[comp.sys.amiga] Startup-sequence CLI problems

slc@hoptoad.uucp (Steve Costa) (05/22/87)

Following up to my recent question about installing ConMan as part of the
startup-sequence:

I now have most of it working thanks to the help of several people.
The approach I took was to create a startup-sequence like this:

mount vd0:
dir >nil: vd0:
s:conman
run wait 3+
newcli from s:start2 con:0/0/672/215/CLI
endcli >nil:

This runs my startup details from "start2" and also regains 1> for my
main CLI window.

Only two minor problems remain. I've done some investigation on them, but
as yet haven't figured them out:

1. The program I wrote, incorporating stuff from ConPackets, to find the
   console window and make it borderless doesn't have any effect. I need to
   look at it more to see if I did something wrong, unless anybody knows any
   obvious reason why it won't work

2. I use a replacement Echo command that takes options that allow control
   of background/foreground colors, typeface, underline, etc.
   When I use it with my new startup this program goes bananas and spews
   garbage on the screen continuously, without stopping. I don't know
   what combination of events is causing this. If anyone is familiar with
   this program (author Larry Phillips) and knows why this happend and if
   ther is some way of fixing it, I'd appreciate some advice.

    /   Steve Costa

lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) (05/22/87)

In article <2159@hoptoad.uucp> slc@hoptoad.UUCP (Steve Costa) writes:

>Only two minor problems remain. I've done some investigation on them, but
>as yet haven't figured them out:

In case you missed the discussion a while back, Conman is not a perfect
implementation of the CON: device.  MORE on the 1.2 extras disk for example
always returns with an "insufficient memory" error.

I understand the author has been in touch with Carolyn (of CATS fame) and is
working on 100% (or so) compatibility. (ie bug fixes)

Maybe this can replace CON: in the 1.3 release   :-)

--
		"Truth is false and logic lost..."
					- Neil Peart

hrlaser@pnet02.CTS.COM (Harv Laser) (05/25/87)

The problems you're experiencing could be Conman-related. I've noticed
that SetFont doesn't seem to do anything at all when Conman is loaded/
active. I occasionally find myself looking at two cursors as well when
I resize my CLI window and hit a return!  This would bother me, but the
author of ConMan recently released a newer version (0.98) so hopefully
sooner or later he'll improve it again and perhaps these problems will
go away. The utility I get from ConMan is enough to make these little
problems acceptable to me. Try removing Conman from your startup and
see if the problems go away. Then decide which way to go! :-)

Harv
PeopleLink: CBM*HARV

UUCP: {akgua!crash, hplabs!hp-sdd!crash}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.CTS.COM

timothyb@pnet01.UUCP (05/26/87)

Speaking of ConMan...

First of all, let me say this. I love it! What I would like to know is this:

Is there a way to make ConMan active in your startup cli? I don't EVER boot up
the workbench, although I guess I could if I had to. (I assume if I had ConMan
in my startup-sequence, when I opened a CLI from workbench it would be
active.) But I really don't want to do that. And I don't want to have to open
a newcli to use it, either. Is this possible???

Timothy B. Burleson
crash!pnet01!timothyb

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (05/29/87)

In article <1133@crash.CTS.COM> timothyb@pnet01.CTS.COM (Timothy Burleson) writes:

>Is there a way to make ConMan active in your startup cli? I don't EVER boot up
>the workbench, although I guess I could if I had to. (I assume if I had ConMan
>in my startup-sequence, when I opened a CLI from workbench it would be
>active.) But I really don't want to do that. And I don't want to have to open
>a newcli to use it, either. Is this possible???
>
>Timothy B. Burleson

 I dont know of a way to do this, but what we do gives the same end result.
We have edited the startup-sequence to look like:

run conman
stack 20000
addbuffers df0: 10
resident cli l:cli-resident replace
resident copy c:copy
resident dir c:dir
resident cd c:cd
resident list c:list
resident "delete" "c:delete"
resident diskcopy df0:system/diskcopy
path ram:
path add df0:system
newcli from s/shellstart     <=- this is the important line
binddrivers
endcli >nil:

 Now the file called "shellstart" in the s directory looks like:

loadwb
echo "Workbench Release 1.2"
prompt "1>"
date
date ?

 This closes the original "AmigaDos" window and open a "NewCLI" window with
Conman running. We then edited "NewCLI" with the shareware program called
FileZap so that when the NewCLI opens - it is full size.

 IE: Same end result - different path to the end :-)

--
  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Dan Schein >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
   Working for, but in no way officially representing

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (05/29/87)

In article <1948@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein SUPPORT) writes:
>In article <1133@crash.CTS.COM> timothyb@pnet01.CTS.COM (Timothy Burleson) writes:
>newcli from s/shellstart     <=- this is the important line

> This closes the original "AmigaDos" window and open a "NewCLI" window with
>Conman running. We then edited "NewCLI" with the shareware program called
>FileZap so that when the NewCLI opens - it is full size.

Or you can say:
newcli con:0/0/640/200/AmigaDOS from s:shellstart

without the need to patch NewCLI.
>  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Dan Schein >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

			andy finkel
--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore/Amiga

"An end is always a new beginning." - Captain Cloud

ali@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) (05/30/87)

In article <1949@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:
>Or you can say:
>newcli con:0/0/640/200/AmigaDOS from s:shellstart

Or, if you're at your friend's house and he leaves you alone with his/her
Amiga for a while, you can change that line in the startup-sequence to

newcli con:100/100/1/1/AmigaDos from s:shellstart

8-)   Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu

timothyb@pnet01.CTS.COM (Timothy Burleson) (05/31/87)

Dan,
   Thanks for the reply. I guess there really isn't a way to do what I ask
without opening a newcli or loading the workbench. Let me ask this: If I open
a newcli to take advantage of ConMan's features, then endcli the original cli,
will I have as much memory space available with cli2 as I did before doing the
newcli/endcli sequence?

Timothy B. Burleson
{akgua,hplabs!hp-sdd,sdcvax}!crash!pnet01!timothyb

I love Commodore and I'm not afraid to admit it.

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (06/01/87)

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein SUPPORT) wrote:
>resident cli l:cli-resident replace
>resident copy c:copy

...etc.  First, Dan, you should not be condoning (directly or indirectly)
the use of RESIDENT, as it is broken.  Second, regallar Amiga owners don't
have the RESIDENT command.  Not legally, anyway.

I understand that the point of the article was focused on a different
problem, and thanks for the solution to that one.

..Bob (Committee to Stamp Out Public RESIDENT Usage)

PS Or do you CBM'ers have a new RESIDENT command that actually works?
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.   page@ulowell.{uucp,edu,csnet}

spencer@eris.UUCP (06/10/87)

On thing that I didn't see mentioned in the "how do I run conman in my first
CLI" question was the ability to use cli task number 1.  The guy who posted
the startup-sequence had the second startup file issue the command
  prompt "1>"
which will eventually leave you with two CLI's that say "1>".  So, to get
around that problem I have got a startup-sequence that looks like this (sort
of):

echo "Use preferences tool to set time and date"
conman
run wait 5 +
newcli con:0/0/640/200/AmigaKitty
endcli > "con:100/50/250/150/Just ignore me!"

I don't really endcli > con:, but that sure is a cute idea!

Notice the "+" after the wait command. It causes the "run" command (cli
task 2) to run both wait, and newcli.

What happens is that the wait command before the newcli command gives the
first CLI window time to close.  What happens is the first CLI says "task 1
ending" and then sits there until all commands issued are complete.  Well,
when the wait finishes there are NO tasks running, so the next task is going
to be task 1.  NewCLI is the next command and it gets the slot.  When NewCLI
returns the original CLI's window(s) close, leaving just the second CLI, which
is task 1 and looks just like it was the only CLI ever around.  However, this
CLI has ConMan running in it.

I just thought I would pass on one of those many tidbits, I don't want to see
this showing up in Run or AmigaWorld with someone elses name on it now.

Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)284-4740
                         I N F I N I T Y                 BBS: (415)283-5469
Now working for          |||||||||||::::... . .                    BUD-LINX
Officially representing  ||||||||||||:::::... ..    ....ucbvax!mica!spencer
                         s o f t w a r e          spencer@mica.berkeley.edu