[comp.sys.amiga] gameport

ds@milob.UUCP (06/08/87)

    Thank You Carolyn for your assistance and prod in the right direction,
    I appreciate your time and efforts. The AllocPotBits and WritePotBits
    took care of my Paula problems.

The fire button pin 6 of port 1 (right port) is connected to bit 7 of cia A.
Bryce Nesbitt not long ago posted information from the RKM about the 68000
structure for accessing cia.resource. How do you do it from C ? (ie. the
equivalent structure in C). I should be able to OpenResource("ciaa.resource")
then read and write this bit much like you can (atleast now) the PotGo bits
(pins). Can I access the other input pins (pin 4) without using the
gameport.device?

When I first started this project, I was using the absolute addresses (gasp!)
of the various pins and promptly ran into problems. I thought that if I
disabled interrupts I should be able to do what I needed without interference
from the operating system. I know that this is not kosher, but, it was just
suppose to be a quick one time thing during boot up. Anyway it looked like the
operating system refused to be disabled by disabling interrupts or Forbid(),
which says to me, Just what does Disable/Enable and Forbid/Permit do??

For me I find that I tend to get lost in the manuals, and find it hard to get
the information I need to accomplish the projects I set out to do. I find
that UN*X is far easier to understand than the Amiga. Is there some kind of
cross reference or permuted index of the various information in the manuals?
Am I still doomed to wade through all the manuals to see if anything is
written about various information I am trying to extract? Or, am I missing
something again...

After this week I'll be out of touch for a couple of weeks.

    regards, ds

David Sanborn
{ihnp4,akgua}!ingr!milob!ds

carolyn@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (06/13/87)

In article <431@milob.UUCP> ds@milob.UUCP (David Sanborn) writes:

>[]
>The fire button pin 6 of port 1 (right port) is connected to bit 7 of cia A.
>Bryce Nesbitt not long ago posted information from the RKM about the 68000
>structure for accessing cia.resource. How do you do it from C ? (ie. the
>equivalent structure in C). I should be able to OpenResource("ciaa.resource")
>then read and write this bit much like you can (atleast now) the PotGo bits
>(pins). Can I access the other input pins (pin 4) without using the
>gameport.device?

  Not too long, Phil Lindsay posted a parallel resource example which
used both the misc.resource and the cia.resource for safe direct control
of the parallel port.  His example could probably give you the shell
you need.  Check out comp.amiga.sources (?) - it may be there.  It is
also on Fish Disk #73.

  The cia register definitions, by the way, are in the 1.2 header
hardware/cia.h.  I believe you declare (for instance)

extern struct CIA ciaa;

and reference registers like:  c = ciaa.ciaprb

Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180