[comp.sys.amiga] A1000 or A500?

stack@unm-la.UUCP (AIDE Robert Stack) (06/10/87)

I will soon purchase an Amiga from a local dealer.  They are selling the
A1000 and the A500 for the same price ($1100 including monitor).  I like
the setup (detached keyboard, monitor on top of the CPU)  of  the  A1000
but also like the ROM-Kickstart and  improved  keyboard  layout  of  the
A500.  So now I am trying to decide  between  the  A1000  and  the  A500
(available July 1st).  I know that the machines are completely  software
compatible, but there  are  hardware  expansion  differences  (different
expansion bus locations).  I will be using the machine for  programming,
flying (subLOGIC Flight Simulator II), and as a  terminal.  Which  Amiga
will better for expanding (inexpensive hard drive,  more  RAM,  and  the
like) in the future?  Any enlightening comments?
--
/ Robert Stack / Univ. of New Mexico at Los Alamos / stack@unm-la.lanl.gov /

In article <652@unm-la.UUCP> stack@unm-la.UUCP (AIDE Robert Stack) writes:
> I will soon purchase an Amiga from a local dealer.  They are selling the
> A1000 and the A500 for the same price ($1100 including monitor).  I like
> the setup (detached keyboard, monitor on top of the CPU)  of  the  A1000
> but also like the ROM-Kickstart and  improved  keyboard  layout  of  the
> A500.  So now I am trying to decide  between  the  A1000  and  the  A500
> (available July 1st).  I know that the machines are completely  software
> compatible, but there  are  hardware  expansion  differences  (different
> expansion bus locations).  I will be using the machine for  programming,
> flying (subLOGIC Flight Simulator II), and as a  terminal.  Which  Amiga
> will better for expanding (inexpensive hard drive,  more  RAM,  and  the
> like) in the future?  Any enlightening comments?
>/ Robert Stack / Univ. of New Mexico at Los Alamos / stack@unm-la.lanl.gov /

First were they really the same price ? Some stores in Los Angeles have been
advertising them but the A500 included the extra .5M of RAM and the clock.

For program development I personally prefer a 1 megabyte Amiga with a
battery backed up clock, and a 20Meg (minimum) hard disk. If you are
using the A1000 you can get something like the MicroBotics StarBoard
II and the Supra Hard drive (which includes a clock in the Supra interface).
These are available today. The A500 can use the MicroBotics MAS-Drive
with a gender changer, but currently no one offers anything that plugs
into the side of the A500. As for Kick in ROM the CMI eliminator kit
has been getting favorable reviews here and elsewhere, plus that adds
an addition 256K of RAM to the A1000. All in all I would say the A1000
is a better deal. I also don't see that situation changing much unless
Commodore either raises the price of the 1000 or cuts the price of the
500.

(Oh, and get StarGlider for the Amiga, it is easily as much fun as flying
 around in FS II. _

--Chuck McManis
These opinions are my own and no one elses, but you knew that did51/serhro