[comp.sys.amiga] Type & DME

mwm@eris.UUCP (05/26/87)

In article <122@gtss.UUCP> chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) writes:
<Its not a poor measure of Blitz since you can't go through life using nothing
<but DME.  Well, I can't.  We gotta see what Blitz does with a variety of
<applications.  I would still like to know if Type's speed was deliberately
<reduced.

I'd be surprised if type was really deliberately slowed down. It just
does more. For instance, try C-c'ing a type, and then a copy to *.
Likewise, type probably checks to see if it needs to convert to hex
before printing each byte, and to see if it needs to print a number at
the start of each line. You might try and chase down Rob Pike's
comments on the bsd "cat" command for insights on this kind of thing.
I do recall a claim of speeding up cat up by a factor of five by
stripping this stuff from it.

<I find people have been mentioning DME for a reason, however.  We are
<fortunate that DME lets us issue commands like, paraphrasing,
<	page down 50 times.
<Many editors would not let us do enough automatic pagings to time them.  So
<now for the results.

I consider this a flaw in dme. Mg will let you page down 50 times. But
it doesn't update the display if there are outstanding commands from
the user. The result of "page down 50 times" is to skip forward 50
pages, and display that page.

	<mike
--
How many times do you have to fall			Mike Meyer
While people stand there gawking?			mwm@berkeley.edu

dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (06/07/87)

>I consider this a flaw in dme. Mg will let you page down 50 times. But
>it doesn't update the display if there are outstanding commands from
>the user. The result of "page down 50 times" is to skip forward 50
>pages, and display that page.

	I agree, but I would have to rewrite half of DME to fix it.   This
does slow me down when I'm doing major search and replaces... say, converting
lfs to cr-lfs.

P.S. I know this was posted a *long* time ago... but only got to it now
after reading nearly 600 messages from the end backwards.

			-Matt