[comp.sys.amiga] New Agnes chip

toddb@umbc3.UUCP (06/04/87)

 I was at a local computer dealer the other night and saw both
the 2000 and 500. The 2000 had 3 megs of memory and a hard drive,
really nice machine. It also had a new version of the Agnes chip,
that addresses 1 MEG of CHIP memory. We ran deluxe paint II,
deluxe video and ageis images all at the same time.
 The dealer also stated that the upgrade for the 1000 will cost $1000.

Well CA any comments?

Todd
(well maybe this is all a dream)
Bitnet toddb@umbc
arpa  toddb@umbc3.umd.edu
My bbs (301)455-3630

cmcmanis@pepper.UUCP (06/05/87)

In article <348@umbc3.UMD.EDU> (Todd Bernard) writes:
> I was at a local computer dealer the other night and saw both
> the 2000 and 500. The 2000 had 3 megs of memory and a hard drive,
> really nice machine. It also had a new version of the Agnes chip,
> that addresses 1 MEG of CHIP memory.
[BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT! Sound of loud buzzer going of.]
I'm sorry that is incorrect. The new 'FAT' Agnes includes some of the
peripheral circuitry that used to be on the motherboard. You could
have checked this two ways, first you could have looked in the user
manual (which at least for the 500 includes the pinout of the Agnes
chip, and schematics of the system) or second you could have run any
number of memory 'display' routines and seen that indeed only 512K
of your three meg was indeed 'chip' memory. What this means of course
is if you plug 3 Meg of RAM on your A1000 you get the same results,
eg :
> We ran deluxe paint II, deluxe video and ageis images all at the same time.
> The dealer also stated that the upgrade for the 1000 will cost $1000.

Deluxe paint II opens a 320X200X5 screen as does Aegis Images, and
Deluxe Video (although it opens a 320X200X6 dual playfield screen).
When the O/S isn't in chip ram this is doable. As for the upgrade
cost, I haven't heard that one.

>Todd
>(well maybe this is all a dream)

--Chuck McManis

spierce@pnet01.CTS.COM (Stuart Pierce) (06/06/87)

I was told that the Amiga 2000 would NOT have 1 MEG of CHIP RAM, and that the
standard amount of RAM for the 2000 would still be 1 MEG.  - Stuart Pierce -

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (06/07/87)

In article <348@umbc3.UMD.EDU> toddb@umbc3.umd.edu.UUCP (Todd Bernard) writes:

>  I was at a local computer dealer the other night and saw both
> the 2000 and 500. The 2000 had 3 megs of memory and a hard drive,
> really nice machine. It also had a new version of the Agnes chip,
> that addresses 1 MEG of CHIP memory. We ran deluxe paint II,
> deluxe video and ageis images all at the same time.
>  The dealer also stated that the upgrade for the 1000 will cost $1000.
>
> Well CA any comments?
>
> Todd
> (well maybe this is all a dream)

Well, it must have been a dream.  It is quite possible that such a chip
may exist in the not-too-distant-future, but more certain that it does
not exist in any material form at this time.

It seems that either you or your dealer has confused possibility with
reality.  Sorry about that...

The A500 does contain a new version of the Agnus chip, referred to as
"Fat Agnus".  This chip supports access to a total of 1MB internal memory
however only 512K is blitter accessable or "chip memory".  All A2000's
produced to date use the A1000 version of Agnus.

lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP (06/08/87)

In article <1973@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:

>The A500 does contain a new version of the Agnus chip, referred to as
>"Fat Agnus".  This chip supports access to a total of 1MB internal memory
>however only 512K is blitter accessable or "chip memory".  All A2000's
>produced to date use the A1000 version of Agnus.

I noticed the "to date" in there.  Any truth too what we've been hearing thru
various services that the "newer" (read: US) A2000 will use Fat Agnus??

Inquiring minds want to know...

--
		"Truth is false and logic lost..."
					- Neil Peart