one used by trackdisk.device, can get
a chance to write out to the disk before Mr. Guru pops up and shuts down the
box.

In fact you can often use popcli to get a CLI to use to copy files off RAM:
before clicking continue to go see the guru. Such files should be inspected
carefully for damage though once the system is back up. Loose pointers get
program's guru'd and files in RAM: damaged.

And for those that REALLY want something to worry over, ;) a loose pointer
can also wack a cache just before it gets written to disk... Which makes the
grace period given by the "Task Held" requester somewhat suspect, but I'm a
bettin' man. I'd rather risk the odds that a loose pointer didn't get my
trackdisk.device (or xxxdisk.device) cache than risk that there IS something
undamaged in a cache that should be written out.

But if the memory in your Amiga goes "soft", like the ram in my Amiga is doing,
the odds of a cache going bad DO go up. I've had various files on my floppy
and hard disks go bad recently that I've only READ not written. For example I
had a header file from C-A that had the misfortune of being on the same track
as a file I had been writing to convert to gibberish part way through the file.

Since the Amiga doesn't have parity checked main memory it's important to take
evidence that the main memory in your Amiga is getting soft SERIOUSLY.

The floppy you save could be your one and only copy of something. :)

Scott Turner
--
L5 Computing, the home of Merlin, Arthur, Excalibur and the CRAM.
GEnie: JST | UUCP: stride!l5comp!scotty | 12311 Maplewood Ave; Edmonds WA 98020
If Motorola had wanted us to use BPTR's they'd have built in shifts on A regs
[ BCPL? Just say *NO*! ] (I don't smoke, send flames to /dev/null)

perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (06/06/87)

Scott,
	The order of events on writing with Facc is:

	1) search cache - toss out buffer if block to be written
	   is found. (very fast - just a few instructions).
	2) write block to disk.
	3) load block into cache.

That  should  clear  things up concerning writes with Facc. As mentioned
before - the upgrade policy of Facc is going to be ``eternal'' and free.
Send  in original disk with a stamped self addressed envelope and get an
update back promptly.

FaccII is already well under way. Was it Steve or Tomas who suggested:
1) Enable/Disable retention on writes (step 3 above).
2) Multi-speed ``more'' and ``fewer.''
3) Direct dialing of number of buffers (integer gadget).

These three features are already in  - as well as one I'd like to announce
now: If you have an application under development which would benefit from
Facc like services - please contact  me. FaccII has an easily used message
interface allowing *your*  application  to directly controll FacII's oper-
ations. We'll make  FaccII  available  for redistribution as a value added
part of your application.

Please email me any thoughts on new features for FaccII - these will be
cited in the FaccII manual of course.

Cheers,

Perry S. Kivolowitz
(201) 563-0529