[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga: A market analysis

denbeste@cc5.bbn.com.BBN.COM (Steven Den Beste) (05/30/87)

This is an attempt to describe and analyze all the markets which the Amiga
could conceivably be sold to:

   Business:
   The business marketplace is well described by two words: "timidity" and
   "inertia". The problem that any innovater in a business has is that if
   he proposes a radical idea and moves heaven and earth to get it into
   place, two things can happen: It might succeed, in which case his boss
   will take credit, or it might fail, in which case he himself gets the
   blame. So why try? That is why two things happen: any tool takes a long
   time to get established, but once it does it takes on a life of its own.
   Computerland still makes a bundle selling XT's because it is known and
   trusted and understood. It's obsolete, too, but who cares about that?
   I see this market breaking three ways:

      Secretary's desk - First there was the manual typewriter, then the
      electric typewriter, then the auto-correcting electric, then the
      Wang (a trademark) word processor which was better but very expensive.
      All those typewriters came from IBM, so when IBM finally decided
      to sell computers in this market, the business world breathed a
      collective sigh of relief and went back to a manufacturer they trusted.
      Important questions asked by people in this market:
         1. Does it work reliably?
         2. Will the manufacturer be around tomorrow?
         3. Who will repair it when it breaks, and how long will they take?
         4. When they repair it, will it stay repaired?
         5. Is there any way that this is risky?
      Strange as it may sound, price is not a consideration in this market.
      Any solution under perhaps $4000 is acceptable.
      As far as I can tell right now, this market is split between the PC and
      the MAC. I would hate to try to guess proportions, but I suspect that
      the PC has a substantial edge - because it is less risky, and for no
      other reason. There is a truism: "Nobody ever got fired for recommending
      purchase of IBM equipment." I think the Amiga has no prayer of
      penetrating this market: Commodore is an unknown quanitity, it is thus
      a very risky proposition to use the Amiga, repair service isn't
      sufficiently easy or fast, and it doesn't have any commensurate
      advantages to outweigh these drawbacks.

      Manager's desk - Sometime after the secretaries began to have computers
      on their desks, their bosses noticed them and decided they couldn't
      live without them. This began in the accounting market with a guy who
      decided he had to do spreadsheets, and spread from there. As best
      I've been able to observe, only three kinds of programs run on this
      machine: Spreadsheet, Scheduling aid (PERT or equivalent), Word
      processor (yes, because many managers are finding that it is easier
      and faster to type a letter than to dictate it; but they do so in
      rough form, then give a disk to their secretary, who cleans it up
      and prints it - which means they have to have the same computer, and
      here lies the heart of some savvy marketting campaigns...). Essentially
      the same questions are asked here as for the secretary, and for
      the same reasons the Amiga probably hasn't got a prayer. I'd like to
      take this opportunity to emphasize that technical excellence doesn't
      mean a damn thing in this market, nor does price matter much. Again,
      IBM mostly owns this market. In fact, the PC was designed for
      precisely this market.

      Executive "badge" - Once the lower level managers in the company start
      having computers on their desks, it became a corporate badge, like
      the floor your office was on, or the number of secretaries passed to
      reach that office, or how many windows it had, or whether you had a
      reserved parking place. This computer is in the office to be seen,
      not to be used. Snob appeal is the key here. The more expensive the
      computer the better (up to a point - then it becomes conspicuous
      consumption and is a bit gauche). Also, though, it has to be
      extremely easy to understand and learn for someone who doesn't
      know very much about computers. The PC-AT has this market cold, and
      much as I despise MS-DOS, it is an almost ideal operating system for
      people like this (or the other managers). For all its faults, it is
      easy to learn and understand. This guy doesn't need the power of an
      AT, but that has nothing to do with anything. Amiga hasn't got a
      prayer here except with mavericks - it hasn't got any snob appeal.
      Only name brands matter - it is a symbol and must be recognized as
      such. (By the way, portables have made significant inroads in this
      market... the proof is that IBM finally broke down and started selling
      one.)

   Engineering development workstation: This market consists of trying to
   replace all the terminals which are hooked with central computers with
   individual computers on each engineer's desk. Main competitors in this
   market are Apollo and Sun, with Metheus, Mentor, Tektronix and (sigh)
   IBM also trying to get into it. I've heard that right now Sun dominates
   it and I've heard that they deserve to. Three kinds desks are of
   concern here:

      SW - Snob appeal plays very little in this decision. Instead, the
      questions run more like this: What tools are available for it
      (including big-time stuff like networking, cross-assemblers and
      cross-compilers)? How reliable is it? How easy is its use? How good
      is its documentation? Who repairs it and how long do they take?
      How likely is it that the company will surivive? Networking is
      essential here, as is a built-in hard disk and some way of doing
      regular and reliable backups of it.

      HW - HW guys are almost as knowledgeable about software and tools
      as SW guys, but the tools they need are much different: circuit
      CAD, circuit simulators, auto-layout programs - these are heavy duty
      number-crunching programs, so to a much greater extent than SW guys
      they will be concerned about MIPS count. They also need hard disks
      backup, and perhaps networking (though it is less important). Also
      interface to plotters is vital.

      ME - I don't understand this market very well, so the following are
      guesses: Architectural and mechanical CAD packages are necessary,
      as well as interface to plotters and relative ease of use - but these
      people are not fools and don't need an oatmeal operating system.
      They need power and are willing to make concessions to get it.

   Global comments: Price is a critical issue here: NO engineering group ever
   has as large a capital budget as it would like, but their needs in
   instrument-count is constant, so the cheaper, the closer they can
   come to buying all they need. However, price is the means by which they
   will decide among products satisfying the other criteria. They will not
   buy something that doesn't solve their problem no matter how cheap.
   A1000 loses out here: no networking and no hard disk. A2000 may just
   barely squeeze in if someone writes the software - then folks who don't
   need networking may consider it. I consider this an outside possibility;
   Commodore just doesn't have the reputation that it needs;
   "You want us to buy our development tools from a maker of Video Games???"

   Lab automation: There are a heck of a lot of small, medium or large
   laboratories in this country, and they spend a lot of money on
   equipment, almost all of which comes with IEEE-488 interfaces (GPIB
   to old-timers like me), and for obvious reasons they'd like to
   control all of them with a computer and analyze the results with
   it. There are some computers designed for this purpose specifically,
   and I would guess that right now Hewlett Packard dominates this area.
   No computer without a GPIB interface would even be considered.

   Factory automation: How many of you can say "Relay Ladder Logic"?
   Originally factory automation was with relays. You think the business
   world is conservative? The computers that they use now for this job
   literally present the system as a series of simulated relays, which
   the electrician connects as if they were real, in order to get the
   performance he asked for. The computer presenting this morass
   goes through heroic transformations to turn it into something it knows
   how to handle. Amiga in this market? Forget it.

   Broadcasting: Radio broadcasting isn't any different from any other
   business as far as the Amiga is concerned, but TV? That's another matter.
   Anybody want to compete with Grass Valley Group? Incredibly reliable,
   very powerful and grossly expensive. The potential exists here to
   put the Amiga in at the low end creating graphics for TV news or sports.
   I'm afraid that the Amiga's graphics, nice as they are, may still not
   be quite up to it. First off, you gotta dispense with those guard-bands
   on the side of the screen (I think I've heard that the latest DPAINT
   can do this - I know that the version of IMAGES I've got can't).
   You've got to generate NTSC standard graphics - and that means interlace.
   I suspect that only the 640*400 (plus guardband area) mode is good enough,
   and then the question is "Are 16 colors sufficient?" Maybe for the
   low end, no way for the high end. In any case, a heck of a lot of good
   software would be needed, and it wouldn't be cheap to purchase since it
   probably would only sell a few hundred copies...

   Education: Even as I write this the sight of a computer in a class room
   is as common as the sight of a movie projector (maybe more - I bet they
   are replacing the projectors with VCRs). They are really used for two
   kinds of things: Teaching about computers, and teaching about everything.
   The latter isn't a very well explored area for a variety of reasons (not
   the least of which is that schools are notoriusly bad software pirates!)
   but the Children's Television Workshop has done some good things for the
   Coco. The first question and the last question asked when purchasing is "How
   much does it cost?" The other question is "How much educational
   software is available for it?" "How powerful is it?" isn't a consideration,
   since if it is slow that means that a student waits (and a student's time
   doesn't cost the school system anything). Frankly, Amiga should do very
   poorly here - these folks buy things like Cocos and C64s!

   Musicians: I don't pretend to understand this bunch. The impression I
   have gotten is that the ST is doing better here than Amiga because it
   has a built-in MIDI port and because the software support for Amiga
   isn't very good, but I could be wrong. In any case this doesn't appear
   to be a very large market, since musicians are notoriously poor.

   Hobby: And then there are the people who buy computers for themselves,
   just to play with:

      high school students: Despite Commodore's ludicrous "If you don't buy
      your kid a Vic-20 he'll grow up to be a rock musician" ad campaign,
      the principle is becoming more and more true: A high school student
      WILL do better in school if he or she owns a computer at home. Many
      parents take this to heart, but having had experience with at least
      one musical instrument which is now collecting dust in the closet,
      $500 is probably the most you can expect such a parent to spend.
      "Maybe later we'll buy something better, but for now let's get something
      cheap and see if he likes it." Who do you think has been buying
      all those C64's all these years?

      adult self-education: Then there is the 50-year-old who has, all these
      years, been afraid of automated bank tellers and whose image of computers
      bears a strong resemblence to HAL, but buckles down and decides that,
      by gum, he's really going to get a computer and try to learn what these
      things do. His language of choice is Basic (when it isn't FORTH)
      and his purchasing habits are all across the spectrum. NOBODY can
      predict what this guy will buy, and it is a sufficiently nebulous
      market group that I don't see how anyone could target it - but IBM
      has given it a try. One reason is that there is substantial overlap
      between this group and the "senior executive" group above, which is
      why the "little tramp" image - easy, friendly, loving, nonintimidating.
      ("Everyman" uses the PC, easily, and solves his problem...)
      Some of these guys are impressed with nifty-keens, and perhaps the
      Amiga might penetrate with them, but this group is almost archetypally
      cautious - name-brands win out here. Much as we'd like to believe
      otherwise, Commodore isn't a name brand with most people - I bet
      that fewer than 10% of the people have ever heard of them, compared
      to (I bet) 75% or more for IBM.

      technotoy freaks: You know who you are... fascinated by technical
      innovation and unimpressed (or even negatively impressed) by big
      names. I divide this group into two classes: Poor and Affluent.
      The poor ones (or let's be charitable: "frugal ones") buy ST's,
      the affluent ones (or to be uncharitable: "spendthrifts") buy
      Amiga's. (The very-affluent-and-stupid buy Macs - but I can't conceive
      why anyone in their right mind would buy a Mac for home use...)

I have just read an article asking why Amiga doesn't try for another
market nitch. As far as I can see, there just isn't another one that it
can compete in as it currently exists. There are a couple that the
A2000 might do slightly well in, but in each case it will be fighting
an uphill battle. The fabled A2000 IBM compatability is intended to give
them a prayer in the business market (which is larger than all the others
combined) - but they still have a massive problem penetrating the
inertia, with the risk-factor of the repair service they don't have
(compared to what IBM has, anyway, with on-site repair guaranteed within
24 hours). That kind of thing is worth twenty times what nifty-graphics is
or other such.

Most of the people I have seen here trying to redesign the Amiga to make
it commercially successful have concentrated on more nifty features - and
only the technotoy freaks care about that, and Commodore has already
saturated that market. What would you suggest they do (besides improving
their repair service up to the level of IBM's and what they've done for
the A2000)?
--

     Steven Den Beste
     Bolt Beranek & Newman, Cambridge MA

"The voice within the candle whispers of a timeless peace beyond." - Paul Winter

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (05/31/87)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.41.1 of Thu Apr  9 1987 on linus (berkeley-unix)

>   Engineering development workstation: This market consists of trying to
>   replace all the terminals which are hooked with central computers with
>   individual computers on each engineer's desk. Main competitors in this
>   market are Apollo and Sun....
>   A1000 loses out here: no networking and no hard disk. A2000 may just
>   barely squeeze in if someone writes the software - then folks who don't
>   need networking may consider it. I consider this an outside possibility;
>   Commodore just doesn't have the reputation that it needs;
>   "You want us to buy our development tools from a maker of Video Games???"

Actually, I'm fairly confident that the Amiga, if properly marketed,
*could* sell well as a low-end CAD/engineering workstation, a cheap
alternative to Sun workstations.

Hard disks, Ethernet, and NFS are available for Amiga 1000s, and the
situation should be even better with A2000s.  And Amiga graphics and
speed would certainly be fast enough (esp. with a 68020 upgrade) to
compete effectively with Suns as engineering workstations.  But there
are two more conditions I believe are necessary for Amiga to compete
effectively in this area.

1.  The graphics *must* be improved still further.  A maximum
noninterlaced resolution of 640 x 200 was neat for personal computers
in 1985, but it's not enough to compete with Sun today.  (Even IBM
PC/AT's have add-on video boards that give better resolution than
this!)  If it were possible to get 1000 x 1000 resolution on the
A2000, Commodore might then have a real winner in the engineering
market.

2.  AmigaDos has got to go.  If Unix became available on A2000's, then
engineering houses that have standardized on Unix workstations (like
Suns) could simply hang Amigas and Suns interchangeably on the same
Ethernet.  The engineers wouldn't need to learn another (not as good)
operating system; and the same CAD tools would run on both Amigas and
Suns.

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford
UUCP:  ...{cbosgd,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,security,utzoo}!linus!sdl

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (06/01/87)

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) wrote:
>A maximum noninterlaced resolution of 640 x 200 ... is not enough
>to compete with Sun ... If it were possible to get 1000 x 1000 ...
>Commodore might then have a real winner in the engineering market.

Well, you need to remember cost.  I favor a 640x400 (or a little more
if you use MOREROWS) display, with a "superbitmap" window, so I can
get 1k x 1k (or 2k x 2k even) and keep the cost down.

Alas, I can say no more, except something exciting is happening, and
the biggest complaint against the Amiga may soon become moot.  Of course
people can still complain about no MMU, right?

..Bob

PS I don't have any connection with any company or product that you may
have inferred that I was talking about here, OK?  Ssshhhh...

--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.   page@ulowell.{uucp,edu,csnet}

denbeste@cc5.bbn.com.BBN.COM (Steven Den Beste) wrote:
>This is an attempt to describe and analyze all the markets which the Amiga
>could conceivably be sold to:

Wow!  Somebody is really thinking about this?  Too bad Steven is a little
far north, I guess he doesn't work in West Chester... sigh.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.   page@ulowell.{uucp,edu,csnet}

jmpiazza@sunybcs.UUCP (Joseph M. Piazza) (06/01/87)

In article <1444@cc5.bbn.com.BBN.COM> denbeste@cc5.bbn.com.BBN.COM (Steven
Den Beste) writes:
> ... I think the Amiga has no prayer of penetrating [the business] market:
>Commodore is an unknown quanitity, it is thus a very risky proposition
>to use the Amiga, repair service isn't sufficiently easy or fast, and
>it doesn't have any commensurate advantages to outweigh these drawbacks.

	When speaking with a manager (or whatever) of a successful computer
dealership who's main source of business is in field sales, he told me that
he wouldn't touch Commodore systems ever since they got screwed when Commodore
bailed out somehow in the calculator market -- after assuring dealerships
that they wouldn't.

	Anyone have more details on this?  Isn't this similar to what
happened when Commodore dumped 64's to the K-Market?  I would like to have
more info on this subject.  Anyone willing e-mail a brief but comprehensive
history lesson?  If there's sufficient interest, I'll summarize and post.

	The result is that many dealers (well, at least the one that I
talked to) treat Commodore as a known quantity -- one that will leave
you holding the wrong end of the stick.

Flip side,

	joe piazza

--- Cogito ergo equus sum.

(Yes, Leo, it does mean "I think therefore I am a horse" -- but then again,
maybe not -- I never studied Latin :-)

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
(716) 636-3191, 3180

UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!jmpiazza
CS: jmpiazza@buffalo-cs
BI: jmpiazza@sunybcs
GE: jmpiazza

kurt@doodah.UUCP (06/03/87)

Steven Den Beste writes:

> This is an attempt to describe and analyze all the markets which the Amiga
> could conceivably be sold to:
>
>    Broadcasting: Radio broadcasting isn't any different from any other
>    business as far as the Amiga is concerned, but TV? That's another matter.
>    Anybody want to compete with Grass Valley Group? Incredibly reliable,
>    very powerful and grossly expensive. The potential exists here to
>    put the Amiga in at the low end creating graphics for TV news or sports.
>    I'm afraid that the Amiga's graphics, nice as they are, may still not
>    be quite up to it. First off, you gotta dispense with those guard-bands

Everybody talks about TV, and I admit, the Amiga with its current capabilities
and peripherals are not acceptable for broadcast, but there is a *huge*
market in industrial video.  These are the guys who make training tapes and
the promo tapes you see at the home show.  An Amiga can give these video
productions a lot of class with a few well placed titles and animations.  I
know because I have a little business that does this.  I run it out of my house
in my off hours ( I work for Boeing during the day) and have more than paid
for my two Amigas and all the gear and software.  The animations are fun to
make and business is good.  If you look in the phone book you'll see lots of
little video companies that can use this service/product.  I also have a friend
with a <$6K Midi studio.  He makes elevator music to pay for his stuff.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are a lot of applications in the
arts for Amigas, but people have to use their imaginations ( as well as good
marketing ) and Commodore should try to spark that rather than compete in
well-developed areas.  I network Macs during the day and use them for a
million things.  I would never give up my Mac for an Amiga at the office, but
the Amiga is also very special in it's own right.  I might get a Mac II because
of the 256 colors, but if CBM would come out with an 8-bit plane Amiga, I would
certainly stick with Commodore.

Amigas are wonderful -- isn't that enough?

Kurt VanderSluis

kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) (06/07/87)

Steve,
	Really excellent analysis, and right on the money.  The answer to
	your last question (whom should Commodore target) was implicit in
	what you wrote, and is part of my guess that the A2000 won't do
	nearly as well as the A1000.

	Commodore should target the technofreaks, again!  Instead of bringing
	out compatibility with the outdated IBM PC (who cares - I wouldn't have
	had one when they were new - no innovations!), and turning off the
	technophiles, Commodore should 	have concentrated on a 68020/68881/mmu
	true 32 bit machine, running 25 MHz with about 4 meg of memory
	standard, better color (at least 780 x 512, and preferably 1024 x 780)
	and more color (9 or 12 bit planes), better sound (12 bit resolution,
	4 or 8 channel, faster sample rate, built in MIDI (why not use the
	standard?)); a long persistance monitor so folks would stop bitching
	about the flicker; SCSI built in so cheap hard disks could be had, and
	a cleaned up operating system a bit closer to UNIX.  If they could
	have brought this in at $3000 or even $3500, most of us who bought the
	A1000 would have been beating down the door to get in, and the
	engineering workstation types would have been running roughshod over
	our backs to beat us to the cash register.

	Poor as I am, I really wasn't paying much attention to price when I
	bought Amy, and I doubt the rest of the crowd was, either.  Why do
	you suppose that Commodore brought out an "upgrade" that ignored the
	one market they had successfully penetrated?
Kent.
--
Kent Paul Dolan, LCDR, NOAA, Retired; ODU MSCS grad student	 // Yet
UUCP  :  kent@xanth.UUCP   or    ...{sun,harvard}!xanth!kent	// Another

jrusso@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP (06/07/87)

In article <1180@xanth.UUCP> kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>Steve,
>	Really excellent analysis, and right on the money.  The answer to
	I agree. It was quite good. But thats All I agree with here.
>	Commodore should target the technofreaks, again!  Instead of bringing
>	out compatibility with the outdated IBM PC (who cares - I wouldn't have
>	had one when they were new - no innovations!), and turning off the
>	technophiles, Commodore should 	have concentrated on a 68020/68881/mmu
>	true 32 bit machine, running 25 MHz with about 4 meg of memory
	[cut out lots of high price addition suggestions]

>	Poor as I am, I really wasn't paying much attention to price when I
>	bought Amy, and I doubt the rest of the crowd was, either.  Why do
>	you suppose that Commodore brought out an "upgrade" that ignored the
>	one market they had successfully penetrated?
>Kent.
	First of all, I don't see the connection between adding options
to a system and turning off the hacker market. They gave you an extra
possibility to expand-whats wrong with that? I also despise IBM, but
IBM compatibility will help sell to non techonophiles, and shouldn't
turn off the techies either. I'm basically a hacker, but I work for
a computer dealer who used to sell Amigas. But we don't anymore. Why?
1> Its not an IBM compatible-that makes it hard to sell to anyone but
  a hobbyist. And hobbyists dont spend lots of extra money for extras.
2> Not enough profit margin. When a dealer can sell an IBM clone for $800
 with 5 minutes devoted to a sale, and make a 100% profit, the Amiga
 becomes undesirable to a dealer. It takes a lot more time to sell this
 computer where the profit marging is only around 20% for the going
 price.

	The Amiga 2000 has answered both these problems. Like it or not,
IBM compatibility is the first thing the average buyer asks about for
a computer - so it had better be at LEAST an option. And its got to
have a good profit for a dealer. Its nice to be able to buy a good
system cheaply, but not if noone sells it. But this has a limit. Adding
all those great ideas of your is going to SEVERELY increase the price.
Remember - if you add $1000 to dealer cost, you have to add $2000 to
price - dealers want margins. Do you really believe that people will be
willing to spend the prices that that would require? With dealer margins
we're probably talking more than a MacII, which everyone already complains
about pricewise.

	I dont know about the net at large, but out of around 20 or 30
local Amiga owners, I think one would have an AMiga if it cost that much-
and it wouldn't be me. And out of the 11 Amigas I've sold, not one of them
would have been sold with the configuration you suggest.
>--
>Kent Paul Dolan, LCDR, NOAA, Retired; ODU MSCS grad student	 // Yet

	Mark Carroll
	Carroll@aim.rutgers.edu

	** This has been cross posted by topaz!jrusso. Please
	   don't send me the flames!				**